Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Tinker

Capehart 3001B A4 series

I plugged in this set since the seller had. After a short while the partial raster faded away. I was suprised it even worked in the first place. The selenium rectifiers started to stink, so just turned off the set. It will need to be recapped and rectifiers replaced.
I found two litle brown painted copper boxes connected in line with the original power cord. One inside the set, the other outside. The inside one also has a 300 ohm twin line going into it. Has anyone ever seen this before? I was wondering if this may have been a motel set ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.jpg (96.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.jpg (77.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-004F.jpg (75.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-008F.jpg (87.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 03-18-2017, 03:08 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Reminds me of those AC line antennas..

SR
Old 03-18-2017, 11:49 PM
Workin' Late Again

Definitely looks like an antenna hookup to the AC line. If this was a motel set I wonder if there was ever such a thing as carrier current distribution for TV? I know they used it for college dorm radio station distribution.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:18 AM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Definitely looks like an antenna hookup to the AC line. If this was a motel set I wonder if there was ever such a thing as carrier current distribution for TV? I know they used it for college dorm radio station distribution.
You now Kevin, you maybe on to something. The set was found in a storage locker in Valparaiso, home of Valparaiso University. I remember now that you and boobtubeman mentioned it, seeing an article years ago about piggybacking television signals on power lines.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:31 AM
Tinker

I finally got around to recapping the Capehart, after a Zenith 23G22 combo and RCA 34b chassis sets. I opened those power line boxes for a look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-032S.JPG (37.7 KB, 53 views)
Audiokarma
Old 06-23-2018, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
I finally got around to recapping the Capehart, after a Zenith 23G22 combo and RCA 34b chassis sets. I opened those power line boxes for a look.
I've seen a few of those Capeharts and they all had one of those line filters. Maybe it was one of those selling gimmicks where "Our set filters out unwanted interference that may come through the power system".
The set itself looks like a GE clone.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:07 PM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I've seen a few of those Capeharts and they all had one of those line filters. Maybe it was one of those selling gimmicks where "Our set filters out unwanted interference that may come through the power system".
The set itself looks like a GE clone.
Interesting , This set could maybe use some more power line filtering. Half the set is hot chassis with a voltage doubler. The RF/IF section uses a power transformer and is half wave rectified. The filaments are split between 2 individual transformer filament secondary windings a the third is in series across the 120 VAC mains.
I had to replace the 300 ohm twin lead to the switched HI-LO band capacitor tuner. The set seems to pick-up/ interference , more so than any set I've repaired so far. Placement of the antenna lead almost seems critical.
This is the first old set I encountered with a DC coupled vertical oscillator.The connection is from triode 1's plate to triode 2's grid of a 6SN7.
The schematic is in Rider's 4-14 and and a similar schematic is in Sam's 99A-2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-017S.JPG (37.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-018S.JPG (38.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-023S.JPG (38.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-026S.JPG (36.2 KB, 32 views)