Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:16 PM
For the Love of the Music

Talking GE Super Radio

Have not tested the Tivoli. I like the Super Radio III. Don't where its made much. Gave two away this year to friends. Got AM and FM sections. I have beem Listening to AM 740 CWHO out of Toronto. I live here in Southeast NY and the GE pulls it nice.

Started collecting old portable multi-band radios. My big surprise is my Montgomery Ward radio. OK FM but super AM!! My Zenith Inneroceanic is good on both AM and FM. You might try one of these. Plenty on Ebay. Listening to AM 740 tonight along with WKRW ?? in Buffalo NY at 1520 My friends are happy with the GE's. For $60 its a deal!

Eric
Old 11-21-2004, 05:50 AM
AK Member

IMHO, I think grandma might be very happy with the Superradio. Excellent sound, analog tuning (I hate digital tuning), very good selectivity. The weak point is the on-off switch, it's kinda fragile, but if you take it easy it's fine.

I posted a comment a while back about an Emerson label retro style two piece radio that is similar to the Tivoli's. Nice big vernier tuning dial and excellent bass. It has been my main listening radio since I got it and it's a bargain. I bought an extra one since Target was closing them out. Even has an auxiliary input.

Lots of good vintage SS radios out there, Zeniths and GE's are my faves.

Cheers!
Lee
Old 11-22-2004, 07:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

I enjoy old radios very much but have found the best receiver for rejecting adjacent channel interference on FM is a Sony Digital Tuning mini-stereo system. There is a 10-watt public radio translator on 99.5 that I like to listen to. It is about 30 miles away, and there are 100,000 watt stations on 99.1 and 99.9. The Sony digital tuning can pull in the 10 watt station almost noise free, using a dipole antenna outside the window, when other radios get swamped by the 100 kw stations. It has been my experience that digital tuners seem to have the best FM selectivity.
Also a Panasonic digital tuner boom-box can get the 10 watt station much better than the analog tuner sets I have tried.

The absolute BEST for AM I have seen is the Philco AM-FM 8-track unit in my 1978 Grand Marquis. It can pull in a station on 580 khz from 150 miles away during the day where other radios struggle with noise on it. You can rig up an old car radio with a 12-v supply for super quality AM reception.

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 11-22-2004 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 AM
AK Member

Does that Tivoli have an alarm?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Admin

Yep its called the model 3
Audiokarma
Old 11-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Admin

You can see all the different models here http://www.audionut.com/pk4/store.pl?section=16
Old 11-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Peanut Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk
Does that Tivoli have an alarm?
They offer a analog clock-radio (Model 3). Note that the Tivoli does not use a ferrite bar AM antenna, but rather an internal wire antenna wrapped around the four posts, next to one side of the FM antenna. There is a switchable external antenna connection made thru a F jack. Thru induction, the AM (and FM performance) can be vastly increased by using a longwire of at least 40'. I regularly listen to stations over 300 miles away with this arrangement.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.