Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:13 AM
AK Member

Zenith Y832 needs some help

I have two pages, the schematics and alignment page, but no parts list.

I need the parts list. I am going to re-cap it and the voltage is on the parts list. Also the writing on the schematic is poor and hard to read values.

Any one have parts list for the Y832? How about info on G730?

Does any one have any suggestions on which caps to replace.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd start with the paper & wax caps and the electrolytics. Their values can be easily read off of the original cap.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:46 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
I'd start with the paper & wax caps and the electrolytics. Their values can be easily read off of the original cap.
Thanks. I have read some of them, but a few are buried. I'd like to order them and replace them one at a time. I am going to have to cut three of them out to read them. The schematics are a help but the parts list would be nice to read the value and voltage rating as a confirmation. The parts list are usually a good back up since you can read them easier.

I am looking at other Zenith radios of the same vintage that do have parts list and kind of verifying the voltage that way. I am sure folks that know this stuff can just look and order the right caps. I am trying to be careful.

The electrolytic-caps are 4 in 1 "Can" I am going to have to do surgery on that. I can see the values on the "Can" and schematics.

One of the wax caps has no markings. It must of got hot or something? I am pretty sure from the schematics I have the value for that one.

I am just a little paranoid about making sure I have the right values. I think if I stick with 500-600 volt caps I'll be good. The electrolytics are only 150 V and one is 25 V. Since I have to STUFF THE CAN I can't over kill there, because 4 have to fit in the can.

THANK YOU! Great advice.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Audiophool

Sams 325-17 covers this - it'll have a parts list. Not in my files though....
Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 PM
AK Member

Dumb question what is Sams 325-17? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bavis View Post
Sams 325-17 covers this - it'll have a parts list. Not in my files though....
Excuse my ignorance but what is Sams 325-17? Thanks
Audiokarma
Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sams Photofact = detailed schematic with parts list. They're very handy - check this site: http://www.olditemsale.com/zenith/zenith.htm
Old 07-30-2009, 01:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some further info - it's recommended to replace the selenium rectifier on these Zenith's with a diode.

The Y832 was Zenith's top of the line tabletop and the first radio to use their new electrostatic tweeters (2). The 8 inch main speaker was the largest to be used in a radio this size, according to Zenith.

The official name of the Y832 was the 'Super-Symphonaire'

When these are serviced, they sound fantastic !
Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 AM
AK Member

Smile Great TRIVIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by anden View Post
Some further info - it's recommended to replace the selenium rectifier on these Zenith's with a diode.

The Y832 was Zenith's top of the line tabletop and the first radio to use their new electrostatic tweeters (2). The 8 inch main speaker was the largest to be used in a radio this size, according to Zenith.

The official name of the Y832 was the 'Super-Symphonaire'

When these are serviced, they sound fantastic !
GREAT TRIVIA. I HAVE TWO! The first one I bought sounded OK but the tuning-dial and tuning-cap CORD was shot. It was clean and a little disappointed in the sensitivity (reception) and some static across all bands (all old caps). It is about to get cap transplant surgery of about 15 caps and may be a few resistor, plus the diode rectifier bypass.

The second one I bought sounds better, amazing, impressive, perfect, static free and has noticeably better sensitivity than the first. It also has a shot a tuning-dial cords.

I feel like the recap on the first will bring it up to specs. Amazing the tweeters work on both, which I am thrilled with.

They both need to have the tuning/dial re-strung. The strings are gone or barely there. I did some very subtle lube of the shaft, pulley and air-cap. What a difference.

They both will get be recapped. I am about to place an order for a slug of filters and electrolytic caps. Although my first overhaul of old tube radios, I feel confident after study of the schematics (for a few hours looking the the bottom of the chassis).

One had the selenium diode bypassed. I think they one they used was a 1N4004 which is good enough, but the solder is kind of crude and want to put some insulation on the leads to class it up. I'll go to 1N4007. I might up the 22ohm 1W diode down stream but don't think it needs it.

Since the DC does not drive the filament heaters on the Y832 I don't think the voltage is as critical. When going from selenium to silicon the voltage drop is less, so a drop down resistor is added. The plate voltage is 100-250 volts. I don't think a few more volts will kill the tubes, since line voltage is 117VAC. (WHAT DO YOU THINK?)

Thanks for the INFO! Cool stuff.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot; 07-31-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's yet some more related Zenith trivia- I wrote this last year for ARC.

This ones a rare bird !

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Sep08_Hayden_Zenith.html

PS; In the past year I've found no info on this rare Zenith. I have many 1950s & 60s Zenith's, this ones my favorite !!

Last edited by anden; 07-31-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:50 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anden View Post
Here's yet some more related Zenith trivia- I wrote this last year for ARC.

This ones a rare bird !

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Sep08_Hayden_Zenith.html

PS; In the past year I've found no info on this rare Zenith. I have many 1950s & 60s Zenith's, this ones my favorite !!
There is one like it one ebay right now with a H725 case.
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2009, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Okey here's one very much like mine - http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ZENITH-T...d=p3286.c0.m14

Note that the wood front panel is taller than the standard Y832 AM/FM version so the power indicator light can be mounted on the wood panel instead of the grill portion. Also, the splayed feet are not seen on the Y832.

This is the first time I've seen another example of a AM/SW Zenith like the one in my article. Looks like very few were made for the export market in the 50's. As I mentioned in my article, there was a World cartel controlling the foreign market for export radios from the U.S. in the 1950s.

You just don't see these interesting shortwave Zenith's for sale hardly ever. If not what can be considered 'rare'....they are at least 'scarce'. Too bad, because they are great sounding and performing sets since they have a 6K6 output tube, a huge 8 inch speaker plus two 3 inch tweeters and three I.F. stages.

Update; The one in the plastic case sold for $271., that's the highest price I've ever seen on a 1950's Zenith tabletop radio !

Last edited by anden; 08-14-2009 at 06:39 AM.