Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Motorola Minion

Delco Wonderbar Mystery

Hi all, I have a 1959 Pontiac "wonder bar" that has a missing tube. The model is 988977, but sams has no listing for it and all the other radios with a similar number are not like this one. I found a 12AD6, 12EK6, 12DZ6 and 12DV8. There is a missing 9-pin tube that is likely the preamp to the output transistor. nay ideas what that tube might be, I prolly have it.

Dave
Old 12-27-2014, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Should be the ones your looking for volume 19 1959 page 30-31

http://makearadio.com/beitmans/

Last edited by Paul Knaack; 12-28-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:17 AM
The glass is -3dB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Hi all, I have a 1959 Pontiac "wonder bar" that has a missing tube. The model is 988977, but sams has no listing for it and all the other radios with a similar number are not like this one. I found a 12AD6, 12EK6, 12DZ6 and 12DV8. There is a missing 9-pin tube that is likely the preamp to the output transistor. nay ideas what that tube might be, I prolly have it.

Dave
Comedy reply: The tube you're thinking of probably starts with 12.

Somewhere out there is a database that you can enter 3 or 4 known tubes and get a list of units that used them. Possibly radiomuseum?

Being a pontiac product there's also always the chance that someone still has access to an old GM parts-list for a vehicle that came with it as standard that might list tubes. (It would not surprise me one bit if they had GM / Delco / Mopar branded tubes just because they could.)
Old 12-28-2014, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Dave:
The missing tube is a 12AL8 according to my SAM's Auto Radio Manual.

Gregb
Old 12-28-2014, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregb View Post
Hi Dave:
The missing tube is a 12AL8 according to my SAM's Auto Radio Manual.

Gregb
I was going to suggest that tube as well.
IIRC, it's the trigger tube for the search function.
BTW, I tried to download Deja-Vu from the Make-A-Radio website, so I can access Beitmans schematics. All I got was tons of corruption. My other computer is almost totally useless.
Audiokarma
Old 12-28-2014, 04:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey DJ, your right, the trigger tube. I just fixed a wonderbar for a guy and it was missing the same tube, must not be a very common tube.

Gregb
Old 12-29-2014, 03:31 PM
Motorola Minion

Thanks Greg! I have about a dozen NOS 12AL8s and all the others.

These are the oddest tubes with only 12.6 on the plates and a "space-charge" grid 1, exclusive to car radios.

I recapped this radio last evening and now just need to plug in a new 12DV8 and 12AL8 to see what kind of noise it makes.

The owner told me that "wonderbar" was like the original seek function, I wonder how well it worked, since Delco seem to offer it only during the late 50s.

Paul, I will try the Beitmans and get the right file reader, since it appears quite helpful like NostalgiaAir. There are just too many holes in my Sams and OEM schematics coverage.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Dave:
If you need a copy of the schematic, let me know.

Gregb
Old 12-30-2014, 05:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The owner told me that "wonderbar" was like the original seek function, I wonder how well it worked, since Delco seem to offer it only during the late 50s.

I'm not trying to nit pick or play "Mr. Internet Expert" here , but , the wonderbar radio was available in at least as late as 1964 , as I had a 64 2 door caddy that had it . My 1961 and 1958 caddys had the wonderbar as well . It was , as your friend said , a signal seek function that when the bar was pushed (my 58 had a button on the floor , next to the high beams , that would activate it as well) it would mechanically tune the radio to the next station with signal in an ascending manner . When it was pushed enough to reach the "top" of the dial (1600 KHZ) it would then snap back to the bottom of the dial (540 KHZ) to begin seeking again . Any strong station would get it to stop on that signal .

PS , I went through my automotive "Aircraft carrier" days back in the 1970s , and so my caddys are long gone now .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Cadillac.jpg (67.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1964 Caddy.jpg (65.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-30-2014, 06:39 PM
M is for Memory

In the late 70's 'signal search radios' (wonderbar was no doubt trademarked) were options in Lincolns too.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 01-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Motorola Minion

Most of what I know about Wonderbars came from reading Autotrader, Hemmings and similar ads for classic cars. They seemed to be in Corvettes more than anything else.

Its nice to know more were made and I could get more to restore, since this one came to life easily.

After replacing the missing and the weak/shorted tubes, the 8 wax capacitors and electros, it really received exceptionally well and sounded good for a Delco radio of any vintage.
I was using my 120 foot outdoor wire antenna stretched between two trees, so maybe a 30 inch car antenna may not work as well.
When the bar was pushed the first time, it muted and the motor moved tuner ahead, but not to an active station. Each time after that, it wouldn't advance much, but trying like it was not getting enough voltage.

I was afraid to just start applying lithium grease all over the tuning mechanism, figuring there was a prescriptive method. The tuner seems to operate freely enough.

Is there a method to lubricate these worm-gear motors?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank You Tom , I appreciate the help with the signal seek feature , I had the caddys with it , but most of my other , non GM cars back in those days were things like Mustangs and one really fast Road Runner . Go fast cars never had the luxury appointments like the pricier caddys and Lincolns had . As a funny aside , the white 61 in my photo had the auto dimming high beams and believe it or not the unit that reacted to the phototube's input had 2 vacuum tubes in it ! I know most folks know of the tube car radios , but to see tubes doing other functions like the auto dimming lights was a kinda cool discovery when I first opened the unit and saw the tubes . They had the "Guide" logo on them that you were discussing in your thread about your car . Congrats for it , BTW , I hope you get great service out of it .

And as to lubricating anything in these old car radios , I would do nothing without first speaking to the guy over at ARF who rebuilds classic car radios , I don't remember his name but he had an avatar of a 60's Tbird trunk full of old car radios ...
Old 01-02-2015, 02:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Dave:
The wonderbar I fixed did exactly the same thing, would not grab a station. It turned out to be the 100pf mica coupling cap from the second IF transformer feeding pin 8 of the 12AL8 tube. Changed that and away it went.

Gregb
Old 01-02-2015, 03:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Most of what I know about Wonderbars came from reading Autotrader, Hemmings and similar ads for classic cars. They seemed to be in Corvettes more than anything else.
Yep! The first one that I remember seeing/repairing was in an old 1954 Corvette "Blue Flame 6" that belonged to a friend in High School. Boy, I wish that I had that car even with its crummy 2 speed "powerglide" transmission and 6 cylinder engine today!

jr
Old 01-02-2015, 07:31 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Thank You Tom , I appreciate the help with the signal seek feature , I had the caddys with it , but most of my other , non GM cars back in those days were things like Mustangs and one really fast Road Runner . Go fast cars never had the luxury appointments like the pricier caddys and Lincolns had . As a funny aside , the white 61 in my photo had the auto dimming high beams and believe it or not the unit that reacted to the phototube's input had 2 vacuum tubes in it ! I know most folks know of the tube car radios , but to see tubes doing other functions like the auto dimming lights was a kinda cool discovery when I first opened the unit and saw the tubes . They had the "Guide" logo on them that you were discussing in your thread about your car . Congrats for it , BTW , I hope you get great service out of it .

And as to lubricating anything in these old car radios , I would do nothing without first speaking to the guy over at ARF who rebuilds classic car radios , I don't remember his name but he had an avatar of a 60's Tbird trunk full of old car radios ...
Tube based auto dimming lights...Wow that is really cool! The auto dimmer module on my Lincoln from the light sensor to the output, with the exception of user sensitivity control, is all SS and potted to keep prying mechanics fingers out of it. I've yet to verify whether that sensor module still works, but even if it does not I'm happy just to have the lights responding to foot switch properly as they now do. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy that wonderbar.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma