Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:28 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
As an appliance fan, I picture a Westinghouse or Philco large 70s wall oven on its back facing up, on a stand with an insulated extension out the back to accommodate the neck. This would allow the tube to face up, its safety glass accessible just under the door. Maintaining evenness of heat and baking a CRT to 300 then cooling again is a scary thought.

I was looking at two of my rectangular Zenith's with 2" of yellow fringing, wondering if its worth the trouble. If you want a uniformly good picture free of external tint, its your call.
The yellow green cataracts Zeniths get can b dealt with without any heat. Go to your local music store and buy no18 or thicker steel guitar string (get 2-5 incase you snap one), affix a wood handle securely to each end of the string, with the CRT sitting face up in a garbage can or 5gal bucket and the tape around the safety glass perimeter removed hold the string taught and use it to saw through the rubbery gummy glue...once you get to the clear part of the glue you'll probably need to pull on one handle at a time with both hands.
Once that's done the safety glass will be off and you can peel the glue off where it will cooperate...where it won't razorblades, fingernails and a paint remover called Good Off will take care of the rest. Once all the glue is gone make sure everything is spotless and reattach the safety glass with foam double stick spacers and silicone caulk (my preferred method) or tape.

I've done around a dozen Zenith cataract removals with this method and have a 100% success rate with it.
Post separation glue clean up can be a bit tedious (especially on the last couple years of bonded glass CRTs Zenith made), but the lense separation process is quick and safe and thus in my mind makes up for it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-18-2020, 04:52 PM
Motorola Minion

I like anything NOT involving heat but still nervous about handling a few really good Zenith jugs. The last three cataract removals were on RCA and GE replacement CRT's. I broke the safety glass on the FJ as it was 70% intact and there was no steady sun for weeks, so I used a heat gun. bad idea.

I just have to make it a point of getting some No 18 string and from what I understand, passing some low-voltage thru it for heating is unnecessary.

The silicone caulk I used to seal the edge of a 21FJ was white and I should have used clear as one little bit of caulk was visible after putting it back in the set. Clear tape that I used around the edge was similar to original.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:09 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I like anything NOT involving heat but still nervous about handling a few really good Zenith jugs. The last three cataract removals were on RCA and GE replacement CRT's. I broke the safety glass on the FJ as it was 70% intact and there was no steady sun for weeks, so I used a heat gun. bad idea.

I just have to make it a point of getting some No 18 string and from what I understand, passing some low-voltage thru it for heating is unnecessary.

The silicone caulk I used to seal the edge of a 21FJ was white and I should have used clear as one little bit of caulk was visible after putting it back in the set. Clear tape that I used around the edge was similar to original.
Yup.
On RCA jugs I crack 90% of safety glass using heat and pry methods.

On Zenith CRTs I've never cracked a safety glass using the wire. The wire doesn't need to be warm...heck the tube doesn't have to be warm. I've done a successful Zenith removal in a dim garage on a 45 degree fall night.
It's the safest cataract removal process I know.

Clear silicone is better. I prefer the small hand squeeze tubes over the gun type tubes as I feel it gives me more control to make a small bead. You only need 1/8" contact inward of the edge to seal and provide cushion IMO.

Old 11-24-2020, 11:22 AM
RCA 741PCS

Finished up the cabinet except for repairing two legs. Top was grain filled and spray with some walnut toner lacquer followed by semi-glosss clear coat.

Howard's walnut "restore-a-finish" and "feed-n-wax" on the rest.

Old 11-25-2020, 09:51 PM
M is for Memory

Looks good!

Audiokarma
Old 12-16-2020, 01:40 PM
RCA 741PCS

Just started poking around inside. I must say I'm not very impressed at the build quality.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, the cabinet sure looks good though.