Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Newcomb RC12 automatic classroom record player

Here's something you don't see everyday - a Newcomb classroom record player with an automatic record changer. This one is a model RC12, looks to be from the early '50's, uses a 3-speed Webster-Chicago record changer, and uses a 3-tube (6V6, 6SQ7, and 6X4) amp that drives a 6"X9" speaker. As best I can tell, this was once property of Roosevelt High School in St. Louis. This one looks a little rough; but, I think it's worth restoring and the chances of me finding another one is slim.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like the speaker slipped off the mounts or it isn't the original one.
the thing probably hasn't been used for a long time.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

NOT what I expected to see !! NICE, cold amp chassis, with what looks like 6V6 or maybe 6K6..
Old 02-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Turntable looks to be identical to the one in a TravLer record player AM radio combo I grew up with that my parents had in the '50s-60s .

Yours appears to be missing the rubber stylus needle guard, just the two holes there where it would go.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg trav-ler-recplayer2.jpg (68.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-17-2016, 08:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, the amp uses a 6V6 output tube. After looking at date codes, this one appears to be from 1951. As far as capacitors, the only ones that needed replacing was a severely leaky .047 uf bumblebomb that was connected in parallel with the turntable motor and the four section filter can. Everything else is ceramic disc. The person I got this from said that he'd plugged it in and when I checked it, the fuse was blown. After checking the filter capacitors, all sections were very leaky and that's probably what blew the fuse. As far as resistors, only two were out of tolerance (a 220 ohm cathode bypass resistor on the output tube and a 220 ohm resistor in the power supply). I fed a CD player into the amp and it sounds nice.

The speaker had only slipped out of it's mounts and I think it's original.

The Webster changer uses a near dead Astatic 40TB crystal cartridge and that will be replaced with a modern stereo ceramic cartridge wired for mono.

This changer uses 3 turrets that are rock hard and an idler wheel that is not far behind; so, this is not going to be a cheap rebuild. This is the type of set that, back in the day, a serviceman would have simply tossed the old changer and installed a VM or BSR. In some cases, I might even do that today; but, this is a rare bird and I'd like to keep it original.
Audiokarma
Old 02-23-2016, 05:21 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

In that era, Newcomb built some normal marketed tabletop phonos, HiFi amplifiers, and a few HiFi tape recorders as well as the school phonos.