Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rca 6T54

Well looks like I picked up another set, I've never worked with metal cone CRT's before. (but free is free) Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole metal on the tube (16GP4) carries the HV, correct? Seemingly a little dangerous if you ask me. Anyways, assuming this tube has a life left in it, should I seal the tube with anything? I've heard that the metal-glass junctions are the weak point in any of these tubes.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, the whole cone will carry HV. Some sets had a plastic shield, but not all. It sure will command your respect! I've had at least a half dozen metal cone sets plus various spare tubes and I don't think any of them had gone to air.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thought I would post some photos since I was able to haul this behemoth onto my workbench. This thing is absolutely massive for a "tabletop" TV, most of the other 6Txx's I have seen were freestanding floor models.
I'm also happy to announce that the 16GP4 was coaxed back from the dead, now testing borderline good. I'm hopeful that this will produce a nice bright picture when it's completed. More to come soon

20180706_221657.jpg
20180706_223153.jpg
20180706_180902.jpg
20180706_215334.jpg
Old 07-06-2018, 11:30 PM
Tinker

Hi.
I recapped a RCA 6T65 last January. It uses the same chassis most likely, a 47A. The chassis was known to kill power transformers, deflection yokes, and horizontal flyback transformers. In order to get my set operational after the recapping, I ended up replacing the flyback and yoke. I had to replace the width control also. You may want to check the power transformer windings and flyback windings before you start your recap.
Ed
Old 07-07-2018, 11:41 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsuttle View Post
This thing is absolutely massive for a "tabletop" TV, most of the other 6Txx's I have seen were freestanding floor models.
I've seen a couple of those and your mistaken. They were not consoles, but rather all table models just like yours...There was a matching factory stand that was very popular (most sets seem to have it) which gave the illusion of it being a console.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 07-07-2018, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
You may want to check the power transformer windings and flyback windings before you start your recap.
Ed
I'm happy to report that the flyback, power transformer, and yoke all appear to check out. However, it seems that 80% of the capacitors in this were "replaced" in the 60's, though they are all just tack soldered onto the connections. (A few had broken off as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've seen a couple of those and your mistaken. They were not consoles, but rather all table models just like yours...There was a matching factory stand that was very popular (most sets seem to have it) which gave the illusion of it being a console.
I was referring to the other models in the 6TXX family. Correct me if I'm wrong but every other model (6T64, 6T65, 6T71, 6T74, 6T75, 6T76) was a console which shared most electronic components. I was just noting that this seems a little large for a tabletop model. I think she had the stand, but I free is free and I didn't want to ask.

It's intresting, almost every non RCA tube that had been replaced was bad and every RCA tube was good. I've never noticed that in sets, but do certain tubes tend to wear out faster than others?
Old 07-07-2018, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Glad you posted the pictures; I'm not good at remembering chassis numbers. I have one of these, special as it belonged to my great-grandparents. Outside of assuring the crt is good I've not touched it. It also has the separate stand.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:24 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsuttle View Post
I'm happy to report that the flyback, power transformer, and yoke all appear to check out. However, it seems that 80% of the capacitors in this were "replaced" in the 60's, though they are all just tack soldered onto the connections. (A few had broken off as well)

I was referring to the other models in the 6TXX family. Correct me if I'm wrong but every other model (6T64, 6T65, 6T71, 6T74, 6T75, 6T76) was a console which shared most electronic components. I was just noting that this seems a little large for a tabletop model. I think she had the stand, but I free is free and I didn't want to ask.

It's intresting, almost every non RCA tube that had been replaced was bad and every RCA tube was good. I've never noticed that in sets, but do certain tubes tend to wear out faster than others?
The non-RCA tubes were probably the failure prone types that would have been replaced during the service life of a set. It's very common to see a different horizontal output tube, different vertical output tube, different HV rectifier, different LV rectifiers, a different 6SN7 in the Synchro-Guide circuit, etc

Detector diodes, RF/IF pentodes, the oscillator and mixer in the tuner, etc, were all taxed much less in use and tended to last a much longer time in service. One of my 630 clones has what I believe to be all original tubes; except for the HOT and the HV rectifier.