Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Canadian GE tombstone

Just put the finishing touches on it today
What a sensitive and great sounding mid thirties radio. If you like old radios which perform well and are well made, this one is a great catch.
Did a full recap, alignment seemed fine so left it alone.
Rubber wire did my best to not disturb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3947.jpg (65.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-19-2017, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3948.jpg (68.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-19-2017, 04:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks very nice, not too busy but not plain Jane either.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

After living with this radio for a while, I have one issue which needs resolving. It seems to have a bit of an issue with the letter S, it almost slurs it. It's a subtle effect but it would be nice to see it gone. A full alignment didn't help with this issue. All the tubes are good.

I made a video to capture the issue. Almost seems like poor audio bandwidth?

https://youtu.be/YOkexKRGLCk
Old 02-25-2017, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does it have a tone control? If not, you might try a treble-cut capacitor across the output xfmr primary. Try various values around .001 to .01 so.

Simple tone controls were usually a treble-cut cap in series with a potentiometer or switch.
Audiokarma
Old 02-25-2017, 03:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Does it have a tone control? If not, you might try a treble-cut capacitor across the output xfmr primary. Try various values around .001 to .01 so.

Simple tone controls were usually a treble-cut cap in series with a potentiometer or switch.
Hi, thanks for responding.

It has a really cool three position tone control - treble cut (cap like you suggest, sounds muffled) - flat - treble boost. I tend to use flat, treble cut is a little harsh, it spoils the highs.

I tried listening to the same thing on a 1938 silvertone and it sounds very similar. Could just be what CBC is doing to their signal.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:11 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Could be a minor amount of mid-frequency distortion in the loudspeaker generating some artificial highs. Whatever it is, I'd guess it's pretty normal as verified by your comparison to another set. You might try halving the value of the cap in the treble-cut.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Could be a minor amount of mid-frequency distortion in the loudspeaker generating some artificial highs. Whatever it is, I'd guess it's pretty normal as verified by your comparison to another set. You might try halving the value of the cap in the treble-cut.
Good idea. Thinking about it you may likely be right, it probably is speaker related. Especially since the set really sounds good with music. The radio performs and sounds really good, honestly, it's hard believe it is 80 years old it's still working this well!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fabulous looking piece. I'm in the midst of restoring a '37 deForest Crosley Saturn. It's been the better part of a year. Picked it up at a local auction for $85.00. Thinking that all the bits were there that it would be a simple plug and play situation with only the referb of the wood...
Nope.
The tube lump had all the bits however somewhere along its life the original schematics were severely modded with different tubes. So now it sits down at the friend of my grandfather's, a retired tech for the Canadian Armed Forces, on his bench being switched back to original spec.
Received an update this morning - that I thought I might add on - apparently he made a deal with a collector outside Halifax that has a passion for these old pieces and just finished the restoration of a same year, but different model, deForest to do the restoration on mine because apparently he wanted some piece of radio gear that my friend had sitting on his shelf........ Fingers crossed that it turns out..lol
Old 03-25-2017, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Want to share a photo?

I like using my GE to listen to CBC, when the program Randy Bachman's vinyl tap comes on - he has good taste in music, usually makes for some interesting listening. Thank goodness CBC still has some good programming, and the radio remains useful!
Audiokarma