Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Anyone heard of an "NRC" radio?

I found this solidly built battery-only portable radio recently. There are no ID labels on it. It appears post-war. It has an odd "Waltz" P-4 speaker in it. Between and above the control knobs reads "NRC" "Radio and Television". It's odd that at the top center it reads "RADIO PORTABL" - there was no room for one letter and the "E" was left out!
Any info on this set and manufacturer would be appreciated.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Awesome radio!!

Nothing at radiomuseum?

What's the tube line-up? 1-volters, or 3?

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 09-06-2015, 09:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Awesome radio!!

Nothing at radiomuseum?

What's the tube line-up? 1-volters, or 3?

Cheers,
Thanks Brian. I couldn't pass-up this little set at the local swap-meet.
I am going to check that site out soon, but I've found nothing in my books and on extensive Google searches. I find "National Company" ("NC") only. I will take a photo of the chassis soon and post it. I've seen a lot of these types of radios and never saw one so overly-built! It uses thick rounded wood panels, solid chrome pin-type latches and hinges for the front and back doors, and a complete chrome center panel including the handle. The light gray/green painted cabinet was a bit rough. I touched it up, but will probably repaint it one day.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:02 PM
M is for Memory

Some radios I have with definite makers marks other than NRC have chassis stickers that have NRC on them....I think those stickers said NRC was something like a national radio manufactures' committee, and not a maker.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-06-2015, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Any clues about the country of origin? Perhaps tube markings or brands of other components? I really suspect that the radio is not US built, and that "portabl" is not a mistake.

Jr
Audiokarma
Old 09-06-2015, 11:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I really suspect that the radio is not US built, and that "portabl" is not a mistake.
I would agree.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys. "NRC" is in a crest-shape on the front between the knobs with the words "Radio and Television", so I believe that is the manufacturer. I see no foreign markings on it. "NRC" is also written on the top of the cans.
Here is a pic of the rear with the back panel open:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-07-2015, 09:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

"The handle has a mark "Tokyo" with a dog's head in profile".

Yours is the exact same radio that was photographed on Worthpoint, with minor paint touchups done since the previous photos were taken.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...adio-533908188
Old 09-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Nippon Radio Corp? ........Now Japan Radio Corp? (Not to be confused with New Japan Radio Corp, maker of chips and stuff.)

Their 1930 history is interesting:

http://www.jrc.co.jp/eng/company/html/history.html

and in 1942, they changed the name to Japan Radio Corp, (Nippon Radio Corp)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nippon_(disambiguation)

...that's my guess.

This Japanese Ham/Homebrew extraordinaire is one place I'd start - he used to show up in some old Usenet electronics forums with help finding information of Japanese parts and radios:

http://www.intio.or.jp/jf10zl/

Cheers,

Old 09-07-2015, 09:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
"The handle has a mark "Tokyo" with a dog's head in profile".

Yours is the exact same radio that was photographed on Worthpoint, with minor paint touchups done since the previous photos were taken.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...adio-533908188
Haha! That IS my set! I got it from the well-known long-time collector Bruce of "Waves" radio/TV antiques shop in NYC. It somehow trickled into his hands and into mine! The description is exact and I did the paint touch-ups. I'm glad someone got the knob for it.
It's amazing with the Net how these mysteries can be solved!
Thanks so much for all that info. Brian! Yes, it is the Nippon Radio Corporation and the handle does say "Tokyo Patent" with the dogs head logo. It looks so American though! Who was buying a Japanese import radio in America at this time? and where? One thing I can say, it's beautifully made. That chrome handle is military tough!

Last edited by decojoe67; 09-07-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-17-2015, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Could have been bought by a serviceman, etc., "over there," and brought back to the States?

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Could have been bought by a serviceman, etc., "over there," and brought back to the States?
That's an interesting thought and a possibility. It's strange that, on the Net, there is little to no information about the company's products. Why would everything be written on the set in English if it wasn't intended to be exported?
Old 09-18-2015, 06:08 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
That's an interesting thought and a possibility. It's strange that, on the Net, there is little to no information about the company's products. Why would everything be written on the set in English if it wasn't intended to be exported?
We (the US) were "occupation forces" from 1945 until 1952 - it could have been produced for in-country use by our occupiers - a substantial number of soldiers and civilians. Antiques Roadshow often features occupation-period stuff that was made and marketed to the US - kimonos, swords, and the like.

It's not hard to see the need - Japan needed industry to employ folks, and we needed products, as everything had to come across the Pacific. So, the Japanese capitalized on our need, and produced products.

Back in 1993, I got schooled on W. Edwards Deming and his impact on Japanese industry - anybody familiar with TQM and continuous quality improvement will recognize the name. I read several biographies on Deming, and learned a bit about the Japanese culture and how it was perfect for implementing Deming's ways. We saw Japanese products as cheap and flimsy, and in a lot of ways they were, compared to our durable goods. But in automaking, electronics, and industry, Japan left us in the dust with their quality-improvement methods, so much so, that Ford and Chrysler adopted their ways - Toyota was beating the crap out of them in initial quality.

Just my 2c.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
We (the US) were "occupation forces" from 1945 until 1952 - it could have been produced for in-country use by our occupiers - a substantial number of soldiers and civilians. Antiques Roadshow often features occupation-period stuff that was made and marketed to the US - kimonos, swords, and the like.

It's not hard to see the need - Japan needed industry to employ folks, and we needed products, as everything had to come across the Pacific. So, the Japanese capitalized on our need, and produced products.

Back in 1993, I got schooled on W. Edwards Deming and his impact on Japanese industry - anybody familiar with TQM and continuous quality improvement will recognize the name. I read several biographies on Deming, and learned a bit about the Japanese culture and how it was perfect for implementing Deming's ways. We saw Japanese products as cheap and flimsy, and in a lot of ways they were, compared to our durable goods. But in automaking, electronics, and industry, Japan left us in the dust with their quality-improvement methods, so much so, that Ford and Chrysler adopted their ways - Toyota was beating the crap out of them in initial quality.

Just my 2c.
Very interesting Brian. I never knew most of that info. So, in your opinion, was this set was likely sold in the US?

Last edited by decojoe67; 09-19-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like it's been put on ebay now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301765554473

Audiokarma