Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Col-R-Tel help

Fired up the Col-R-Tel with Darryl's adaptor using analog in and proper connections for it...using only the V pulse connection and the adaptor RF signal. All others lifted. My wheel has bad commutator springs so this is the best direction. And it has been idle for a few years but for a change of a new belt.

Connected to a restored Philco 50-T1402.

The problem seems to be motor speed. The adaptor tries to make color but the speed is below normal. Using the pushbutton jumpstart I can get it to near normal speed but then it drops to near 1/3 of normal speed and stays there. I ran it for hours and it did the same every time. The motor is its usual very hot condition but not excessive.

It did work in the past in its factory connection condition but the bad commutators sent me to the Darryl converter version. This is just the early version. More testing of tubes and connections to follow along with your guesses.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:54 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Here's my probably useless comment, FWIW:
Hopefully Cliff will chime in, but this sounds like the speed control has gone completely to the low end. What happens if you pull V6 6BL7 or V5 (b) 12BH7?
Old 11-26-2017, 06:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Chassis is all recapped years ago and looked at by Dave Johnson who anointed it in its original operation. Now to today.

I did the tube pulls and no appreciable change. Same startup and then falls back. Tubes check and all is well. A look inside shows no anomalies.

I ran it with the Aurora adaptor startup signal minus the wheel and the pic seems to be doing what it is supposed to do with a massive RGB flicker at the proper rate.

The Philco does seem to have a problem. Any adjustment of the vertical only seems to send the roll downward. It reaches a sweet spot and then goes down again. No upward roll. Not sure what this is and if it is related to the V pulse signal. A Sunday night test only. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Dave A; 11-26-2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: text
Old 11-26-2017, 06:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
Chassis is all recapped years ago and looked at by Dave Johnson who anointed it in its original operation. Now to today.

I did the tube pulls and no appreciable change. Same startup and then falls back. Tubes check and all is well. A look inside shows no anomalies.

I ran it with the Aurora adaptor startup signal minus the wheel and the pic seems to be doing what it is supposed to do with a massive RGB flicker at the proper rate.

The Philco does seem to have a problem. Any adjustment of the vertical only seems to send the roll downward. It reaches a sweet spot and then goes down again. No upward roll. Not sure what this is and if it is related to the V pulse signal. A Sunday night test only. Stay tuned.
is the motor completely free, a spec of wD40 at the front and rear of the motor where the bushings are. Just a thought.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Out of curiosity, What is the voltage on the motor when it is running almost the right speed, in startup mode and when it is runnin about 1/3 speed?

What sort of signal does the 6BL7 apply to the transformer...DC to perhaps saturate the core or an AC signal?

jr
Audiokarma
Old 11-26-2017, 07:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Timmy...this motor is sealed and is not made for a few drops. It has to be surgically opened to lube per Clif Benham with some soaking in turbine oil... which I have if needed.

jr...voltages go be determined. My schematic is missing at the moment. Damn cats

Last edited by Dave A; 11-26-2017 at 07:24 PM. Reason: text