Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2017, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
The procedure I have always used is to set brightness to a mid level with the magnet in approximately the correct position (over the split/gap in the gun) and rotate for max brightness. Then move slightly back and forth again for max brightness
That works properly only if the magnet keeps its initial power. Howewer, Al-Ni-Co magnets are often degaussed from aging. A degaussed magnet seems to behave properly while aligning, i.e. it still provides some "max brightness" position, but this does not mean that the whole electron beam reaches the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
You're not going to cause ion burn by a misaligned trap but you can damage the gun elements with the electron beam
I have at least one reverse example with a bent-gun picture tube, but it could happen from a degaussed magnet as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
I've had issues with Russian tubes, and they have a very low reputation among most audiophiles and antique radio restorers
They just have to be well-chosen. There are some top-grade ones (Svetlana, MELZ - just look at the pictures I attached to the previous post), some normal "workhorses", and, as always, some crappy crap hurting the whole reputation. I'm guessing that I should write some sort of choose guide here.

Last edited by Gleb; 04-13-2017 at 12:57 PM.