Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:22 PM
AK Member

My Opus Telefunken 6

Hi:

I recently inherited this radio from my grandfather and thought you guys might like to see it. It is in very good condition. Many of the pictures of this radio I see on the net have discolored fabric, but this is perfect. I think because my grandparents didn't smoke, as was common back in the day. How does it sound? Fantastic! This radio also has sentimental value to me because I spend a lot of time with my grandparents back in the early 80's and he always listed to this radio in the kitchen. I feel very lucky to have it.

I'm still learning how the SW feature works. Seems you have to use two different dials to change the stations and then fine tune the reception?

One technical question. When I turn it off or switch bands, a pop sound occurs. Don't know if this is cause for concern or if that is normal.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:21 AM
Lambda Acoustics!!!

that is an awesome looking unit...congrats!

Mono: Fisher 500 mono rec. w/EVRegency III, Stereo: Technics SP-10 TT, McIntosh MR-55, Pilot SA-232, JBL L-96, Pilot SA-210 pre.
In reserve: EV12trxb, EV15trx
Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM
A proud member of AK

Nice piece.

I could be wrong, but a good cleaning of the switch contacts with deoxit may get rid of some of the pops.

Joe
Old 04-26-2006, 10:25 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

That is in fantastic condition! THe only other Opus I've seen in that kind of condition still had a missing back and the FM didn't work. You even have the manual and schematic.

CLeaning the switch contacts on these does help alot. If you are going to put it into daily use, I would recomend replacing the capacitors. Over time they dry up and drift off value. You'll be amazed how good it sounds after you do.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Shaken, not stirred

Stunning

That's beautiful...just breathtaking dcbullet. Twist the knife why don'tcha? :-)

I agree with cleaning the contacts on the volume and band-selector pots, but don't forget to wipe the dirty cleaner up right away after it flows out; that nasty stuff can stain a otherwise clean chassis. And although there are many talented do-it-yourself-er's here, I'd send the radio off to a qualified repairman for a thorough service and upgrade. I'd contact (moderator) Chad Hauris or Sandy G for tips on getting it where it needs to be.

Whatever you do, DON'T barf up that beautiful radio! That one needs to be preserved-
Audiokarma
Old 04-26-2006, 01:20 PM
AK Member

Thanks for the encouragement! I do feel lucky to have such a nice piece of history as well as an object which brings memories of my relationship to my grandparents.

I should perhaps be more clear. The pops do not occur when twisting the dials, there is no "scratchy" sounds or anything with their operation. It is when I press the buttons, either the off button, or press the buttons to change the band from FM to AM or SW that the pop occurs.

Last edited by dcbullet; 04-26-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:49 PM
A proud member of AK

It would still be a good idea to use deoxit on the volume and control knobs as well as the pwr/function switches. Do not spray the tuner gangs, though.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:15 PM
We are all steak

That is a beautiful Opus. I take it you are turning the volume to its lowest setting when you change bands or tun it off? My Tele pops if I don't turn the volume down.

Bull Pen: Quad II amps, TAD-60 amp, TAD-150 pre
Old 04-26-2006, 06:03 PM
AK Member

I have not been turning the volume down but will do so if that is standard operating procedure.

Bill
Old 05-12-2006, 12:26 PM
tuberadiofan

Beautiful! I acquired an Opus 6 on ebay a hile age. Had a local shop go through and replace/clean as needed. What a terrific radio. Great tuner and reception. A real gem and pleasure to own.
Audiokarma
Old 05-18-2006, 06:46 PM
AK Member

What a beautiful set!! It is definitely a keeper. I also have an Opus 6 and an Opus 8. My 8 needs a full restoration eletrically, does anyone know of a good shop near Cincinati. I hate to ship it with my UPS history........
Old 06-21-2006, 01:41 AM
I love old stuff

If you'll take a picture only with the scale and the keyes, I can give you a piece of information with how S.W. (K.W.) works!
The F.M. (U.K.W.) works on 88-108 Mhz or only in 87,5-100 MHz?
Old 11-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Immortality or Death!

Just noticed this thread. Based on the pictures, I also inherited the same unit from my grandfather. I still works and is in almost as good condition as that shown above. I have all of the original paper work including the owners manual. I will verify that it is the same model tonight.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:27 PM
AK Member

Question Opus.

I have the Opus 5430 which has detached speakers , sounds good and looks even better but it is in need of a ECC 808 or a 6KX8 tube which is hard to find , does your Opus use the same tube ?? Thanks , Gary .
Old 11-22-2006, 07:31 PM
AK Member

Question Opus

I have the Opus 5430 which has detached speakers ,sounds good and works Ok but needs a ECC-808 or a 6KX8 , does your unit use the same tube ? Thanks , Gary .
Audiokarma