Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:09 PM
AK Member

Alright so I put the diodes in, No issues. And booted it up. And once again was left with about 30 volts Then when the heaters finished heating it dropped.
I traced where the ac mains lines actually go and one goes to the damper tube base. But is not actually connected to the tube. Its connected to a sand resistor. Some one else mentioned it could have been this resistor.
I measured in this resistor at 25 ohms. Is this an average value for this type of resistor or is it wayy off?

The other mains goes to ground then the one of the new diodes I put in.
Also one side of the mains is hooked up to a small cap then travels to another larger cap. To ground again..I think
Old 09-11-2008, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusJones View Post
Alright so I put the diodes in, No issues. And booted it up. And once again was left with about 30 volts Then when the heaters finished heating it dropped.
I traced where the ac mains lines actually go and one goes to the damper tube base. But is not actually connected to the tube. Its connected to a sand resistor. Some one else mentioned it could have been this resistor.
I measured in this resistor at 25 ohms. Is this an average value for this type of resistor or is it wayy off?

Also one side of the mains is hooked up to a small cap then travels to another larger cap. To ground again..I think
25 ohms sound alright to me , I have a bit different westinghouse schematic , and there is a 7.5 ohm , them the cap , then the diode .
Does the resistor look burned , or have cracks in it ?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:59 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube TV View Post
25 ohms sound alright to me , I have a bit different westinghouse schematic , and there is a 7.5 ohm , them the cap , then the diode .
Does the resistor look burned , or have cracks in it ?
Yes I beleive i have a picture of it posted. It has a chip on one side. I'm not sure if its the kinda chip that affects performance But i'm hoping it might be.
I wouldn't say it looks burnt or anything else though.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusJones View Post
Its connected to a sand resistor. Some one else mentioned it could have been this resistor.
I measured in this resistor at 25 ohms. Is this an average value for this type of resistor or is it way off?

Those sand resistors are combination resistor and fuse. "Fuseistor". Most of these I've seen are on the order of 7 ohms. You should see a number printed on it, that number is usually the resistance.

The rectifier circuit sounds like a doubler. One of the mains (powerline) going to ground, the other mains line going to an electroytic capacitor. The other side of that cap has a diode, the other end (its anode) of which going to ground. And a 2nd diode, where the 1st diode connects to the cap, the other end (its cathode) of the 2nd diode feeds a second electroytic cap, the other end of ths cap goes to ground.

Selenium rectifiers usually had "+" marked on their cathodes, as if to say, "apply AC to the other end, and here you will get positive voltage".