Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlabs View Post
Nope. With the resistors in series each resistor still has to handle all the current flowing through it.
Yup. All the current.
Quote:
So the wattage rating remains the same.
Since they're in series, each resistor sees only half the voltage. So the wattage rating of the pair hasta double.

Just for example - two 20K half-watters in series makes a 40K @ 1 watt rating.

Just as two 20K half-watters in parallel makes a 10K @ 1 watt rating.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:10 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Alrightie, I finally got motivated enough to compare the original parts list, my list of parts to replace and the contents of the Mouser shopping cart, all is good there.

Once I get info on a source for tuner capacitor grommets, dial string and bulbs I'm all set. Nevertheless it's good to have the info on the resistors, that was a tough nut to crack. I clipped out the 1.6k 4 watt resistor and smashed it apart just to see how it was made. It had a white cylindrical ceramic core with stranded leads going all the way through each end, was wrapped with very fine wire and topped off with a thin green coating. I have doubts it was one of the more reliable designs.

Now, can anyone point me in the direction of the last things I need? That would be great, a one-stop shop would be best. I'm finalizing a list and an estimate for the owner.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:46 AM
M is for Memory

This guy is a local cap vendor (I buy from him at swap-meets) and stocks dial cord and dial lamps as well as yellow film caps and lytics. http://www.radioantiques.com/

Some hardware stores stock rubber grommets if you look through the drawers (IIRC Ace hardware is one).

Madlabs: I fixed the series parallel resistance value thing, I noticed I got it backwards (sometimes I have to finish typing fast and skip a proof read) before I read your post...However I agree with old coot the effective wattage of the pair doubles in both configs. In college I proved that mathematically a few times and can do it again if you doubt us.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-24-2017, 04:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tom, I knew it was a typo. And I sit corrected and thank you and old coot for setting me straight!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:53 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Oh cool, that's one site I stumbled on, just needed confirmation of a good source.

Oh okay, so I don't need special tuner grommets, just the right size. I already added one grommet to my cart for the power cord. Got to replace the cord too, the insulation was falling apart.

The owner thought it might explode if powered up as-is; maybe not explode but I'm pretty sure the end result wouldn't have been pretty.
Audiokarma
Old 10-26-2017, 01:47 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I'm sure there's no short answer to this, but can this radio tune FM stations? I can't make head or tail of this dial.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pye T7103 dial glass.jpg (77.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I'm sure there's no short answer to this, but can this radio tune FM stations? I can't make head or tail of this dial.

No. This radio is broadcast band, and "general coverage" shortwave. It will be amplitude modulation only, no FM.

M c/s = MHz, and K c/s = KHz.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Gotcha, the frequencies in MHz looked unfamiliar to me and I didn't know what influence the markings on the right of the dial mean.

Anyway, I totaled up the cost of all the parts and supplies needed to restore this radio - the parts being a fraction of the cost - and at this point it looks like the owner doesn't want to bother with it so worst case I'll be hanging onto it as a long-term project. He wanted to use it regularly but there are no AM stations around here. No big deal, there must be something to listen to in the decent parts of the country.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Gotcha, the frequencies in MHz looked unfamiliar to me and I didn't know what influence the markings on the right of the dial mean.

Anyway, I totaled up the cost of all the parts and supplies needed to restore this radio - the parts being a fraction of the cost - and at this point it looks like the owner doesn't want to bother with it so worst case I'll be hanging onto it as a long-term project. He wanted to use it regularly but there are no AM stations around here. No big deal, there must be something to listen to in the decent parts of the country.
The markings on the right, at the top is BC, which means broadcast, and under that is the wavelength in meters. Wavelength is inversely related to frequency, and is commonly used in short wave and amateur radio.

As for parts count, there isn't really any reason to change all the resistors, and you can use cheaper capacitors. That's a really cool radio and it would be nice to see it work, but I agree without any use for it it's a tough sell.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:40 PM
M is for Memory

May not be any daytime AM, but there should be some decent stations at night....I've regularly been able to tune AM stations from better than half way across the continent at night.
I don't know what to expect with short wave up there, but if somewhat close to the east coast there should be plenty of European stations.

Audiokarma
Old 10-27-2017, 06:53 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
The markings on the right, at the top is BC, which means broadcast, and under that is the wavelength in meters. Wavelength is inversely related to frequency, and is commonly used in short wave and amateur radio.

As for parts count, there isn't really any reason to change all the resistors, and you can use cheaper capacitors. That's a really cool radio and it would be nice to see it work, but I agree without any use for it it's a tough sell.
Blame it on my OCD maybe but I avoid cheaping out like the plague. Besides, the parts cost from Mouser, shipping included is about a quarter of what would be needed to restore this radio. Who knows, whenever I can afford it I may grab the parts that don't have a best before date as I never know when they'll run out or be discontinued, then just grab the supplies when I can. It has only seven electrolytics, four of them in two-section cans.

Soon enough I'll clean the crud off the front of the dial glass (I won't attempt the back) and take it to where I can scan it, just in case. I'll scan the original documentation as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
May not be any daytime AM, but there should be some decent stations at night....I've regularly been able to tune AM stations from better than half way across the continent at night.
I don't know what to expect with short wave up there, but if somewhat close to the east coast there should be plenty of European stations.
I can pull in weak nighttime signals with my Philco-Ford stereos from a couple of AM stations in the US, one 1010 WIN in NY. That's how I first heard that Osama Bin Laden had the biscuit.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:36 PM
The Resident Brony

Hmm... get a small crappy portable fm radio and inject that into this radio.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:07 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Hmm... get a small crappy portable fm radio and inject that into this radio.
Would it be possible to align the FM radio for use with the Pye's tuner? I've been checking the values of AM/FM gang capacitors and they seem to be very similar. Also, I was watching a video by a fellow who made an FM converter that uses an antique radio's existing tuner but it's all in Italian as is his site.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:21 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Would it be possible to align the FM radio for use with the Pye's tuner? I've been checking the values of AM/FM gang capacitors and they seem to be very similar. Also, I was watching a video by a fellow who made an FM converter that uses an antique radio's existing tuner but it's all in Italian as is his site.
Easiest way is to patch audio from the FM tuner into the audio amp of the Pye.....If you got clever (and were using a SS FM tuner) you could power it off the Pye (perhaps by tapping into the heater string), and possibly add a gear to the stock tuning cap shaft and gear the FM tuner's cap to it.

Another option is to look for a Pilot FM tuner and hook that to it.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:24 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Easiest way is to patch audio from the FM tuner into the audio amp of the Pye.....If you got clever (and were using a SS FM tuner) you could power it off the Pye (perhaps by tapping into the heater string), and possibly add a gear to the stock tuning cap shaft and gear the FM tuner's cap to it.
That sounds very similar to what this fellow has done, only it seems his FM converter is scratch-built. The video has subtitles but a lot of information gets lost in translation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVo0AXA4IUc

Ultimately this sort of thing is what I would like to do, a totally reversible "barely there" modification. I was thinking I might be able to do it with a modified automotive FM converter, but then MadMan mentioned the FM portable radio which would be much easier to get my hands on.
Audiokarma