Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM
The lead ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I've got a 27" Sony set that got hit by lightning when it was just out of warranty. The chassis was ruined. I stored the set in my garage for 21 years, until my 27" Sony EXR set CRT went weak. I swapped out the CRT's and now, I have a brand-new looking Sony that is 22 years old!
Interesting. How old are the sets themsevles?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Beauvex View Post
Interesting. How old are the sets themsevles?
The EXR set was built in 1991, and the lightning damaged set was built in 1993. The two CRT's just happened to be identical... right down to the yokes. I swapped them out, and only had to lightly touch up the convergence. Looking good!!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I've got a 27" Sony set that got hit by lightning
Speaking of Sony, saw an article in the paper last week that Sony isn't making a profit on their electronics anymore, and might sell that division off. If Mitsubishi buys them, I hope they don't call the new operation "Son-of-abitchi"... (Running, ducking for cover...)
Old 06-01-2013, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Speaking of Sony, saw an article in the paper last week that Sony isn't making a profit on their electronics anymore, and might sell that division off. If Mitsubishi buys them, I hope they don't call the new operation "Son-of-abitchi"... (Running, ducking for cover...)
I can remember when Sony was the hot-stuff with the trinitron line. It took a few years, but the other manufacturers finally caught up with them.

Sony did the same thing with SDDS digital movie theatre sound systems. They weren't making the monster profits they thought they should, so they dropped the system flat, leaving owners of the SDDS systems to fend for themselves.

Right now, Sony is building the digital theatre systems that is helping to wipe out 35mm film in theatres. The first generation digital projectors are already out of date, and don't like updates. I'm sure Sony will drop them flat, too, one day.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01
Right now, Sony is building the digital theatre systems that is helping to wipe out 35mm film in theatres.
Yes and i think its sad...... DIGITAL VIDEO/AUDIO does not look as good as analogue does in my opinion...

I will not goto a theater anymore because of this.... (1 reason anyway)
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
You gave me my big laugh of the day!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Very nice!!

Im proud of you for not getting rid of the 1993 unit!!!

I hope ya have many more fine years with that sony bud
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 AM
electronics packrat

My CTC-15 was a curbside find. It has worked fine for 6 years now. All I needed to do when I got it was clean the cabinet up a bit.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Excellent....... I hope she continues to shine
Old 06-01-2013, 12:27 PM
creepingnet

The only reason I did not take the rear projection Big Screen my neighbor was giving away years ago was because I could not play static screen video games on it (Tetris, Pac-Man, Pong....the like).

I'm finding, the older I get, the less I want to replace the stuff I have. I spent all of my 20's living off of people's "old junk" that was often 15+ years old and still worked like new (My Mitsubishi CS1984R 20"console and my portable Daytron Dt-505 B&W set being two of them), all of that "old junk" still works and functions (well...except the Mistu, but I'm fixing that). When I go out to buy something new, I always look it over for build quality, and 9 times out of 10, it NEVER passes. Either the plastic is too weak, or I find out it develops a problem after awhile due to poor design choices, or that I can already grab one at Goodwill used for $10.00.

People tend to also throw away things with minor to practically pointless problems. I found an Epiphone Les Paul guitar in the trash! All that was wrong with it? A hole between the volume and tone controls with a rock glued onto it.....that and someone poured beer down the body. My friend was about to chuck his 3.5HP Craftsman mower as goodwill would not take it, I got it and found all was wrong was the carburetor jet was clogged with varnished gas. Just tore down a quarter of a lot full of 2 foot tall foilage with it yesterday. It feels sometimes that I could live comfortably posession-wise from dumpster diving and thrift shops.
Audiokarma
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM
The lead ear.

I've always wondered why you couldn't play video games on a CRT projection set when a regular CRT was apparantly ok.

I use to find great dumpster stuff all the time, but not so much these days.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:43 PM
creepingnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Beauvex View Post
I've always wondered why you couldn't play video games on a CRT projection set when a regular CRT was apparantly ok.
It's because the picture tubes in a rear projection TV require a much more powerful electron beam than on a standard TV from what I understand.

A friend of mine has a horror story about the time they hooked up the 8-bit Nintendo to a Projection Big Screen and got in big trouble with daddy because the Super Mario Bros. scoreboard was permanently etched into the top and totally visible during the Superbowl right after.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Mike View Post
It's because the picture tubes in a rear projection TV require a much more powerful electron beam than on a standard TV from what I understand.

A friend of mine has a horror story about the time they hooked up the 8-bit Nintendo to a Projection Big Screen and got in big trouble with daddy because the Super Mario Bros. scoreboard was permanently etched into the top and totally visible during the Superbowl right after.
I had luck at one point, with inputing a white screen on a rear projection set with very faint burns in the screen from a game. I let it run with the white screen for about 5 hours, and eventually, the burn marks went away. This worked 3 times out of 10 for me. Depended on the maker of the CRT's. and how severe the burns were. I used to hate replacing CRT's on those big sets.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found a theater that uses 70 millimeter film. They thought that they could make us all buy a plastic picture frame and hang it on the wall.Till it fell off anyway. The world has become a very greedy place.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

You guys want to know what I really think?
Digitization of old programme material is bullshit, pure and simple.
1. If it was digital in its original form. then it is fine to display that 'sampled' content in the digital realm.
2. Any content originally recorded in the analogue realm, shall persist in that realm, whether the corporations like it or not.

It is up to the VTR/tape/vidicon camera/CRT guys to maintain a healthy library of " REAL " content.
Same goes for HIFI Audio...
digital will never suffice versus grooved media and magnetic tape.

If I truly appreciated PCM audio and DVD video at first, I would NEVER want to be in the a/v community today.
Thanks,
zenith2134.
Audiokarma