Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm Calibrated Now

I had my color and tint controls calibrated do my PlayStation 2. I chose this because I watch movies through it the most. I use my Roku, but it's not my primary source.

I think my colors are fairly good here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/IMG_0702.jpg

And through filters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/IMG_0703.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/IMG_0705.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...s/IMG_0704.jpg
Old 06-17-2012, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just for grins, I took a shot of a similar pattern on my 32" Sony HDTV (attached). The blue appears to be *way* different... Is the CRT TV more correct?
Note: The "barrel" distortion is from the camera wide angle lens... the actual display is quite rectangular.

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 05-06-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Just for grins, I took a shot of a similar pattern on my 32" Sony HDTV (attached). The blue appears to be *way* different... Is the CRT TV more correct?
Note: The "barrel" distortion is from the camera wide angle lens... the actual display is quite rectangular.

jr
This is a comparison that should not be attempted. The NTSC set will never be exactly correct on the filter test with color bars.

The NTSC set will have excess R-Y drive compared to B-Y and G-Y in order to get the correct hue spread along the red-yellow-green axis. Different manufacturers fiddled with this to different degrees. The picture through the red filter shows the excess R-Y gian, but how much you can't tell exactly because the cyan bar is driven below cutoff. The pictures through the green and blue filters also show that the G-Y and B-Y drives are a bit low. Inx64 might increase the color level a bit, if he can stand the brightness of reds as a result. (The magenta bar is not completely cut off in the green filter pic and the blue bar is not as bright as the white bar in the blue filter pic.)

Regarding the HD set, how it should look for analog input or even SD DVD is up for grabs, since there was no iron-clad color standard for NTSC or SD digital, which may have originated as NTSC colorimetry.
The HD should look essentially perfect in all three filters if fed with a rec 709 HD color bar signal.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't know if I want more reds, it's already popping quite a bit. Perhaps I'll push the color a little more, but then it looks a little "fake".
Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
I don't know if I want more reds, it's already popping quite a bit. Perhaps I'll push the color a little more, but then it looks a little "fake".
Yes , it's a compromise that has to have the final touch by eye and preference.
Audiokarma
Old 06-18-2012, 01:53 PM
<----Zenith C845

Brandon, isn't that Mitsubishi TV you're working on the one you gave your sister a few weeks back? Did she change her mind and get a flat screen? You said she had originally wanted the latter, but then changed her mind and said she wanted the Mitsu. The other thing I thought of was that you had found another Mitsubishi 13" TV recently, and that is the one you're delving into at the moment. Just curious.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-18-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

No I'm working on the Samsung now. She still has the hitachi I gave her.