Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Vent on eBay Zenith

Came across this Zenith on eBay. It's listed as a "Porthole" but it's not. Sent the seller an email informing him of his mistake. Here was his reply: Thanks, but the only way I can change description with
sparedollar that I use to list my items is to stop
auction and redo it. I think I will let it go. Plus it
shows I really do not know about tv's. I think the seller is okay and probably doesn't know tv's BUT as I was thinking about it I thought "Well... you knew enough about them to use Porthole in your description" It annoys me because it's like when you come across 1950's & 1960's radios on eBay and they are listed as Bakelite or Catalin. It's like do they NOT think that the people who buys these know? Anyway... here's the set. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1 Also I was not aware that you couldn't easily change an eBay listing.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:54 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
It's called keyword spamming and is technically against ebay rules, but they don't seem to care. The most common form of this is a title like "Symphonic stereo NOT McIntosh Fisher, or Scott".

That spamming REALLY pees me off; think yourself lucky you're not a UK Ebay user who's hunting for Naim Hicaps at the right price; you get stuff along the lines of "Piece of plastic crap by Sanyo NOT Naim, Quad, Rega, Musical Fidelity" - it REALLY drives me nuts.

There are also still sellers who try to make you "Paypal - adds 3%" (or more) which is also against £pay's rules - but do they seem to give a toss? Nope.
Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
What would have followed if you had
Old 04-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Electronics Accumulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathkit tv
Very simple solution to that.....and you'll gladly buy me a bottle of Jack Daniels once I tell you:

After you type in whatever you are searching for, say "Zenith" (without the quotes of course) then type a space and the a minus sign along with whatever you want to filter out of the search.
Hehe - I've been doing that for quite a while now. But still sometimes the ads creep into other places, like the categories for vintage television, etc. And sometimes they don't bother to mention it's an ad in the auction title. But the magazine ads aren't the only misleading auction titles - they're just a good example. There are lots of things on eBay that tick me off. But that's another rant entirely.

How about a six pack of root beer instead? I don't drink. <grin>

-Ian
Old 04-13-2005, 01:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

A frustration I had with an auction I had up, I couldn't get the photo to load so I just put a note on there that the pic was coming. An hour later when I went to try again it had a bid already so ebay wouldn't take the pic. Had to put it on a photo hosting site & do the link, etc, etc. I can kinda understand why they do it that way but it is a pain sometimes. As for keyword spamming, that does get under ones skin & should require the old 40 lashes with a wet noodle. (not vermicelli, lasagna....)
Old 04-13-2005, 03:35 PM
heathkit tv

You CAN change ANYTHING in the auction listing UNTIL you get a bid and then you can only add to it. So this seller is trying to be cute by saying he can't change the title without cancelling and relisting the auction. I should know as I'm a PowerSmeller.

Anthony
Old 04-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Electronics Accumulator

While it's not against ebay rules, one thing that annoys the @$#% out of me is all the auctions like "1949 ZENITH ROUND PICTURE TUBE TV TELEVISION COLOR AD" which, of course, is a listing for a magazine ad. It's really annoying, since I've been trying to find a roundie on eBay that I can afford and is near me - but it's impossible to find some of these things, partly because eBay's search feature isn't all that great, and for whatever reason there are people listing every old magazine advert they can find.

Just my two cents.

-Ian
Old 04-14-2005, 04:00 AM
heathkit tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroHacker
While it's not against ebay rules, one thing that annoys the @$#% out of me is all the auctions like "1949 ZENITH ROUND PICTURE TUBE TV TELEVISION COLOR AD" which, of course, is a listing for a magazine ad. It's really annoying, since I've been trying to find a roundie on eBay that I can afford and is near me - but it's impossible to find some of these things, partly because eBay's search feature isn't all that great, and for whatever reason there are people listing every old magazine advert they can find.

Just my two cents.

-Ian
Very simple solution to that.....and you'll gladly buy me a bottle of Jack Daniels once I tell you:

After you type in whatever you are searching for, say "Zenith" (without the quotes of course) then type a space and the a minus sign along with whatever you want to filter out of the search. Example:

Zenith -ad -book -sign -albatross -wet pile of shit

etc etc etc

This works with any eBay searches and often with other sites such as Google etc. Try it, and once you can again retain the glee which will temporarily overwhelm you, then PM me and I'll give you my address to mail that jug of hooch to.

Anthony
Old 04-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Administrator

For some reason eBay has two areas for vintage TV sets, they are:

http://electronics.listings.ebay.com...istingItemList

http://collectibles.listings.ebay.co...istingItemList

Most listings wind up under one or both of these however I have found a few good deals by searching with specific keywords like antique tv or vintage tv set. People will sometimes list a tv under the antique furniture heading.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:31 AM
hotrod54chevy

i messaged the 1st dude and told him he had a bugeye zenith,not a porthole..i know he doesnt care,but it made me feel better :P
frank
Audiokarma
Old 04-15-2005, 12:20 AM
heathkit tv

That buck toothed weasel seller hasn't yet responded to my message telling him that that set is not a porthole, and informing him that he can indeed change the title etc. What a sniveling fembot!
Old 04-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Just looked at listing, and he changed it. First time I heard it called that, but, it does look like an ugly bug, don't it?
Old 04-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Administrator

That's obviously a 1940 Eames era, porthole console tub TV with a bad chord. It works but there was no sound or picture. Great collectible or make a fishtank out of it!

:rofl:
Old 04-17-2005, 11:00 PM
heathkit tv

You sure it's not a 70's Art Deco model? :-p Idjit sellers!