Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-05-2021, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

And here it is, 12 days later and there is still no sign of the transformer that was ordered, it's kind of stuck in limbo... USPS says the label was created but they never got the package, but the seller says that it WAS given to them on the day in mention, Rod Serling must be the Postmaster at the depot he tried to send it from, for there must no doubt be wormholes or dimensional rifts at that post office, and there is now a vertical oscillator blocking transformer floating out there in 10th dimension with Amelia Earhart and D. B. Cooper.
And so now that it seems that I can get video through the thing all the way to the last stage, ( crt cathode ), the hunt for a new replacement transfomer goes on. :O
Old 04-06-2021, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

As I suspected, 80% of the resistors in the thing are VERY out of tol, and are needing to be replaced, looking forward to what kind of pic I can see once I get vert working.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

While I'm waiting for the vert Osc x-former from ETF, I have noticed that some of the power resistors are running a bit warm, they are not smoking or anything, so I guess its OK.

https://i.imgur.com/p8TwMpx.jpg

R122, which was the candohm resistor, rated at 20w, now a 25w, still very hot, and R123, was a 5w sand resistor, was getting very hot, disintegrating, green leads, new ohmite 5w in there, still getting very hot. Gonna put in a 10w

electrolytic capacitors are new.
The 145v goes mainly to the video IF , no shorts found, and when I pull the IF tubes, the heating stops, so I guess this is normal...
Old 04-15-2021, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Modern "leaded" resistors of all wattages seem to be designed to get extremely hot
at rated power. I've taken to using resistors the same physical size as the
old ones, unless they are running 1/8 watt or less. This usually means twice the wattage
or even more.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:44 PM
RCA 741PCS

Measure the voltage across the resistor. Wattage = (V*V) / R Use a resistor rated for at least twice that.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK....
found out a few things...
the 8yp4 does NOT work with thing
I had to go grab the 21aup4a from the Stromberg.

using a signal generator, I was SORT of able to recreate Vert osc, but It is not perfect.
https://i.imgur.com/Fqk4hXC.jpg

It will have to do till I get the transformer from ETF.
HORZ looks fine, IF is obviously messed up, but working mostly.
and it DOES look like this thing will work!
Old 04-16-2021, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

This IS getting rather interesting, since the 8YP4 would not work for some reason, checked 2 times, it was hooked up right, and still waiting for the 21FP4 from dieseljeep to be shipped, which I hope to be the final CRT for the completed project.

But as mentioned, since the 8YP4 was not compatible, I'm using my 21AUP4A/B for now, but the method I used last night of laying it down on foam pads and cardboard boxes is NOT the safest way to do this, not to mention, I really need to extend the CRT and yoke wires a bit to give more room to place things safely.

After thinking for a bit about how to do this, with a bit of searching I found a giant hose clamp. :O
Big enough to fit around the screen, so when I get it, I will attempt to build a base to strap it safely down to for testing, it will look very strange when done I think!
Old 04-16-2021, 10:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
This IS getting rather interesting, since the 8YP4 would not work for some reason, checked 2 times, it was hooked up right, and still waiting for the 21FP4 from dieseljeep to be shipped, which I hope to be the final CRT for the completed project.

But as mentioned, since the 8YP4 was not compatible, I'm using my 21AUP4A/B for now, but the method I used last night of laying it down on foam pads and cardboard boxes is NOT the safest way to do this, not to mention, I really need to extend the CRT and yoke wires a bit to give more room to place things safely.

After thinking for a bit about how to do this, with a bit of searching I found a giant hose clamp. :O
Big enough to fit around the screen, so when I get it, I will attempt to build a base to strap it safely down to for testing, it will look very strange when done I think!
I'm still working on a quote for shipping. Then I'll PM you.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:06 PM
RCA 741PCS

Is there a focus coil or magnet around the neck of the 8YP4 ? If so, you need to remove it. The 8YP4 is self focusing and an external magnetic field is not needed. Also no ion trap magnet.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Is there a focus coil or magnet around the neck of the 8YP4 ? If so, you need to remove it. The 8YP4 is self focusing and an external magnetic field is not needed. Also no ion trap magnet.

I have used this 8yp4 before, when I brought up my FADA 895, so it was hooked up as you say.
One of which can be seen here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id3OWPlHtVo
But I have no clue as to why it did not work this time, it just gave a blank raster, brightness cont had no effect, SOMETIMES there was a dim negative image, but it just did not like it.

But hooked up the other tube, BAM! Image. so who knows
Audiokarma
Old 04-16-2021, 01:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm gonna try something I did not think of last night...
With the FADA 895 & the 8YP4, video was being fed in on G1 with the cathode @ 0v, and adjusted G1 bias to set brightness, the Arvin has video going in on the cathode and adjusts IT'S bias to set brightness, and has G1 @ 0v... and the 8YP4 seems to hate it, what if I were to switch them?
Feed in the video in G1 like it was when it worked on the fada and hooked the cathode line up to where the 0V G1 was? :O

EDIT---

No, that won't work, cause even if it fixes the problem, it will cause a negative image... RATS...

Last edited by Yamamaya42; 04-16-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:15 PM
RCA 741PCS

21AUP4 and 8YP4 have different # of pins so I assume you are using an adapter ? Could be that G1, G2 and K are not going to the correct pins.

Do you have an 8XP4 ? That would be directly compatible.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
21AUP4 and 8YP4 have different # of pins so I assume you are using an adapter ? Could be that G1, G2 and K are not going to the correct pins.

Do you have an 8XP4 ? That would be directly compatible.
I checked them 2 times
not sure why they why it does not wanna work
https://i.imgur.com/lsyrjzp.jpg you can see the adapter here, Got it from EM last year.
all the pins DO go the right place. it just does not like it
and Sadly I only have the one test tube.
but I have thought of an unusual way of mounting the 21aup4a for testing, which I will try tonight, which i am PRETTY sure has never been done before!
Old 04-17-2021, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

I DID say that my idea was unusual, and most likely never been done before!

https://i.imgur.com/UvGcHkg.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Yu7bCLu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9ZKXqly.jpg

Took the chassis from the stromberg carlson x-21, and mounted the 21AUP4A in it backwards to be used by the Arvin chassis.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I managed to beat it into submission, a little bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XjsK3P1DvU
Audiokarma