Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:30 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Just got through doing the RCA Colorama with the Zenith style halo. I used a heat gun, and about an hour and a half of my time. I had to force the wooden pieces in between the glass, and amazingly, nothing broke. I got the glass off just fine, with LOTS of heat. And yes, the green stuff smells like burning piss. I'll take the RCA style any day over the Zenith style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:50 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by edison64 View Post
But as I stated the green cataracts can only be removed with a heat gun and lots of patience or a hot wire usually a guitar string hooked to an old battery charger you simply pull it through and it melts its way and boy does it stink
No need to run current through the guitar string or heat it....I've done cold guitar string zenith cat removals, and they work as well as hot does. Interesting that the heat gun method works, but I would still not recommend it due to the implosion hazards involved in the heat gun methods uneven heat...I've had RCA CRT faces crack from being unevenly heated by the sun so I'm a bit less of a fan of heat based cat removal methods than some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
And yes, the green stuff smells like burning piss. I'll take the RCA style any day over the Zenith style.
I've always thought it smells exactly like a brand new out of the box inflatable pool toy....Magnified by like 30X.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-10-2017, 07:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've always thought it smells exactly like a brand new out of the box inflatable pool toy....Magnified by like 30X.
Happy memories of my youth! Every time I get a whiff of that smell it reminds me of when we went to the Sinclair station to gas up Mom's car in the 1960's. They used to give away inflatable Dinos with a fill-up.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:48 PM
TheUniversalDave1

What did you say about implosion? I took care of that prior...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (100.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-12-2017, 02:40 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I did a quick of a 20x20X.1 volume of 40cubed inch, about 22 oz. Not sure if its sold in bulk for that kind of delivery.
Huh. A fair point. 22oz = 660ish mL. It's sold in 5mL usually, 50mL would be about $30... but really, I still think it's feasible, the layer would just be very thin. But then... with no real gap, that diminishes the safety aspect, doesn't it?

idk
Audiokarma