Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:27 PM
David Thomas

National NC98

Picked this up from a CL ad the other day. The filter cap's had already been replaced, so I only had to replace the paper cap's. It worked fairly well, but after replacing a couple of resistors that had drifted way up in value, and a good alignment touch-up, this old girl performs really well.

I removed the chassis and knobs, and used automobile compound on the cabinet, followed by polish, and then a couple good coats of wax with an electric buffer. The cabinet turned out really slick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NC98.jpg (117.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:39 PM
M is for Memory

It looks great. ........But it would look so much better right side up.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-18-2016, 03:56 PM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It looks great. ........But it would look so much better right side up.
It sure would, I just couldn't figure out how to do it.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:56 PM
M is for Memory

Perhaps put the photo on a PC, open it with a windows photo/image viewing program, press the program's rotate button till it's right side up, save it, and upload that...It has worked for me. You could also get a free image hosting account and copy-paste the [IMG] code from there into your posts like I do (hosting sites have nice easy image editing tools).

Your national is reminding me that I need to get back to my national HRO-50 restoration...I recapped it and let it sit. It needs so much more cosmetically and electrically....I'm going to have to remember the car polish trick. I have that stuff around for my car, but never thought to try it on anything else.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-18-2016, 06:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here she is...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg NC98.jpg (118.9 KB, 28 views)
Audiokarma
Old 10-19-2016, 09:07 AM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscojim View Post
here she is...

thank you, sir!
Old 10-19-2016, 11:08 AM
David Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Your national is reminding me that I need to get back to my national HRO-50 restoration...I recapped it and let it sit. It needs so much more cosmetically and electrically....I'm going to have to remember the car polish trick. I have that stuff around for my car, but never thought to try it on anything else.
Metal cabinets like National and Hallicrafters used can be brought back to life again with a little effort. I used turtle wax compound to clean up the cabinet, then a little polish followed by a wipe down with a clean rag to bring back the shine, and then a good, solid coat of pure carnauba wax to protect it. It now has that "wet look"

The trick is to use a small electric orbital buffer (less than $30 @ Harbor Freight) to do the work. I used very little pressure, and let the machine do the work. That way, there was no damage to the lettering.

Electrically, this radio needed minimal work. After finding a 10 meg resistor that had drifted up past 13 meg, I ended up checking every one and found a couple others that were out of spec. Using the instructions from the Sams Photofact, I done a complete alignment job. While it doesn't perform like my Hallicrafters SX62, the NC98 is a pretty hot receiver. The AM band performance is amazing, and the crystal-controlled adjustable selectivity feature works great (while having a minimal effect on sensitivity).
Old 10-19-2016, 11:12 AM
David Thomas

On the knobs, I used Appliance Cleaner/Wax spray from Fuller Brush Co. The band switch knob is dull and discolored, so I'd guess it's not original. I may run up on a replacement for that someday....everything else looks so good that knob kind of stands out.