Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

TMK / Toyomenka Inc.

Hi;
I just bought a couple of portable TV sets.
A color TMK:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TMK-Toyomenk...p2047675.l2557

Which I can find no info on, and a B/W Sony TV-415:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SONY...p2047675.l2557

I have ordered the service manual for the Sony.

Does anyone have any info on TMK?
I do not know the model number yet.

Thanks
Mick M
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had one of those color TMK sets at one time, 20-some years ago. I think I got 15 bucks for it when I sold it. Mine had a bad focus pot. I took one out of an old RCA (CTC68-ish vintage) and that, combined with a blob of RTV and a bunch of 10meg resistors got the focus back. It had a decent picture IIRC.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have one of those TMK sets. It maybe the one I paid 99 cents for...Big deal, it plays fine. The little Sony, IIRC, has a "Zoom" feature on it. A gimmick, but something to sell 4" TVs with back in the day..
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi;
from what I can gather TMK did not make electronics.
They were an importer:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_herst...mpany_id=11942

So who actually made the set?

I like the early 1980's "Tech War" sets, when things were made by Engineers, not bean counters.

The LCD sets do nothing for me, CRTs rule!
I also have a Panasonic CT-1110D and a Hitachi CK290, both color.

We have a Dynex plasma set, ALL the old sets have a better tuner!!
The Dynex barely picks up a signal, tried 3 antennas.
Even the cheap Chinese generic 5" B/W portable is better.

What would you guys recommend for a really small color set?
What was the smalest Trinitron set?

Mick M
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The smallest Sonys were the KV-4000 series, they had 3.7" CRTs.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
The little Sony 5100 Trinitron has a nice little 5" picture, but I always feel it's a bit too contrasty. My best small color picture in the house right now is from a NOT very small unit. The JVC 500U "briefcase" thing actually has about the best realistic 5" color picture right now. To be fair though, I have not ever been inside the little Sony 5100 yet. Maybe it could use a good dialing in of the screen and driver pots.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have two Toyomenka portable VCR's. I don't know if they are still around but were very helpful in keeping the two going. The transports look like Sharp made them.
Toyomenka Light Machine company was the name I got to know.
TMK.
Still running today!
Never saw one of their tv's
Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have the 5.5 inch TMK color set which I purchased new from Kmart in 1985.
I think the model number was 755 which is the younger brother of the 750C I think.

Kmart was great carrying TVs at the time They also had the Unisonic collection there too.

I had the same problem with the focus control burned out.I was lucky to get a new one from TMK since it fried 2 years after I got the set.

Since the shop I was working part time was an authorize service center for TMK I got the the focus pot and a copy of the schematics through them.

The set still works today and it has probably 1000 hours on it because it was used as a VCR monitor for years.

The set looked like the photo below except mine is silver faced.Not my set.Web photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m-QlLdMtaq6OwUhU5Me3gCA.jpg (6.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by centralradio; 03-18-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I also have a silver face TMK 755. When I first got it I had to cycle power on/off to get it to fire up, now it's dead. I opened it up to work on it; it's a pain to take apart. It has an Orion picture tube and flyback.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm1200 View Post
I also have a silver face TMK 755. When I first got it I had to cycle power on/off to get it to fire up, now it's dead. I opened it up to work on it; it's a pain to take apart. It has an Orion picture tube and flyback.
Check for bad caps and check the focus pot.They had a habit on blowing focus pots.I got the schema/service manual somewhere around here.
Audiokarma
Old 10-12-2016, 07:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Check for bad caps and check the focus pot.They had a habit on blowing focus pots.I got the schema/service manual somewhere around here.
Thanks! I tacked a wire onto the regulator output to put a meter on it and of course it fired right up. Focus is good and there are no obviously bulging/leaking caps. So I went over the boards and reflowed any dodgy-looking solder joints. Took a while to figure out how it went back together but I got it - and it's still powering right up.

More Nudies here!!!

One interesting thing is there is an obvious knockout for a SCART connector above the RCA jacks; the UL label covers it on the back:

There's also room for another pushbutton next to the AFT button, and round antenna connector options under the location of the 300-ohm antenna terminals. It would be interesting to see if the same cabinet was used for PAL/SECAM sets for other markets. And if so, under what brand(s)?
Old 10-14-2016, 04:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm1200 View Post
Thanks! I tacked a wire onto the regulator output to put a meter on it and of course it fired right up. Focus is good and there are no obviously bulging/leaking caps. So I went over the boards and reflowed any dodgy-looking solder joints. Took a while to figure out how it went back together but I got it - and it's still powering right up.

More Nudies here!!!

One interesting thing is there is an obvious knockout for a SCART connector above the RCA jacks; the UL label covers it on the back:

There's also room for another pushbutton next to the AFT button, and round antenna connector options under the location of the 300-ohm antenna terminals. It would be interesting to see if the same cabinet was used for PAL/SECAM sets for other markets. And if so, under what brand(s)?
Great news .No Problem RPM.Thanks for the photos.It sure gives me memories working on them.I have to see if my set has the SCART knockout.