Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA CTC101CL12 need service manual

I have an early eighties RCA Lyceum JER985SV TV intended for classroom use that I intend to use for a special project. It has line level video composite inputs on the back. I need the service manual, but am concerned that the SAMS CTC101C photofact that I just ordered will be too wrong to do me a lot of good (it is for a whole series of GER series TVs). Does anyone know the RCA chassis numbering scheme? Does anyone have the exact manual for this TV?

I have the original sales brochure for this TV in very good condition that I am willing to share with interested parties.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a bunch of RCA service data from a closed shop. The closest I've found is for chassis CTC 101C, model VEM 575W. I don't think that one is a Lyceum; looks like it was made for use as a video monitor, etc. But it does use a number of inputs/outputs and controls including: video input, bridged; video ouput; external speakers; audio input, bridged; audio input; audio output; video input 2; and pots for adjusting the bridged video level and video input level. The manual includes a schematic for all that. If it sounds close enough let me know, I could mail it to you or scan and email it. I will look for the CTC-68 manual a little later.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got your email but I don't have the diagrams handy here (its in storage). anyway, the CTC101 had the infamous flyback problem. The very high voltage was developed by multiple diodes between secondary windings, the CTC101 flyback had 3 diodes and 6 secondary sections. They should have used 6 diodes (and subsequently did on later models). The flyback would fail and that would take out the horiz out transistor. RCA used to sell a kit of these parts, and if I recall correctly, a set of focus pots too. But that was 20 years ago. Many CTC101s had warranty work for this, maybe your set has the replacement flyback already in it? If the set's not dead, it may have a replacement.

Be aware that portions of the CTC101 chassis are "hot" (direct connection to the line) and other portions are isolated from the line. Tuner and video and vertical circuits IIRC are isolated, but the horiz circuits are hot. Parts of the yoke are hot, and others isolated.

I used to work at RCA Labs at the time...

Last edited by wa2ise; 07-01-2012 at 03:42 PM.