Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 04:05 AM
I love old stuff

What does "sap" means?

I found few explinations for this word.
But there where W.W. 2 cartoons with the lyrics "You're a sap mister Jap" (Popeye sung that - I think that was the title of the cartoon) and in a other one a duck resembling Emperor Hirohito sayed "I'm nothing but a Japanese sap man" (cartoon: "Ducktators"). So what "sap" does mean in this context?
Old 11-21-2018, 06:37 AM
TV DXer...

Referring to a person as a sap means, I guess, "gullible loser".

Also, in the 80's "second audio program"...
Old 11-21-2018, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

"Sap" was a common phrase where/when I grew up. It meant idiot/gullible. There was also "sappy" which meant emotional/lovey dovey. I have no idea where the expression came from though,
Old 11-21-2018, 02:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

SAP Second Audio Program. Second language audio sub-channel.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

^^^ Yup.
Came aboard with stereo TV here in the states.
Audiokarma
Old 11-30-2018, 06:35 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a
SAP Second Audio Program. Second language audio sub-channel.
Or Seperate Audio Program
Old 12-01-2018, 06:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Or , what the OP was originally asking about ; "Sap" may indeed be the abbreviation of "Second Audio Program" or it could also even be "Satan's Alternative Plan" , but for the purposes of the OP's question "Sap" means a slow person , one who is gullible and easily conned ......
Old 12-01-2018, 10:06 AM
M is for Memory

In the context of this thread sap is a Rorschach test for whether respondants read just the title line or the first post/majority of posts before popping off a response.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
I found few explinations for this word.
But there where W.W. 2 cartoons with the lyrics "You're a sap mister Jap" (Popeye sung that - I think that was the title of the cartoon) and in a other one a duck resembling Emperor Hirohito sayed "I'm nothing but a Japanese sap man" (cartoon: "Ducktators"). So what "sap" does mean in this context?
It definitely refers to someone lacking in intelligence--in the opinion of whoever is using the term--and Popeye reinforced that opinion with an ethnic slur.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Right you are, init4fun.
Audiokarma
Old 12-02-2018, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
Right you are, init4fun.
Thank You Chip .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
It definitely refers to someone lacking in intelligence--in the opinion of whoever is using the term--and Popeye reinforced that opinion with an ethnic slur.
As someone born shortly after , I can tell you that with regard to the political correctness of "ethnic slurs" , being at war meant just that , the enemy was the enemy , and referred to in the worst possible light . This berating of the enemy pervaded all aspects of life right up to and including Popeye cartoons , I have military training manuals from WW2 that would make the "Jap = Sap" Popeye dialog seem tame indeed . Nowadays , sure it is considered poor form to use ethnic slurs in reference to national enemies and the one size fits all "Terrorist" takes into account that , for instance , not every Muslim is a head cutting savage and that plenty of them do want to live in peace as respectable world citizens . Back then it was assumed that each and every Japanese citizen was our sworn enemy making it easy to demonize the whole lot of them with "Japs are Saps" insults VS today where slurs about Muslims would certainly offend the majority of Muslims who aren't "the problem" .
Old 12-04-2018, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Thank You Chip .

As someone born shortly after , I can tell you that with regard to the political correctness of "ethnic slurs" , being at war meant just that , the enemy was the enemy , and referred to in the worst possible light . This berating of the enemy pervaded all aspects of life right up to and including Popeye cartoons , I have military training manuals from WW2 that would make the "Jap = Sap" Popeye dialog seem tame indeed . Nowadays , sure it is considered poor form to use ethnic slurs in reference to national enemies and the one size fits all "Terrorist" takes into account that , for instance , not every Muslim is a head cutting savage and that plenty of them do want to live in peace as respectable world citizens . Back then it was assumed that each and every Japanese citizen was our sworn enemy making it easy to demonize the whole lot of them with "Japs are Saps" insults VS today where slurs about Muslims would certainly offend the majority of Muslims who aren't "the problem" .
The term was just US slang that was used a few generations back and seldom heard today.
I'm not a moderator, but I think this thread has run its course.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The term was just US slang that was used a few generations back and seldom heard today.
I'm not a moderator, but I think this thread has run its course.
Yeah, kinda has. And not because it's getting "racially charged" either.....just because it's veered off the road and run straight into a chicken coop