Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2019, 09:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

83 Lincoln Continental

I wanted something to drive in traffic to work every morning other than my 84 Firebird. I don't like putting the miles on it (It's up to 45.5K from 44 already), and while I like the 5-speed, driving a 5-speed in heavy traffic on the highway every morning at 6AM isn't so great. And I wanted something with AC. I was looking for a truck or a van (for hauling TVs), but came across this Lincoln on craigslist yesterday and couldn't pass it up.

It's got the 302 (with the tbi) and a 4-speed auto, disc brakes on all 4 wheels, and these weird aluminum/spoke wheels (those aren't hubcaps). It's not very big for a Lincoln, I'm almost positive its built on the same chassis as an 86 T-Bird I used to have. It's also low milage for its age (88k). I like the unusual colors (the two tone gold and yellow/cream-color). Its got every accessory known to man: power door locks, windows (2 out of 4 work), seats, trunk (not working), gas cap, mirrors, antenna, cruise control, tilt wheel, leather seats, ps, pb, ac, rear window defroster, light-up thermometer mounted on the side mirror, fully digital dash with this clock/ milage calculating computer in the center.

The stereo (with cassette) is the best sounding in any car I've ever had. The controls are scratchy though. I haven't tried the cassette yet - I probably won't until I take the radio out to clean the controls rather than just putting in a tape and probably watching it get eaten.

It's got some minor issues: I had to put a new battery (It almost didn't start back up after stopping at a gas station when I was driving it home.) The parking break won't stay engaged unless I push some lever way up under the dash, and won't release unless I pull it. And I sometimes hear this awful high-pitched whining sound from behind the dash (only if the car is in forward gear). I'm wondering if these issues aren't related and there's some kind of leaky vacuum operated switch that releases the parking break when the car is in drive.

pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00B0B_fUhVzROlu2Z_600x450.jpg (46.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 00N0N_3i2qbbgNzwX_600x450.jpg (23.3 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Adam; 09-29-2019 at 02:50 PM.