Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:32 AM
AK Member

Anybody have a Nordmende radio??

I have a chance to get a Nordmende Luxus C radio. Anybody know about these?? Not a value so much as build quality. Thanks
Juicy Music Peach, McIntosh MX-117
1954 and 1956 Khorns
Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

i have a Nordmende Parsifal and the build quality is as good as Telefunken or Grundig but I like the sound of my Nordmende best. I don't own any Saba radios yet, so i can't say about them. but i hear they are the best. Logan
Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

IIRC, that is a nice one...If its not too expensive or in too bad a shape, I'd go for it ! Those German table sets, for the most part are all pretty much "sure bets" from what I've seen...The only thing you gotta watch is if they have the old European FM band-it stops at 100 Mcs. And the voltage might be 220-but if its here in the States, that ought not be a problem.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've had a number of German sets, and have parted many of them out, but the ones I kept are all Nordemende. 2 are transistor multiband sets, good performers. The other is a large table model. Good sounding radio and seems to be built well, though I haven't dug into it. It's not working as we speak but I think it's just dirty switchgear. One thing is for certain: those German sets may all look the same but they were not all built the same.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Smooth Jazzer

I've got a Nordmende/Tannhauser Sterling I've had for around 20 years. It still fires up but could probably use a good going over by someone familiar with ancient German HiFi's of the late 50's early 60's.

It sure is a beautiful set though. Maybe someday when I have some spare cash to throw at her, I'll restore it.
Audiokarma
Old 11-15-2007, 12:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Nordmende Kadette AM/FM/SW tube type table radio. It works great!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:34 PM
DTV blows

Somewhere in the basement I have a Nordmende AM/FM/MB (1.6-4MHz) transistor portable from the mid-60's that was rebranded as a Masterworks. A couple spritzes of contact cleaner and it played again like new.
Tom
Old 11-16-2007, 08:36 PM
AK Member

I have Nordmende Turandot in my office from about 1958/59. I could only find the chassis shot which shows this small table radio has three count em three tweeters

This model has a couple of extra buttons that activate the tweeters in differing ways called 'Presence' and 'Brilliance'. I usually have it on low in the office and the extra high end emphasis is great.

Looking on radio museum your model was made between 1957-63, has five tubes and puts out about 3watts.

The only thing I noticed with this vintage of Normendes is they started using sections of circuit board on the chassis rather than a solid steel chassis deck. A way to save money I guess. As you get into the sixties the models started incorporating ceramic capacitors and diodes in areas that they weren't used in the fifties.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

I am now the proud owner of a Turandot C. Paid $15 for her and it is in very nice cosmetic condition and plays. Did bring it up slowly on a variac but plan on recapping it. Any idea of what year it was made? What kind of Tuning Eye tube used? Thanks for a wonderful thread.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:41 AM
Banned

I have a Phillips Philips L6X38T/02 one of my favorites FWIR Normandy had and identical model of course made by phillips good radio loud clear sound decent reception excellent build .

click on thumbnail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UT64.jpg (46.2 KB, 13 views)
Audiokarma
Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Motorola Minion

I too have a Nordmende Turandot C (without the tweeter switching) buttons and a standard Turandot that Jeffsod has. They are true sounding radios that seemed to be marketed to those spoiled by the equally sweet sound of a Zenith.

I did have a Nordmende Elecktra that worked great until the FM crapped out. I changed the tube, checked the B+ and finally injected a sweep signal that cleared the IF stages. I was not about to open up that tuner box and move anything, so I gave it to a friend who's mom had the same model in their kitchen. He uses it for SW now.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Console Conservationist

Normende exported some very nice consoles back in the early 60s:

Old 11-05-2011, 06:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Nordmende and it's a terrific radio on AM, FM, and short wave. I had to replace one tube and a filter capacitor when I got it. Dial calibration is almost perfect on all bands. My only complaint is the tiny dial numbers. The Nordmende plant was used to build Focke-Wulf fighters during the war.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a transistor Nordmende Transita de Luxe circa 1963.

Bought at a flea market in Fribourg, Switzerland about 12 years ago. Nice build quality. I just popped in some batteries, and it works great.

I like these old-school transistors, with the thin plywood case more reminiscent of a tube portable.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html