Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Singer TV6U

Just got this GREAT looking little set...Will post pics later:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/singer_tv6u.html

It has a very odd curiosity though. All I have is a raster. A good bright one that fills the screen MOSTLY, but instead of the usual vertical raster problems I see in things like this, I actually have a dark left side. About an inch from the left side I get a fade all the way to ALMOST black. Turning the brightness down will bring it to ALL black except about the last inch of the RIGHT side.

It's not really a runner. I have no reception here at work....but also can't get even a hint of the couple Mexican stations I can usually get. Flipping the little "addon" looking tuner on the bottom from VHF to UHF does pretty much nothing. I can hear through the very faint audio just that I AM switching channels even though I don't even have snow.

All the geometry pots do appear to do their thing at least as far as I can tell from a blank white raster. The pictures on the site I posted up there really don't convey how SMALL this thing is..... It is only a 6" set, so it's a bit astonishing to see this early '60s set is only about as big as one of my 5" "cheap chinese sets".

I did see for the very BRIEF time I had the cover off...there is one VERY large bright yellow flat cap at the top of the thing. It "appears" okay, but I have no idea where this thing is in the circuitry, and if it's one of those I should just replace without question. I still have no capacitor checking abilities.

Anyone have pointers on where to start on this thing? It's built like a TANK...and took me awhile to figure out getting the cover off. This is one I'm likely to try and find a SAMs for. If I could get it to get any reception at all.....It looks like it would be a runner. It certainly IS a very good looking quirky set.

Last edited by AiboPet; 10-05-2012 at 10:30 AM.