Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2015, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I keep missing Kevin's posts. This is from yesterday. I will try antenna directly to grid RF2 and see what happens.

jr - No, I didn't ground the chassis to the house ground. I actually did that on the first-ever piece of electronics I worked on a few years ago. Couldn't figure out why the circuit breaker tripped every time I turned on the power. Then I read the sticker on the back panel, "DO NOT GROUND THIS CHASSIS!"

Potentiometer? I guess this is technically a pot, but I don't think they had started using that word in 1928. The wires exit the side of the Bakelite shell, and they're not accessible without pulling the chassis. The volume control apparently works properly when the signal goes through it, but the next time I pull the chassis I'll look at that.

Power transformer primary leaking to ground? Probably not, but easy enough to check.

So, this evening I'll (1) Try antenna wire to 2nd RF grid, (2) Check resistance between power transformer primary and ground, and maybe (3) Set the Model 42 up like the Model 37 using the antenna choke from the older model.

Oh, I almost forgot that I have a Heathkit signal tracer that I "restored" last year, but it's never been used. If a signal tracer would be helpful, I'll see if I can figure out how to work it.