Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Towing a 94 Caprice

So I will be moving in with my girlfriend within the year, and my Caprice is still running very poorly (backfiring, hesitation) and I am not sure I'll have it running before then with my bad back and other ailments now these days.

It's RWD and I was looking at towing dolly's but now I'm not sure I can do that. You can't tow it backwards for obvious safety reasons, but even if it's in neutral, without the engine running it won't properly lubricate itself when being pulled since it's a 4L60E tranny.

Should I just get a full bed to tow it on or is there something else I can do, like remove the driveshaft?
Old 05-19-2021, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

If its the LT-1 or if it has optispark I think they call it? check the
little vacuum that goes from the distributor to up top. Mine fell
off & it did exactly the same thing. That was on a 94 Roadmaster
with the LT-1.

As for towing I just play it safe & flat bed it. Thats pretty much
every tow truck around here anyhows.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 05-19-2021, 04:25 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

When was the last time you put fresh gas in it?

Symptom sounds like my '88 S10 4.3 V6 I let sit too long, before the Techron and fresh gas hit the injectors and it suddenly started running normally.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
When was the last time you put fresh gas in it?

Symptom sounds like my '88 S10 4.3 V6 I let sit too long, before the Techron and fresh gas hit the injectors and it suddenly started running normally.
About 2 years. I didn't think it was that long, but my girlfriend says it was.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
If its the LT-1 or if it has optispark I think they call it? check the
little vacuum that goes from the distributor to up top. Mine fell
off & it did exactly the same thing. That was on a 94 Roadmaster
with the LT-1.

As for towing I just play it safe & flat bed it. Thats pretty much
every tow truck around here anyhows.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Yea it's the LT1, and I just double checked, I did connect that. I used to have so many issues with the Opti, and all of this started happening when I hit a major puddle of water in one of the worst rainfalls I've been in. I am almost certain the opti is shot, since I replaced the plugs and wires.
Audiokarma
Old 05-19-2021, 11:09 PM
The Resident Brony

Put it on the tow dolly backwards and ensure the steering wheel locks in roughly the center position. Alternatively you could just put it in neutral, but I wouldn't tow it very far. Maybe like 20 miles tops, and not at highway speed. Removing the driveshaft is another option, but a pain in the ass, and messy. All the trans fluid will drain out, especially because the car will be on an incline, being parked front first on a dolly. If you're not moving too far away, just call a tow truck. 100 mile tow can't be more than $200, about the price of renting a two-wheel dolly.

As for the running problem, empty the tank and get some fresh gas in it first. After that, attack the opti-spark crap. Either you have water and corrosion in the distributor cap, or the cam sensor is taking a dump. Granted, it could be something entirely unrelated to the ignition. A major vacuum leak, perhaps.

Last edited by MadMan; 05-19-2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Put it on the tow dolly backwards and ensure the steering wheel locks in roughly the center position. Alternatively you could just put it in neutral, but I wouldn't tow it very far. Maybe like 20 miles tops, and not at highway speed. Removing the driveshaft is another option, but a pain in the ass, and messy. All the trans fluid will drain out, especially because the car will be on an incline, being parked front first on a dolly. If you're not moving too far away, just call a tow truck. 100 mile tow can't be more than $200, about the price of renting a two-wheel dolly.

As for the running problem, empty the tank and get some fresh gas in it first. After that, attack the opti-spark crap. Either you have water and corrosion in the distributor cap, or the cam sensor is taking a dump. Granted, it could be something entirely unrelated to the ignition. A major vacuum leak, perhaps.
Unfortunately this would be a 5 hour drive.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Unfortunately this would be a 5 hour drive.
From experience, I would see about renting ( or borrowing) a pick-up and flatbed trailer suitable for car hauling for a haul that long. Check your load every stop and take your time and you'll get it safely there.
Btw I have a '94 Buick Roadmaster with the same LT-1 engine. Love it.