Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Peanut Head

Any Shortwave lovers here?

I have a Hammarlund HQ-145 that I really love. Its sensitivity, selectivity and fidelity is great! Anyone else here enjoy DX-ing with their old Shortwaves?
Old 11-05-2002, 12:01 PM
AK Member

Hi Celt;

I've played some with shortwave at times during my life. I have a ham radio licence but have never been very active. In the past I have had a Hallicrafters S-120, Drake R-4A and presently only a Sony digital shortwave.

I did spend some months researching the famous Collins R-390 military HF receiver. Looking over the schematic and pictures I can see why it has such a great reputation. However it is somewhat pricey in restored condition, weighs a ton, takes up half a desk, etc.
Still it would be really cool to own the best shortwave reciever ever designed to CIA and mititary specifications.

Lefty

038° 00' 58.68" -122° 15' 39.54"
134.84 ft
Old 11-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Peanut Head

Hi Lefty! Yes, the Collins were very nice indeed! We used Collins equipment (transmitter and console) in our FM radio station back in the Seventies. Even though the station has been bought and moved, I think they are still using the same Transmitter! My two older brothers each owned a Hallicrafters SW Radio when I was growing up, both were nice units, but not of the quality of the Hammarlund. I also own a KLH Model 18 FM Stereo Tuner.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Man, I sure do miss my National NC-188
Old 11-05-2002, 02:15 PM
Admin

Kam

Dont ya still have that little national I sold ya ?
Audiokarma
Old 11-05-2002, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Sure, but I was in love with the NC188 for a long time.....
Old 11-05-2002, 05:13 PM
millerdog

I used to enjoy watching the sun go down and waiting for that 40m skip to come in. I started off with a Yaesu FT101 but upgraded to a Kenwood TS430.
I was always interested in Pirate Radio, but my location prevented that. Ah, the pre internet days.
md
Old 11-08-2002, 06:32 AM
FlaMike

short wave amp?

http://www.johnjeanantiqueradio.com/BA.htm
Old 11-15-2002, 06:29 PM
Peanut Head

Transmitter!
Old 05-31-2003, 04:56 PM
Marantz Remember

Once in awhile I fire up my National NC300, and get this, made on Oct 31st, 1955! a keeper for sure

My favorite is my Hallicrafters SX16 Super Skyrider communications receiver, circa 1937.
Thanks to the bay, my 12 year search for the matching R12 speaker came to an end a few years ago

They both work fine, but long overdue for re-capping. my luck will run out sooner or later so I think that will be one of my summer projects.
Audiokarma
Old 06-01-2003, 08:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marantz1300dc
Once in awhile I fire up my National NC300, and get this, made on Oct 31st, 1955! a keeper for sure

My favorite is my Hallicrafters SX16 Super Skyrider communications receiver, circa 1937.
Thanks to the bay, my 12 year search for the matching R12 speaker came to an end a few years ago

They both work fine, but long overdue for re-capping. my luck will run out sooner or later so I think that will be one of my summer projects.
if you think they work well now wait till you recap.
makes a big difference.like night and day on my hq180.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:49 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Gents- I have several old "boatanchors"- a Collins 51J3- otherwise known as R-388-, an R-389, 2 R-390s, 2 R-390As, an R-391, & 2 R-392s, the Jeep version of the R-390. Also have an excellent SP-600, but the one I like the best is "Der Weinerschnitzel", a Rohde & Schwarz EK-07. It dwarfs the 390s in size & weight, & somewhat in performance. I mostly do BCB DXing, & w/ my Kiwa loop, the EK can hear signals the 390s can barely pull out of the soup. Plus, it has that Germanic "Everything's running in oil" smooth as silk feel to it that sadly, 390s just don't have, & being German, its overbuilt by a factor of at least 10. There was an excellent article on these "Uber-radios" in the Jan 2000 issue of "Electric Radio" magazine. Osterman's book calls them the "R-390 of Germany", & that's a correct assessment.-Sandy G.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Rock-Ola

shortwave radios

I enjoy listening to ham and shortwave too. I have a nice Hallicrafters SX-43 with matching speaker. Also recently found a rough Hammarlund HQ-129-X which is not currently working and an E. H. Scott navy radio receiver model RCH. The Scott came in a metal box and is very heavy and isn't working. I can't find much info on the Scott. I have and Icom R-71a that works well in the more modern category.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:54 AM
<- My Yamaha Gear and Me

I've been a Ham about 13 years, but I guess that I started listening to SW radio in the early sixties...been interested in it a loooong time and have had all kinds of stuff filter thru the shack here, but my favorites are Collins rigs because even as old as they are now, they just keep on chuggin! That and the 1KHz dial resolution makes finding stations a lot easier than bandspread type rigs like my HQ-180A, SX-100, HRO-60, NC-183D, or SX-16. The Drakes aren't bad either and I just sold my SR-400A on ebay....

That being said, though, hooking the NC-183D up to a Klipsch Heresy speaker is a revelation! There's an old saying,"Find them with a Collins, listen to 'em with a National!"

Unfortunately, SW broadcasting just ain't what it used to be! At the height of the cold war there was all kinds of stuff to listen to and get a laugh out of, Radio Moscow, Radio Tirana Albania, etc., had such a twisted view on world affairs that it was a great education listening to the "enemy"! I'm also an insomniac and I used to fall asleep listening thru an earphone to the BBC on my Sony 2010 or SW-77 on the nightstand next to the bed....but the BBC has reduced or killed its transmissions to the Americas, so it's usually "Coast to Coast AM" from WOAI that I fall asleep to now.....

That's just some of the newer stuff, I just don't have a good pic of the 51S-1/51J-4/R-390/R-390A/SPC-10 rack or the BC-610-I in the closet!
Old 10-22-2003, 02:33 AM
<----Zenith C845

I've been in ham radio myself since 1972. My first rig was a Hallicrafters SX101A receiver and Heathkit DX40 AM/CW 60-watt transmitter, followed years later by a Henry Radio Tempo ONE SSB/CW rig, then a Kenwood TS530S, then by my present rig, an Icom IC725 which I won at a hamfest in 1991 (grand prize in a ticket drawing.) The radio is in my bedroom and my computer is in the front part of my apartment, but that's one huge drawback of living in a place as small as mine. Radio is in my blood, having been fooling around with it in one form or another since I was eight years old in 1964. I live in an apartment building where outside antennas aren't allowed, so I am running my IC725 into an indoor-mounted Barker and Williamson AP-10A--kinda' like a Texas Bugcatcher (the loading coil on my AP10A looks like the one on the Bugcatcher; I think that's where B&W may have gotten the idea).

I like the photos you guys are posting of all your old ham and SW gear. They don't make them like that anymore. These old rigs were built to last--boy, I'll say! The 6146 final tube in my Novice transmitter lasted 26 years before finally giving up--the day I was planning to reactivate my Novice station on 40 CW under new Technician-class rules in 1982. (I hold a General ticket today, thanks to W1AW's code practice; I listened and copied their transmissions every night for a month before going in for the test, and it paid off--I passed the exam with a 90-percent score.)

If any of you who are not presently licensed amateurs are interested in joining our ranks, you can contact the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), the national society of ham radio operators, based in Newington. Connecticut (Hartford area). Their website is www.arrl.org.

73 (best of regards) and good luck.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 10-22-2003 at 02:37 AM.
Audiokarma