Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Banned

Zenith X960 Console vs. Zenith Y960 Console

Hello everyone, I am the proud owner of a Zenith Y960 Console Stereo from about 1967 and I was just curious as to what the difference was between the X960 and the Y960 because when I go to look up the X960 I see the Zenith Console that has the luvered doors over the speakers and that sits on removeable legs and appears to be a hybrid design whereas the Y960 (which is what I have) is completely solid state, and doesn't show up in google image searches anywhere. I was just curious as to what the differences were between the two and what all of you thought of this series of console stereos from Zenith.

By the way the pictures were not taken upside down, and they weren't upside down when I uploaded them, for some reason this website screwed up my pictures and flipped them upside down on me after I had finished uploading them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150320_154121.jpg (50.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20150320_154129.jpg (50.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20150320_154136.jpg (38.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20150320_154150.jpg (37.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Captainclock; 09-16-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

The letters in the model number are for the model year. Zenith retained tube tuners for a few years after the amps went solid state. Yours must have been made after the change over.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:24 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post

By the way the pictures were not taken upside down, and they weren't upside down when I uploaded them, for some reason this website screwed up my pictures and flipped them upside down on me after I had finished uploading them.
That's probably the website reading he EXIF data, and orienting the photos to the original. Sometimes a rename will do. Photobucket, Flikr, or other?

Cheers
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
The letters in the model number are for the model year. Zenith retained tube tuners for a few years after the amps went solid state. Yours must have been made after the change over.
Interesting, because I have seen the ones where it had the tube tuners and solid state amps and they had seperate tuners and amplifiers, whereas mine is just has the tuner and amplifier as one assembly that comes out in one piece, but it still has a pretty nice amplifier in it because it has a 4-way speaker system in it with a 1,000 cycle horn tweeter in it and 2 4" mid ranges and a 12" woofer per channel, and boy is this sucker loud it doesn't need to be turned up very loud before it can be heard across the house, and it has amazing bass for what it is.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
Interesting, because I have seen the ones where it had the tube tuners and solid state amps and they had seperate tuners and amplifiers, whereas mine is just has the tuner and amplifier as one assembly that comes out in one piece, but it still has a pretty nice amplifier in it because it has a 4-way speaker system in it with a 1,000 cycle horn tweeter, 2 4" mid ranges and a 12" woofer per channel, and boy is this sucker loud it doesn't need to be turned up very loud before it can be heard across the house, and it has amazing bass for what it is.
Audiokarma
Old 09-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Banned

Sorry for the double post it was completely unintended, the web browser goofed up on me when I was trying to edit my comment before posting and I guess when I did that it double posted.