Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Stuck in the past!

Disney acquires 20th century fox?

Man things just keep going downhill. Never could stand them. Then they ruin Star Wars, now this. Apparently they want to be the wal-mart of the movie industry. Makes me I'll thinking about it.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

People don't let people watch Disney. They are without honor!
Old 12-15-2017, 10:06 PM
The Resident Brony

http://www.funnyjunk.com/I+love+the+...f33408_6461531
Old 12-15-2017, 10:11 PM
Stuck in the past!

Lmao.
Old 12-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

I miss the Disney of old, I bet Walt is rolling in his grave. Come to think of it,since Disney owns ABC there could be a potential conflict of interest if they buy Fox too.
Audiokarma
Old 12-18-2017, 01:59 PM
<----Zenith C845

Disney is not all bad, even if it now owns a majority stake in 20th Century Fox. One Disney movie I've been meaning to watch for months, titled "Moana", is still running on Hulu; one of these days I'll get around to watching it, as my Roku player receives the Hulu channel (among others).

Times change all the time (no pun intended); we cannot expect anything, including TV networks, motion pictures, or anything else to remain the same forever. Television and motion picture content changes with the generations; what one generation likes, another, later one may think is garbage, and vice versa.

I don't think the ABC television network is all bad, either, even if Disney owns it; in fact, I think ABC-TV and CBS-TV, to say nothing of PBS, are head and shoulders above NBC-TV as far as program quality goes. NBC's programming minions could learn a few things from those networks if NBC wants to get out of the ratings dungeon it has been in now for some time. The way NBC is presently going, it is in a rut and may never again get the ratings it got during the 1970s, when the network was at the top of the heap. NBC used to run promotional announcements during the '70s, '80s and even the early '90s, in which it proudly proclaimed "NBC is the place to be!" and other proud slogans; who can forget, for example, NBC's "Proud as a Peacock" image campaign of the '80s?

I don't watch the broadcast networks any longer except for news, preferring instead to watch former NBC, ABC and CBS programs on MeTV, Antenna TV, GetTV and COZI, to say nothing of watching many of those shows on DVD and VHS (if I want to see them without commercials, or if I don't care to stay up until all hours of the night to watch them when the networks run them). These networks show TV the way it used to be; having grown up in the '70s, almost all of the shows I remember watching as a kid and as a younger man (I am now 61) are always on one of those networks at any given time. Two of my all-time favorites are Quincy, M. E. and Mannix; the former was on NBC from 1976 to 1984, while the latter was on CBS from 1967 to the mid-1970s. Both shows are still running in reruns on COZI and MeTV, and I have them on DVD as well. I still like NBC's mystery movies of the '70s, such as McMillan and Wife, McCloud, and Columbo; I bought the entire network runs of McMillan and Wife, The Streets of San Francisco, and Mannix on Amazon.com recently, as well as having several individual seasons of other shows such as Banacek, et al.

Man, they made better TV 45 years ago. With all these older shows now on the retro DTV subchannels of local TV stations and on DVD, I sometimes wonder--who needs the broadcast networks anymore?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-18-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
--who needs the broadcast networks anymore?
No kidding.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Superfluous and long past it's prime. What happened to quality local programming?
Old 12-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Analogue is Awesome

That went out in the 80s (When the world started to die)