Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Recaping a 1937 Zenith 6S299

Last month I got an old Zenith Black Dial Radio (Model 6S299) from 1937. I had to rebuild a new cabinet for it because the old one was beyond repair. I had been looking at pictures of the old Westinghouse Columnaires and thought they were graceful looking and well designed. Zenith made consoles but nothing like the Columnaire so I decided to make one and I am attaching a picture of how the cabinet turned out. Over the last week I have been cleaning up the chassis and replacing all the capacitors and resistors. With each new one added, the sound returned and became stronger as I went along - until I came to the last item. I don't know what this is - it has the color bars of Red, Orange and Silver - only the 3 bars. the body is brown like a plastic or baklite. At first I thought it was an old molded capacitor of .023 ohms but when I replaced it with an orange drop the radio stopped working. Can anyone identify this thing and tell me what I can replace it with?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZENITH COLUMNAIRE 061.jpg (67.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg ZENITH COLUMNAIRE 081.jpg (84.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Zenith7G605.jpg (39.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-09-2012, 11:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

sent the wrong picture

ops - I sent a picture of another radio's dial, here is the correct picture of the part in question
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG5474.jpg (25.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Wow!

That cabinet looks oustanding!!! Excellent wood working skills!-Ray>
Old 12-10-2012, 12:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Resistor :

1(brown), 2(red), 3 zeros (orange), 10% (silver) : 12,000 ohms 10% perhaps 5 watt (judging from the size). Beautiful cabinet work!
jr
Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Another Zenith will return to glory

Thanks guys for the comments on the wood. I am happy with the way it turned out too. I used Birch and some white Maple for the stripes. I'm going to give this to one of my boys for Christmas - he likes tube stuff. And thanks Jr-tech for your answer, I had a suspicion that the first band may have included the case color and now you have put me on the right course. 5 watts sounds about right, this thing is about 2 inches long.
Audiokarma
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

That cabinet is in the flavor of ultra-moderne which was going on in the thirties, turned out very nice. Does that have a top-firing speaker, with a hinged lid?

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 AM
a- v- karma member

Did you measure that resistor? I would not be too surprised if it were within spec.
Nothing wrong with keeping an original part like this if it's good. Good luck with the
project!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith 6s299

Hey Guys,

In answer to the last couple of posts, I mounted the speaker to one side of the cabinet as I wanted a hinged top for a small storage compartment. In one of my pics you can see the multicolored laminated bottom of that compartment. Since I was giving this to my son, I knew he had to have a place for an ipod. To allow charging, I have a surge protector inside the cabinet and that also has 2 USB jacks on it to charge an ipod and whatnot. Back to the speaker, I wanted the new grill cloth to mount flush with the outside so I cut a 1" wide ring from a large diameter pvc pipe and placed a piece of double stick tape around the outside diameter of that. Next, I took my new grill cloth and stretched it over the ring and then put that into the large circle hole that I made in the side of the cabinet. It was a snug fit held in place with some screws on the inside of the ring.

About that resistor, it was a little out of spec but I had to replace it because one of the leads broke off when I moved it out of the way to replace a cap. I soldered a new piece of wire to it but it will not hold. Funny thing, I dont see the value of this resistor listed on the Rider Schematic but I'm still new at this. I will keep trying.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 PM
radiodayz

Beautiful work, Gino! I'd love to see/hear it playing. Any way you could make a short YouTube vid?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith 6s299

I can post a few more pics but the vid has to wait until I get some storm problems out of the way - no time for this project right now but I will make one as soon as I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zenith 3.jpg (90.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg zenith 4.jpg (62.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg zenith 5.jpg (76.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg zenith 6.jpg (104.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg zenith 7.jpg (94.6 KB, 26 views)
Audiokarma