Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134
2. Any content originally recorded in the analogue realm, shall persist in that realm, whether the corporations like it or not.
I wish the VHS distributers thought this way!!!

Many VHS movies have been RE-ISSUED and "Digitally" altered and look/sound like crap!!

I am very grateful to have found as many as I have that havent been digitally changed....... Seems like they are going out of thier way to destroy better analog media and its very sad....
Old 08-10-2013, 08:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
The digital thing, just a bunch of suit dummies wanting more cash.
Now, the suits can control what we see. We have to jump through their hoops just to see a free signal off-the-air.

In the case of the movies going digital, all the digital copies of the movies MUST have a key that is provided by the studio. If you don't have the key, you don't play the movie. Period. With 35mm film, you could play the movie as much as you wanted.

I hate digital. It has ruined everything.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

The things people are forced to throw away!

Our department is having a big cleanout. Everything must go,
unless you store it in your own space. All storage space is
being emptied.

The good new is that the things like tubes and the tube tester are being saved for now.

But vast numbers of perfectly good old vacuum pumps, perfectly good
old Tektronix oscilloscopes, 100 Variacs, beautiful old monochromators,
a few tons of stainless steel boxes, several 130 volt 10,000 amp DC power
supplies, etc. etc. are being thrown out.

Due to state law, they can't be sold for profit, only given to
other University departments or State agencies (and this is
essentially a logistic impossibility) or MUST be destroyed and sold
as scrap. We don't get any of the scrap money! They can however,
be ransacked for parts, and we sure do do that! I saved a few
very high end Viewsonic monitors and a couple of extra CRTs from them.

True antiques are an exception but somewhat a pain. A CTC-100,
for example, could be auctioned off ... but we would not get the proceeds.
But we have nothing like that, well the very high end tube testers, but those are safe.
We already have too many old scopes that aren't worth ... yet ...
enough to put on auction. Most go. All the antique lasers are going.

My 1971 vintage and now historic and antique scientific apparatus has
most of its bulk going ... no storage space ... but I saved the guts.

We're talking up to a million dollars of stuff that could be sold on eBay
for a good money, including expenses of bookkeeping, that by law can't
be sold that way, but by law must be scrapped. That money would fund
a couple of grad student fellowships forever, but we can't get it.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder why people have become this way? I know we always and still do appreciate our CRT TV's. I know my family doesn't think its's cool that we prefer a Console over a Flat Screen. However, she has had to have one of her flat screens worked on already and it still doesn't work right. I think I had mentioned had our Zenith Console bought in 1991 never had a problem until the Spring of this year and once the part was replaced it works as good as new. The flat screens will never last for 20+ yrs. like some of the old CRT's. Too bad we have become a throw away society.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've told one or two people, "laugh all you want; but, my old TV will still be going when you are on your fifth flatscreen and I won't have nearly as much money invested in my set-up." I don't think people today care if something last or not. By the time it breaks, something more "up to date" will be out; so, just toss it and buy a new one.

A long time ago, if someone spent big money for a TV, it had better last longer than a few years.
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Right On Target with your above statement.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Are you the fellow that I watched a You Tube Video on fixing a 1993 RCA Color Trax Console Set that had been hit by lighting? The date was May of this year. Did you ever get that set sold? I now of a guy who just the other day hauled one to the ditch just about like it. It was a 1997 Model. Their Mother In Law was watching it and it went to snow. They took it as the Picture Tube going out, but I think from what I have been told and read it may have been a simple fix of the tuner acting up in it like they were supposedly known for? I almost told them to put it in my vehicle. I didn't though as I would have been in big trouble from my Mother for bringing another TV home. I already have 3 console sets among 2 houses. I didn't know if the TV they threw away would be fixable because instead of moving it in the upright position they layed it down on the back side of the TV. Would this have done anymore damage to it or not? I thought maybe the gases or whatever is sealed inside of the picture tube may have become ruined? Also, it was just threw out a few days ago. It has rained once or twice since then. Do you think it could still be saved or should it be left as a ditch filler? The cabinet was excellent on it and it just killed me to see it tossed away. Futhermore, it is much newer than my 1986 Console RCA Color Trax but I really like mine but sure wouldn't mind having this one too if it still could be saved.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Yeah, that's his TV, and it still hasn't sold.

Placing that console on its back side may have broken the neck off the CRT, I don't know. As for the rain, just let the set dry out.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, that's me and that's the TV that's currently sitting at the consignment shop. They had $65 on it; but, I eventually told them to take whatever they could get. I know there is nothing we can do about it and I know I need to stop ranting about it; but, it seriously is disgusting and it pisses me off that I have a nice looking console TV, complete with A/V jacks for a video game or DVD player, and these SOB's in my area won't even give it a second look. It wasn't that many years ago that I would have laughed at someone for offering me $65 for such a TV and priced at $100, I would have had people fighting over it.

I have a friend, who I've mentioned before, whe sells second-hand items. About 13 years ago, when I first met him, he'd come over on Wednesday and pick up 3 or 4 TV's, sell them on Thursday, pick up more Thursday night, sell them on Friday, pick up more on Friday night, and sell them on Saturday. Even after his cut, I was still making several hundred dollars in a weekend. He was also doing very well at selling other used items.

Now, business has gotten so bad for him (not just with TV's) that he only sells stuff on Saturday; and, on some days, he only makes enough to cover his gas and food. He might sell one or two TV's a month, at $15-$25 each; which, ain't shit. He's about the only person who has luck with getting rid of my TV's; but, he only wants to deal with smaller sets that he can move by himself (he is in his 70's and not in the best of health) and he has dropped a few hints like he may be getting tired of fooling with TV's. Of course, I can't blame him. When you can only make a few dollars profit and then have to worry about these idiots who often don't understand what "as-is" means; then, it's really not worth the trouble. In the past, he has actually sold some TV's for next to nothing, only to have the idiot buyers bring them back a month later because they were not happy with the TV.

It all goes back to how snobby people have become in thinking they must have "new everything". You know, just run on down to best buy and swipe the plastic (I guess when you're already $20K in credit card debt; what's a few hundred added on here and there).

Concerning the '97 console, it probably wasn't a good idea for them to have laid it on it's back. If it's one of the RCA's with a flat back; then, it may be OK. If it's the style with a plastic cover that sticks out the back; then, they may have busted the neck off the CRT.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

If anyone here was in my area, I'd give them the damn thing just to get rid of it.
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

If I lived near you I wouldn't mind paying the $65 for it. It's too bad there wasn't a way that we could figure out how to get this to me. I am seriously interested in it.

I am in Northern Kansas.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, the shipping would cost way more than what the set is worth. Fortunately, RCA's that new are still very common and can usually be found locally. Just check the thrift stores. At any given time, there are always console TV's at our second-hand stores.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think it must have had a flat back on it as it was laying perfectly flat and not able to be rocked back and forth like if it had that plastic piece on the back.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

I get items for personal use or to resell rather than to collect and repair, so maybe I'm coming from a different angle than you guys. If I know I can't sell it, I don't bother w/it. To me, this tv trash/treasure thing is a glass half-full thing for you--almost a Golden Age. Why bemoan what people are throwing out when you can get the pick of it for (mostly) free? You're the beneficiary. Tech moves along and people will always want the latest. How many people lusted over bag phones because it was a status item and now no one other than someone who collects them would be caught dead w/ one?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User
I know we always and still do appreciate our CRT TV's.
You aint kidding buddy!!!!!!

WE KNOW WHAT WE HAVE! (I hear that saying "you dont know what you have until its gone" -- I THINK WE ALL HERE REALISE HOW GOOD WHAT WE HAVE IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01
I hate digital. It has ruined everything.
Indeed it has my friend!

Looks and sounds like crap compared to straight analog!!!!
Audiokarma