Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Any unusual problems that I should watch out for?

jr
Horizontal non-linearity was a chronic problem on some, but not all of this RCA series.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I have one, too a 12" Admiral from 1950, I believe. Cyoot widdle bugger, has a good pic, & is a floor standing mini console configuration. Guess we could call 'em "Double Ds", but that really wouldn't fit my little guy, & I'm not really all that hepped over the Double D moniker...
Yes, the Admiral has a different shape, a slightly stretched double D :

I don’t have a nickname for that shape, and usually just mention that various manufacturers used different mask shapes for round tubes, from completely round to a fairly strict 3 x 4 to best satisfy their customer base, as they perceived it.

Double D vs 3 x 4 mask on 10 inch round CRTs below:

In my tv room, I have samples of round and rectangular magnetic deflection crts as well as electrostatic and flat “watchman” crts to pass around and discuss, if desired.

jr
Old 01-30-2019, 12:19 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

We lost something, I think, when the "Look" of what a TV was "Supposed" to be was kinda standardized around 1955 or so & all the funky CRT & Bezel shapes faded away. A lot of the charm of veteran TVs is the fact that they DO have oddly shaped CRTs/bezels-At least they're not just an ugly grey plastic box, or an equally fugly 60 X35" flat panel...Back in the late '40s, up til the mid '50s, having a TeeVee was a big deal, a new expensive toy that you likely invited the whole neighborhood over to see & check out. Like my 1949-50 Zenith porthole, the TV in itself was kinda inpressive looking, something to be proud of &"Show off", akin to getting the widest whitewalls for yr '53 Olds or Buick...The Fifties were all about flash & show-We'd come off 15 years of depression & war, people had scrimped, saved, done with out, a lot of people had done well from hefty war production paychecks, & they were ready to "Strut their stuff" a little bit. As I read in a book on the car industry, in 1955, Detroit launched into a 15G dive into hedonism... But who could blame them...
Old 01-31-2019, 11:19 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

I just refer to these sets as black and white roundies. I wish the roundie shape had hung on for a lot longer or at least been an available option well after rectangular became the norm.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:29 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
I just refer to these sets as black and white roundies. I wish the roundie shape had hung on for a lot longer or at least been an available option well after rectangular became the norm.
I try to only use roundy for color sets and double d for monochrome....A number of color only collectors will use roundy only to refer to color sets and won't sepcify color or monochrome... In conversation with someone who uses roundy to refer to both color and monochrome but never specifies which things can get confusing.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Motorola Minion

The varieties of screen shapes is a very good point. My favorite was the radiused-corner rectangular of the 17TP4 in a Motorola

From one extreme to another, portholes to rectangulars, some of the picture is always missing unless you reduce the sweep so much a border is visible.

Today we have "screen bugs" that never go away and wide, theatre and other distorted stuff. I liked it better when good and consistent linearity was the rule.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:41 PM
I love old stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
Yes, I like that moment too

P.P.S. Forgot to mention that the television has an onboard FM radio, imagine how valuable it was for me then!
That tv set looks like the "Rubin" 102: http://rw6ase.narod.ru/00/twcb_/rubin102.html
I wanted to save an 102 but I couldn't

There where a few Soviet tube sets that had F.M. Radio. "Rekord" (1956? model), "Temp" 2 and 3...
Old 02-02-2019, 08:43 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Here in Murrica, you gotta watch buying a Yooropean FM set, some of the early ones only went up to 100 or 102 MC or MHz, if you so desire..But most of those must have been foreign nationals moving over here, the "Factory imported" sets in my experience all go up to 108.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:49 PM
I love old stuff

You know very well SandyG. In fact it was F.M. 88-100 M.Hz., an then up to 104 and some to 105. So finding an F.M. 88-108 M.Hz. tube radio in Europe is harder then finding the needle in a haystack. I once owned such radio, but I gave it away, in stad of gettin it fixed. No finding such radio at let's say 50 bucks is the 2nd task... And it was stereo... (o.k., for getting true stereo you needed an extrenal speaker, but it could be done; I could work stereo on F.M. with a decoder; dumb me ).
I can't understeand why they couldn't put from the first stance F.M. 88-108...
Old 02-03-2019, 03:18 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Here in Murrica, you gotta watch buying a Yooropean FM set, some of the early ones only went up to 100 or 102 MC or MHz, if you so desire..But most of those must have been foreign nationals moving over here, the "Factory imported" sets in my experience all go up to 108.
I'm beginning to think some makers obliviously sent truncated european FM band sets to the states as imports...For over a decade now I've had a Blauplunkt (must be some Joyman onomatopoeia) HiFi/Bar console rotting away in various storages...That set has a 100Mhz FM tuner*. About a month ago at a swap meet someone asked me for advice on a Blauplunkt and it was (aside from finish color and metal speaker grill overlay delete) the same EXACT console...

I've only seen 2 of the same chassis Yoorupean sets maybe 2-3 times and most were 108FM US market sets...So I wonder if old Blau sent obliviously sent the US market some half off FM band sets.

*It used to drive me nutz cause AM was dead on that set and last time I had it in the house/powered, I lived in a place where the only FM station that played ANYTHING worth listening to was at 101.5 FM.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

See, this is what you get when you waste half yr life tripping over European tabletop wooden sets in Aunty-Que shops. I have Blaupunkts, Telefunkens, SABAS, a Nordemende, & a Polish Diora. It is the exception to the rule-Of the German sets, they ALL had that "Mile-deep" high glass like sheen finish to themselves, & quite a few had very complicated pushbutton power on/off switching schemes. But leave it to Der Krauts to needlessly overcomplicate something, right ?!?I'm thinking quite a few were brought home by otherwise clueless GIs who didn't know-or remember OUR FM band went to 108. But, these sets ARE right pretty, they DO play quite well-often w/far fewer Tooobs that our homegrown AM/FM sets do. The Germans apparently were partial to big, honking radios-Well, THAT seemed to be an affliction all over Yoorup- They were big & impressive looking, but you looked 'round back, up its dress-and you'd find a dinky little chassis w/just 4,5, or maybe 6 tooobs... But from the front the set looked like something King Kong might have tried to climb..
Old 02-17-2019, 05:15 PM
I love old stuff

Well, I do like the style of old German radios.
I wish me agian an 88-108 MegaHertz one.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I love old teles

I love this hobby of old TVs I was born in 72 my parents had a magnavox total automatic color set when the TV repair man would show up my day was made 😀 loved the orange glow of the tubes but I also lived in an era 1980s people would throw reciving tube TVs away left and right and all the TV repair shops around plus my grand father God rest his soul played a big part he did tube type electronic repair also I look at it this way if people love collecting old cars exotic pets well why not TVs they were a big part of American history
Old 03-06-2019, 03:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Luv old tvs

Love collecting old TVs all my life for me it's a passion I look at it this way people like vintage cars exotic pets etc well why not TVs there a great part of American history😃