Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-03-2023, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

SQPB - what is it?

I mean, I know what SQPB does: plays SVHS tapes at regular VHS quality, does not record SVHS. But what exactly is it?

Is it, basically, SVHS VCR that is deprived of recording SVHS? Does "VHS quality" simply mean that the video is output via composite, not SVideo? So, if I use a true SVHS VCR and output via composite, is it "VHS quality"?

If it is indeed an SVHS VCR that was limited to playback only, is it any different from proper SVHS VCR aside of missing SVideo output? Does recording SVHS require extra hardware compared to recording VHS and playing back SVHS?

If it is indeed a neutered SVHS, why was this done? Just to create two price points for VHS and SVHS? I think this was a mistake, I think that JVC should have completely switched to SVHS in 1987. Was SVHS hardware significantly more expensive than VHS? As far as I understand, the biggest difference was in tape quality to provide wider bandwidth.

Or is it more or less regular VHS somehow enhanced to play SVHS tapes? In this case I am not sure why regular VHS machines could not do it.

On a side note, it seems that Super Beta was a reasonable compromise, having the resolution almost like broadcast TV yet backwards compatible with most older machines. Too bad that JVC decided to outclass Super Beta, creating an incompatible format. Or, it should have given more bandwidth to chrominance, say 330-350 lines of luminance and 80-100 lines of chrominance, it would be an all-around better format, much closer to Betacam, which, I believe, has 330 luminance / 120 chrominance resolution. It seems that VCR manufacturers were blinded by luminance resolution only, despite that most people had color TVs in 1980s.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a tread about it..
https://www.tapeheads.net/threads/wa...an-svhs.93816/

Seems like a VCR that can play higher quality tapes than a normal VCR could.

JVC could not have just switched to S-VHS in 1987 because there was a huge market for VHS. Since the machines cost more, it may have killed the whole VHS format. If people wanted the higher quality, it was available. Remember, back then almost nobody cared about picture quality. Most recorded in 6 hour mode! Also CRT TVs (mostly 27" or under) seem a lot more forgiving for picture quality than your big 65+" flat screen!
Old 03-04-2023, 01:33 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I havent ever heard of SQPB..

I assume it means

Superior Quality Play back

But to be honest my reg VCR looks quite beautiful to me.......
Old 03-04-2023, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redk9258 View Post
Seems like a VCR that can play higher quality tapes than a normal VCR could.
I am looking for a bit more technical answer, thanks.
Old 03-04-2023, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I havent ever heard of SQPB..

I assume it means

Superior Quality Play back

But to be honest my reg VCR looks quite beautiful to me.......
Super VHS Quasi Playback.

Allowed regular VHS machines to play back tapes recorded on S-VHS.
Audiokarma
Old 03-04-2023, 08:46 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Ahhhhh <<>> Mine will play SVHS but I assume its standard quality........

Last edited by Dude111; 04-08-2023 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

No one can explain how does SQPB actually work?
Old 03-16-2023, 07:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVtyro View Post
No one can explain how does SQPB actually work?
It was nothing but an advanced chip and circuit (by regular VHS standards) that could read an SVHS recording and output it at standard VHS resolution. There was nothing special about it.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
It was nothing but an advanced chip and circuit (by regular VHS standards) that could read an SVHS recording and output it at standard VHS resolution. There was nothing special about it.
How much different / less expensive was it compared to proper SVHS if I cared only about playback? Would this chip, feeding Y/C video into SVideo jack deliver practically the same quality as SVHS VCR? Were there, to your knowledge, SQPB machines with SVideo output?
Old 03-16-2023, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
How much different / less expensive was it compared to proper SVHS if I cared only about playback? Would this chip, feeding Y/C video into SVideo jack deliver practically the same quality as SVHS VCR? Were there, to your knowledge, SQPB machines with SVideo output?
I've never seen an SQPB machine with an S-Video output (not counting VHS/DVD combos, but they would only output the DVD side over S-Video). Also all the machines I've ever seen were clear that they provided S-VHS playback functionality at VHS quality. If you're looking for S-VHS quality playback, you need an S-VHS machine.

JVC really started the push for SQPB when Sony offered Hi8 Camcorders, this allowed them to offer S-VHS-C camcorders to compete without the need for people to buy an expensive S-VHS VCR for playback.
Audiokarma
Old 03-16-2023, 11:19 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Others may know better for sure, but essentially SQPB is a circuit that lets the VCR read the Super-VHS luma recording at its correct center frequency, but without the expanded bandwidth (higher resolution).

SuperBeta VCRs did this same function right from the start, without needing a separate switch. But, SuperBeta was less of an improvement/change compared to Super VHS.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-17-2023, 09:32 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
I've never seen an SQPB machine with an S-Video output (not counting VHS/DVD combos, but they would only output the DVD side over S-Video). Also all the machines I've ever seen were clear that they provided S-VHS playback functionality at VHS quality. If you're looking for S-VHS quality playback, you need an S-VHS machine.

JVC really started the push for SQPB when Sony offered Hi8 Camcorders, this allowed them to offer S-VHS-C camcorders to compete without the need for people to buy an expensive S-VHS VCR for playback.
My Toshiba D-VR5 has SQPB and will send the tapes output through S-video, it also has S-video input and will record to VHS or DVD from that input. It'll also playback VHS through it's HDMI output too.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-17-2023, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
My Toshiba D-VR5 has SQPB and will send the tapes output through S-video, it also has S-video input and will record to VHS or DVD from that input. It'll also playback VHS through it's HDMI output too.
Nice! I guess since it is a VHS/DVD combo, Toshiba decided to reuse SVideo and HDMI outputs for both sources, which is what I expect from EVERY VHS/DVD combo machine. Sadly, most of them use SVideo and HDMI for DVD only.

Do you have a proper SVHS machine? Have you compared the quality from an SVHS machine to this Toshiba when played off SVideo output?
Old 03-17-2023, 01:10 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Nice! I guess since it is a VHS/DVD combo, Toshiba decided to reuse SVideo and HDMI outputs for both sources, which is what I expect from EVERY VHS/DVD combo machine. Sadly, most of them use SVideo and HDMI for DVD only.

Do you have a proper SVHS machine? Have you compared the quality from an SVHS machine to this Toshiba when played off SVideo output?
I have MANY S-VHS and S-VHS-ET decks... I made a sub-hobby of collecting them a decade ago when the local thrifts had ~50 VCRs on the shelves per store (the S-VHS, beta, and top loaders were what I bought). I'd need to pull the Toshiba out of my rack or rig up a 25' S-video cable and connect AV directly to my 'modern TV' to properly compare. It's going to be a few days before I have time.

Back when I was time shifting on S-VHS-ET a decade ago my main TVs were a 1964 Silvertone CTC-16 clone roundy color and a 1971 Zenith 12B13C52 color fed through RF so quality difference wasn't as distinct. I don't think I've ever had the Toshiba directly AV linked to a set that was built during my lifetime.

My current video setup is kind of a weird mish mash of eras. My modern TV is Sony 1080i Super-fine-pitch Trinitron HD-CRT fed HDMI and RF from my main rack, and all the non-HDMI sources in my main rack (most of it) and all the HDMI sources via analog output or conversion feed into some Blonder Tongue AM60s that transmit NTSC house wide to all my vacuum tube sets. I've got around 100 TVs almost all of which are pre-solid state. I don't even own a flat panel set currently.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-17-2023, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
As soon as I posted that I new someone would come along with a DVD recorder to correct me.
Audiokarma