Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Things People Throw Away

Isn't it amazing the things people throw away. Especially when it is also for sale on craigslist.

wichita.craigslist.org/ele/3667197560.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3G63oe3Hc5Gf5Hd5Jdd38d2b1fc7b0eaa1cd0.jpg (40.1 KB, 304 views)
Old 03-31-2013, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Of course its a Magnavox.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Waste of a Good TV

Look at what someone threw out in the carport. Must have got a new flat screen for Christmas. 299 at walmart. I was told to pick it up. Where not even at home and a rain storm was coming.

Curtis Mathes M2662RH, was 1600 in 1986.
Filthy when i got it and paint spots. Dusted it off.
Plugged it in.
Look at it now. Even has a working radio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv2.jpg (35.9 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 1986 Curtis Mathes.jpg (66.8 KB, 276 views)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Am i the only one finding things in the trash where i thought i would never see them?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I've saved a number of sets out of the trash, watching one of them now, big, great color picture.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma
Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was out trying out the new transmission in my car, when I came across a nice looking 36" BPC JVC TV with the remote sitting on top. For some unknown reason, I stopped and picked it up. Took it home.

I opened it up, and it looks like brand new inside. No dirt or dust of any kind. I re-soldered the flyback, and the typical problem areas, just in case, and fired it up. Perfect picture/sound. Twin tuners, and picture in picture. Brand new in 1995.

Beside where it was sitting was a brand new flatscreen box. I knew the rest of the story.

This is my first 36" TV, ever. I'm sure glad that I had a friend riding with me to help pick it up... if it had not worked, he would have taken it for the copper in the yoke.

Last edited by holmesuser01; 05-24-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:29 AM
I need more vintage!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I opened it up, and it looks like brand new inside. No dirt or dust of any kind. I re-soldered the flyback, and the typical problem areas, just in case, and fired it up. Perfect picture/sound. Twin tuners, and picture in picture. Brand new in 1995.

Beside where it was sitting was a brand new flatscreen box. I knew the rest of the story.
Argh! Why can't people be happy with what they already have? I don't replace something until it's BROKEN!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance88 View Post
Argh! Why can't people be happy with what they already have? I don't replace something until it's BROKEN!
Well, there are several valid answers to that.

1. People want a wide-screen high definition TV to be able to view BluRay and High Definition cable, satellite and cable programming at its best.

2. People need a TV that will tune current over-the-air digital material.

3. People don't want to have to carry such heavy TV in for service, assuming there is local service still available.

4. People want a TV that can display 3-D content.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM
<----Zenith C845

I blame at least some of this on the DTV transition. The early announcements that digital TV would eventually take over from NTSC television ("Your old TV will go black after February 17 [later June 19], 2009") had people believing that their old TVs would not work, period, once the new standards took effect. This was before DTV converter boxes came on the market; in those days, the only way to continue watching TV when the analog stations went off the air was to get a flat screen. Those sets were extremely expensive in the beginning, so not everyone had one or could afford one immediately following the transition. Some people even went without TV when they found out their old sets wouldn't work anymore with the new digital signals; of course, in many cases the old TV went out for the trash.

There were many predictions made to the effect that people would throw out their old TVs as soon as the transition was announced. I had visions of televisions, most of which were still working perfectly well, showing up on tree lawns and curbs all across the United States, after this announcement was made. Didn't see any old sets out for the trash in my own neighborhood, a very small town 35 miles east of Cleveland, but I bet in the greater Cleveland area perfectly good, working TVs were put out one after another. These people probably did not realize that the analog stations would remain on the air for at least a year after the transition.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-06-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-06-2013, 04:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

i don't think they should have shut the analog signal off for at least ten years. I think it was the tv industries way of making everyone start over. The signals are not that good, i live in a rural area and we only get a few channels. Had to go to satellite. Which cost money of course. Now you have all these tvs that are useless unless you buy an expensive converter. Makes small portables obsolete.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Learning as I go

I know around here the signal was horrible when they first switched but after awhile some of the stations increased their power and moved back to VHF so it's not too hard to get Chanel's anymore
Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here in the Western NC mountains, the signal has to be perfect, or I get lots of pixels and jerky sound. I'm stuck with it for now. Can't do anything else.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

40xbr800

Look at what someone threw out a year ago. Took me that long to find all the parts for The D board or power board. His wife bought a flat screen and just wanted it out if the house. Its a Sony KV40XBR800. Cost him 4000 new in 2002.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo on 2013-04-11 at 23.43 #2.jpg (62.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Photo on 2013-04-11 at 23.43 #3.jpg (55.6 KB, 125 views)
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel View Post
I know around here the signal was horrible when they first switched but after awhile some of the stations increased their power and moved back to VHF so it's not too hard to get Chanel's anymore
I don't think they went back to VHF.
I do think, they increased their power.
Audiokarma