Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-30-2005, 11:44 PM
AK Member

Restored RCA 95T5

This was my first radio I've ever restored. RCA 95T5. It is a really nice set with a really nice tone. The seller who sold it to me plugged it in and heard buzzing. Of course the electrolytics were bad, and the paper caps also went, as well as a plate resistor that drifted. I also replaced all the wire which either was plastic and completely crumbling insulation or was cloth covered and the inner plastic insulation cracked while the cloth would frey at the crack. Only cloth wire left is the ones coming out of the power transformer, field coil, and audio transformer which was is good condition. I installed a fuse holder with a 1A fuse and a modernm, safer, power cord. This radio had 5 pretuned presets. I removed that assembly and haven't put it back yet. The yellow wires from the tuning condensor are connected to black wires and covered with black tape. This was where the assembly was connected, switching 5 pretuned LC tanks to the two black wires. The #44 type incandescent lamp for the dial lamp was replaced with a 6VAC white LED drop in replacement you can get from here. When I was completely done replacing everything bad and put it back together it worked the first time I tuned it on, not requireing an alignment of any kind. This was about 4 to 6 months ago and it still sounds great to this day. This whole post is to encourage people to save these beautiful old radios and TVs and have intense fun doing it. I never took a picture of the set before restoration, but I have three after restoration. Enjoy!

Top of restored RCA 95T5

Bottom of restored RCA 95T5, less the pretuned presets

Bottom of restored RCA 95T5, less the pretuned presets

Last edited by Jonathan; 10-30-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:54 AM
AK Member

Another One Saved

Great job !!!
Old 11-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

What does it look like in its case? I'm guessing its late '30s-early '40s set. Anyhow, nice job-& another old veteran saved from the trash !-Sandy G.