Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Jerome - I knew it could not work without the photocells, but I did not see them in the picture, and I did not realize that the black think in the lower right corner was the photocell unit. I do know about the small mirror on top of the enclosed viewfinder assembly.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
...GE 4CM3326X, a 4" color set-AM-FM-detachable microcassette stereo Box De Bume' from '82...
I have one of these! Found it on the curb in Flint, MI sans top cover. I needed to resolder the dc input jack, otherwise it's ok, great picture. The microcassette deck probably needs some work at this point.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi everyone,

I am very happy to announce that I have just acquired a WORKING Indextron in very good condition. This will be the bookend twin to the Indextron that I acquired last year that does not power on due to the fact that the main circuit board has a few damaged traces from 2 capacitors that leaked way back when. I do intend to repair this set, and do a complete recap job on both sets, when I can set aside some quality time to devote my complete attention to the job.

I decided to power up the set because the seller said that he was watching a movie on it just prior to posting it for sale, so if any damage was done, it would have been done at that time. The picture is excellent - I have posted some screen shots, but I had trouble getting nice clear pictures.

I am not going to use the set anymore until I can open it up to see if there are any issues with the capacitors, but there is no ammonia or capacitor oil smell coming out of the vents.

I also think that I am going to replace the old style transformer power supplies with new style switching power supplies like the ones used for LCD monitors because it will give the set cleaner power.

I also would like to thank Jerome Halphen for all his help - very much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_3811.jpg (22.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 101B3841.jpg (22.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 101B3951.jpg (22.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 101B3971.jpg (24.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 101B4020.jpg (23.4 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

You need to sell/give/let me "borrow" the one that don't work...(grin)
Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice score!
These are really cute little sets!
jr
Audiokarma
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sandy G - Me thinks not.

jr tech - Thanks. Did you get your viewfinder?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtfool View Post
Sandy G - Me thinks not.

Hasn't arrived yet... I think that it shipped parcel post... hope to see it soon.
jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 07-19-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Sandy G - Me thinks not.

YES! Thanks to a "heads up" from crtfool, I have a beam index color CRT for my collection. It is from a viewfinder to a RCA CKC021 color camera that was sold (cheap) on eBay. The camera went to Goodwill, but the viewfinder is working fine on my bench.
After applying 12V and a video signal, it produced a fairly decent picture...not bad for a color CRT with a face the size of a postage stamp! (about 1.5" diag.)
It is difficult to photograph with a simple camera, but here are the best so far.
Interesting CRT, I will disassemble (the housing) and take pictures of the gun structure and yoke later.
jr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0896.jpg (90.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0906.jpg (57.5 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by jr_tech; 07-28-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: add "(the housing)", I am not taking the tube apart! CKC!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:22 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah-My Panasonic CT-101 has a very good pic on it, & its only 1.5" too...But I think they had a std, albeit very small, CRT design. I ordered that Bad Boi out special from the local hdware store in '84-Boy, did I get the Fish Eye..."Why do you want that tiny little thing ?!? For $350, I could gitchoo a TOTL 19" set...Maybe even a 23"...." Philistines....(grin)
Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some more pix of the tiny beam index color CRT (Hitachi H6289) used in the RCA CKC021 viewfinder.
The actual screen size measures about 1.3" diag. The CRT is about 5.3" long. Two mirrors are contained in the assembly... the first at 45 degrees in front of the tube to direct the image to the viewer, and another above the tube (seen in the top part of the shell) to direct more light to the 2 indexing photocells (seen in the bottom of the case, below the mirror).
I assume that the small metal box behind the mirror contains an amplifier for the photocell signal.
jr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0908.jpg (85.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0910.jpg (94.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0911.jpg (83.3 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by jr_tech; 07-28-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: RCA camera is actually CKC021 not CK021!
Audiokarma
Old 07-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Convergence freak!

That is really cool!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi jr - glad to see that you got the viewfinder, and that it is in good working order. They are definitely fun to play with - there are several adjustments on the boards to adjust the picture quality, just like a real TV. You are correct in your assumption that the box behind the mirror is for the photocells.

"Reason: add "(the housing)", I am not taking the tube apart!" - When I was young, I used to literally "take apart" picture tubes to see what was inside, and how the gun worked. I never did find the lens and prism that they always showed in the diagrams of how the picture tubes worked - very disappointing, but then I had no clue that they meant "ELECTRONIC" lenses and prisms - not physical ones - what did I know - I was STUPID enough to bust open picture tubes then! I even handed in an electron gun from a very old B&W CRT with my report on CCTV for my Mass Media class in high school - got an A because of it.

Have fun with your toy!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
"Reason: add "(the housing)", I am not taking the tube apart!" - When I was young, I used to literally "take apart" picture tubes to see what was inside, and how the gun worked. I never did find the lens and prism that they always showed in the diagrams of how the picture tubes worked - very disappointing, but then I had no clue that they meant "ELECTRONIC" lenses and prisms - not physical ones - what did I know - I was STUPID enough to bust open picture tubes then! I even handed in an electron gun from a very old B&W CRT with my report on CCTV for my Mass Media class in high school - got an A because of it.

Have fun with your toy!
Indeed, I did not want to give the impression that I was going to take the CRT apart... although I would love to find out what sort of design they used for the heater... low power Sony CRTs use a directly heated cathode which consumes only 1/4 watt (180mW on some models). I suspect that the engineers at Hitachi might have come up with a similar low power heater/cathode assembly, since the whole idea of using the beam index CRT in the first place, was to save power.

You handed in an electron gun? man, I am surprised that you did not get kicked out of school for bringing in a gun.

I am indeed having fun with this little monitor assembly... tonight I may rig it up as a crude projector, to project a dim image on the bedroom ceiling! Years ago, I used the Panasonic TR-1010 and a 50mm F1.4 Nikkor lens to produce a fairly respectable image for late night viewing*.

* I had to reverse the yoke leads to get the picture correct...I was concerned about doing this with the beam index tube (bet that would really mess up the color), but since it is normally viewed through a mirror, the scan is already reversed.
jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 07-28-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

"You handed in an electron gun? man, I am surprised that you did not get kicked out of school for bringing in a gun." - HEY, it was the 70's - the criminals didn't bring guns, they carried knives!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi JrTech,

Welcome! to the "Mini-Beam Index Club", other members already include John FolsomJr, myself, and a few others.

If you want it, i have scanned the service data for the RCA CKC-021 Beam-Index VF sub-assembly - includes schematics and alignment data.

Just holler if you & others want it - give Mail address please, too big to post direct on VK.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Audiokarma