Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Estate sale Pilot 3" set, what's it worth?

Yep, looky what's come up at an estate sale that opens Friday near me!

Haven't seen many of these for sale on eBay lately. What do you guys think is a fair price? I'm thinking about emailing the estate sale company (they're getting to know me as the TV guy), and making an offer, pre-sale.

I assume it's a complete unknown as far as the electronics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT_026.jpg (99.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 12-11-2013, 10:22 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I see that the grill bars are mostly busted out, which is a BIG value-killer on these sets. Also, there are many of those Pilots with green phosphor CRTs as replacements, and that's probably a total deal-breaker if it's also the case here. And lastly, that TV came with an optional carry case & rabbit ears, which are a big plus in the value. Long story short, I usually see these sell at SCARS or on eBay for $80 on the low end (damaged/missing parts) to $250-$350 (nice shape, original 3KP4 CRT, and carry case). Add $100 if recapped.

Charles
*"value" question answered only because it was asked by an admin.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Appreciate the insight. I had one with perfect grill bars and missing one knob about 15 years ago that I remember paying around $125 for, but the only one I've seen for sale on ebay lately is that one with no grill bars and red grill cloth applied, so I have no frame of reference as to the value of this particular set......
Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd add that if that 3KP4 IS good, it's worth as much as rest of this less-than-perfect set altogether. You could make them a reasonable (i.e., lowish) offer based on the missing grille bars and secretly roll the dice in hopes that it is a usable CRT. I don't know think a 3KP4 is test-able with anything other than a working TV-37. Are you buddies enough with these people to get in before the sale and test the CRT filament for continuity? Apart from the CRT issue, the electronics are simple and easy to restore, so unless someone seriously mistreated the innards, it shouldn't be much trouble to get it working.

The carry cases are much scarcer than the TVs (I have never seen one in the flesh), so it's not surprising to see a TV-37 without one. Although cool to have in theory, the case takes up more space than the TV and it's b-o-r-i-n-g to look at. If someone gave me one, I'd just resell it. You can use the lack of a case as another bargaining point, of course.

Phil Nelson
Old 12-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Eternal Member

In addition to a known good CRT being worth more than a set in that condition, I've seen an original set of the knobs (ship's Pilot wheel embossed) go for more than a set in that condition.

The picture is too small to tell for sure, but those knobs are definitely mismatched, and probably are not original.

Jas.
Audiokarma
Old 12-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Are you buddies enough with these people to get in before the sale and test the CRT filament for continuity?
Not yet, but if I haul home another couple consoles from their sales, that won't be far off I think......

I emailed them, but I honestly don't expect a response. I'll just hope it's there when I go, if not, there'll be others.....
Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

The ship-wheel knobs are being beautifully reproduced for $40 for the full set. It's all about the original CRT with these Pilot's. If it's a good one, the set will hold a good value despite it's cabinet condition. It's much, much easier to get another cabinet than another 3" CRT. Many collectors will accept a replacement green CRT, but it will lower the value. The cabinet on the set in question is strictly a parts set with it's broken grill bars. The carrying case was an option with these and not extremely desired. The bubble magnifier was an option too and can be worth nearly as much as the set itself, although IMPO it only clutters-up the front of the set. I had one once and it's a rather gawky add-on. I eventually just stored it away!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I paid $45 for mine last summer, cabinet in near-perfect condition.
all original knobs, unknown quality CRT which turned out excellent.
I spent quite a bit more than $45 on caps, especially the big fat
ceramic replacements for the HV caps. It needed a big pile of resistors
too and one 12A?7 dual triode, which I had.

Of course, the auction people thought it was a radio.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
I paid $45 for mine last summer, cabinet in near-perfect condition.
all original knobs, unknown quality CRT which turned out excellent.
I spent quite a bit more than $45 on caps, especially the big fat
ceramic replacements for the HV caps. It needed a big pile of resistors
too and one 12A?7 dual triode, which I had.

Of course, the auction people thought it was a radio.
You likely paid the lowest price ever for one of those. Being it had a nice case and CRT you basically got it for free. I paid $350 for my first one (nice condition and working) over 20 years ago!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was thinking that one sold at the Early TV Convention/Auction this year
for something like $300. Thats a collection of enthusists like us.

One sold at the Charlotte Convention a few years ago for two to three hundred dollars.

I was looking at one with a green CRT at the Charlotte Convention last year that sold for $150.

One on Ebay caught my eye a couple years ago that was only 15 miles away from me.
It had the case with it. I got outbid - sold for $550.

They are very desirable and very collectible. As you can tell, I'm on the hunt for one too:-)

Carl

Last edited by cwmoser; 12-13-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Well, it's snowing like hell today, which hopefully will keep the interested parties away till tomorrow, and I'll be there first thing in the AM to see if it's still there. Have to work today, otherwise I'd go.

Besides which, Fridays are full price, Saturdays are 50% off
Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

I got mine locally at the AARC swap meet about 2 years ago. Perfect cabinet, all knobs present, unknown condition 3KP4 tube, paid $40.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Well, it was gone. Wasn't meant to be I guess

I did score something else though, I'll update another thread with that one