Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Followin' the Rules...

On your RCA CTC-44, the switches attached to the power bar have a habit of going bad - we replaced them in droves. I'd leave the set in the on position and use the cable box to do the power switching.

This assumes you have the 3" wide plated on-off "bar" switch. RCA called it a paddle, IIRC.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I believe it does have the bar. It is not plugged in at all--at the moment.

BUT---I DO plan on playing with it some more soon. To try and get some color out of the pix, and check the tube on my 70 too.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Mine has the bar. Its along the top of the panel just above the tuner knobs. And mine does have a little play in it. I don't know if that is the switch or the bar just needs to be tightened up.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Followin' the Rules...

The "on-off bar" on those RCAs was a bar attached to a pot-metal actuator that actuated two switches, much like those on the back of volume pots. We must have replaced a dozen of the actuators - toddlers liked to cycle them on and off, and some couldn't handle the stress. RCA never did upgrade the actuator to a better made unit. Instead, because of demand, they added the switch assembly to their "QT" (Quick Turnover) parts listing. I have one somewhere I salvaged from a junk RCA that got necked by some movers.

Of the two switches, one controlled the TV, and the other was for the instant on. Basically a diode across the open (off) contacts, passing half wave current to the filament of the CRT. The switch would fail (open all the time) with the symptoms of no picture, but HV was normal, or very dim pictures with the Brightness control all the way up. The diode would also fail (short) and put full voltage to the CRT. Good intentions, bad fail safe modes.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

ON the 44? A diode in the fil. line? That is a cold set--I would not expect that to be the case. Maybe on a hot set--like a CTC-36, 41 or 53 or so...

IIRC_-the cold RCA sets with I-O--(which I think is all of the flat chassis sets by them)--had a separate filamant tranny, with a resistor in line with it and when powered on, a switch shorted the resistor and applied full voltage to the tube.
Audiokarma