Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I used to own one of the last Iowa built machines from Maytag. The only thing I ever did to it was replace the drive belt and the pump belt, ONCE. I ran it from 1983 to 2006. Even then, I gave the pair to my mother, where they are running just fine today.

I am not buying into this new junk. My current pair are running just fine.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:55 AM
"Book em Dano!"

Some Whirlpool, Maytag,Kenmore washers are using a new drive system. It uses a small belt to dive some smaller transmission. Its all computerized and He and you have to learn how to work on top loaders all over again . They are totally different than the "Cabrio" style washers. I'm sure in 5-10 years you wont see any new "old style" direct drive washers anymore. We(used aplliance store) have a contract to buy used washers/dryers/fridges/beds and TV's from a local appliance store that they pick up from customers homes when they buy new sets . We wont work on the newer Maytag(except whirlpool built stuff or front loaders) performa crap and we get a fair amount of it. Funny we NEVER see any older Maytag stuff because it rarely fails.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not sure it they count as home appliances, but photographic equipment of the era was really hit or miss, especially with movie projectors. Looking over old catalogs, it looks like you had to hit a pretty high price point before you could get one that would not shred film continuously. The really notorious ones were the cheapo specials that appeared in the backs of comic books or magazines like Famous Monsters of Filmland (Captain Company, anyone?) Those projectors might just be powered by a few D cell batteries with no film loop to speak of.

So much film died in these things, and worse still, people are still trying to get these junkers running today, and destroying irreplaceable films in the process.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:33 PM
I love old stuff

Let me tell you stories about the "good" Romanian home made apliances.
Somwhere in the late '50's, when the (Communist) economy of Romania begun to grow and the wages (sallaryes) increased a little bit we started to manufactured washing machines. It was even an "automatic" model (for switching from washing to spining mode you had to remove the agitator). They wheren't manufactured in large number and they wheren't use for more then 10-15 years.
We also made non-automatic washing machines at I.M.S. (Întreprinderea Metalurgică de Stat/State Metalurgical Enteprise) from Sibiu (Hermannstadt). They where named <<Perla>> (<<The Pearl>>). They where better made. I think some where used for 20 years. I know somone who's parent's still use an <<Perla>> 2 from 1964! and I found one for sale.
But then we started making washing machines at U.M.C. Cugir (Uzina Mecanică Cugir/Cugir Mechanical Plant) - that also is manufacturing weapons (arms). I.M.S. Sibiu and U.M. Cugir made in paralel for some time washing machines. The ones made at Cugir where called <<Albalux>>. But they wheren't luxury washing machines at all... they where simple models, non-automatic. The post mid 1970's models where pain in the ass - usually they dind't last more then 15 years (in some case 10). They had leaks and the water was droping on the engine (many people died electrocuted on these bloody things). Later on, they stared to put plastic in stad of paint!, normal steel in stad of inox (stainless stell)... I can't tell how some one nicknamed them.
I don't know how where the ones made in the '90's.
In the '80's we started to manufacture automatic washing machines. At U.M. Cugir. They had mechanical (clockwork) timers and where made under Yougoslav licence (the timer was Made in Yugoslavia). They where pice of crap too, but they where easy to repair. I don't know how the newer models where.

Since the new washing machines are pice of crap, I'm dreaming on gettin me an pre 1999 German "Miele".

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 04-25-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
My kitchen is old stuff, too. Big SUB ZERO refrigerator-freezer with a pair of new thermostats (it has 2 compressors) a big Magic Chef gas wall oven built in 1970... There was one just like it in the kitchen set of THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY on TV back in the day.
What model oven is that? We had what appeared to be the same model oven in our house which was built in 1968 (I think the oven came with the house), but I've never been able to track down the model. The closest I've come is a similar but not identical "Concept Series" model: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/111...02/1418380569/ .

Edit: Here is a page with pictures of the Partridge Family oven (the green one from Seasons 1-3): http://www.retrospace.org/2013/12/vi...ge-family.html

Last edited by robatino; 04-06-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-05-2015, 11:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

I can't supply you a model number. The model plate is corroded.

Mine is also a Concept Series unit.

A few months ago, I took the glass off the front of the unit, washed it, and cleaned the faces of the controls and clock / timer. It looks like new now.

I used to have the matching gas cooktop, but it developed issues with the burner gas valves, so I replaced it with a slightly-newer model that just happened to fit in the hole in the countertop perfectly.

The nice thing: Now, we don't ever smell gas in the kitchen area anymore, after the rangetop replacement.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

i am using a whirlpool direct drive washer and its getting old has been a great washer. lucked upon a roper direct drive washer for $30.00 like new the cold water inlet was clogged. so i now have a spare washer when the main one kicks the wash bucket.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:41 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Thanks. Speed Queen for my next washer. My present washer is a 1999 era Frigidaire Gallery model. My late Grandmother bought it used, technician serviced, no issues thus far. It's been decent. Her old GE range was on it's last legs, I now own a simple Whirlpool which was lightly used which I bought for $60. How are Speed Queen dryers? My 1969 or 1970ish GE dryer is getting in need of major service or outright replacement.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I finished rebuilding my house in 2007 I ordered a Speed Queen washer and dryer set. No problems whatsoever in 8 years so far. I left all the appliances when I sold the house except the Speed Queens. My dryer is electric and has worked perfectly. Stainless Steel tubs in both.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Probably anything from start of time up to the 1980's was good.
Everybody I know around here have washers and dryers that are 25 plus years old.

Today's high end stuff is probably OK but got to watch out for those cheap ones.

I notice there is big run on dehumidifiers that are having issues with them and recalling them.I have an old Westinghouse dehumidifier here which is almost 50 years old and still working great.
Audiokarma
Old 10-03-2015, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Westinghouse Laundramat.

There was an old Westinghouse commercial on Decades TV, yesterday.
They still made front load washers for the '58 model year. I know, they made those funky looking robot type, for the coin laundries.
Today, the front loader is the hot setup.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Up here in ye ol' Canada one of the more famous brands out east was Beatty and Dominion until the end of the 50's. Their appliances were amazing and I'm still finding the damn things in the weirdest of places.
There is a piston action water pump in the shed that used to service an old cabin. Patent dating on the pressure cylinder puts it to 1934 but the only real problems I had with it when I had to rebuild it was the cup leathers had completely dried out. Otherwise it runs like a champ.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I picked up an Avocado 1969 Maytag set this Summer, and an 1974 Harvest Gold Whirlpool Imperial set.. Why? Because my basement needs to be crowded..LOL!

I intend to put the Maytags to use in my 1968 never updated, laundry room!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maytaghome1.JPG (25.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-14-2015, 08:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those maytags strangely remind me of one if my oddities; a GE 1970 clock radio which sticks out with its avocado green plastic. The radio works great but the color certainly doesn't agree with everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri
There's a ton of wasted space too
Thats not wasted space tell her!!

Its usable space for pots,etc
Audiokarma