Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Arcade, Pinball, and MAME

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Vintage Arcades-What became of the coin-op machines?

So, growing up, I had console games but used to always haunt the many local arcades of the time. Nowadays, not one of those 4 locations exists.
I mean, I have memories (and VHS footage) of some fully-equipped, crowded arcades in NY from about '-87 to '94. We used to drive there in my dad's woodpaneled Jeep. Long time ago .

It is sad to think that all of those flashy, noisy, fun video terminals got recycled or whatever when they shut the places down.
Over the years I have wondered what happened when the video arcades disappeared. On the net, I see that some guys collect these coinop machines, but is anyone still swapping in new 19VJTP22s when they get screen burn?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Once those machines were no longer attracting lots of quarters and their CRTs were dying, they probably had the same fate as console TV sets from homes: Off to the landfills, mostly.

19VJTP22 CRTs are no longer available. Some people have tried finding early-1980s TV sets with that or similar tubes to use, and others use RGB-to-VGA (15.75 kHz to 31.5 kHz or higher) converters and put in flat-panel monitors in their old arcade cabinets.

There are probably lots of these machines still sitting in the storage rooms or basements of bars and other businesses, just as with home TV sets in attics and so on.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

In Chicago there are a few popular "barcades" where the original 80s and 90s machines have been restored back to public operating condition. The bars often serve microbrews and have the games set to free play or run for 25 cents. I'm a big fan.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:35 PM
RCA 741PCS

Emporium is just a few block away from me http://emporiumchicago.com/
Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Emporium is just a few block away from me http://emporiumchicago.com/
bandersen, if you like Emporium I would check out HQ near Diversey and Sheffield. They are larger than Emporium, with games on free play, and more pinball. I'd go on a weekday evening, weekends they are slammed.
Audiokarma
Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Analogue is Awesome

I mi$$ good arcades!!!!!

Ms pacman,frogger,Galaga,dig dug,etc
Old 03-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Microbrews plus pinball? Why did I ever move away from Chicago?

I need to visit those the next time I am back in town to visit my family. Thanks for posting those places.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 04-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Looking For Time

This place is a local favorite in Pittsburgh. It is BYOB and crazy fun . I had my bachelor party there.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

2 other retrocades in Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Microbrews plus pinball? Why did I ever move away from Chicago?

I need to visit those the next time I am back in town to visit my family. Thanks for posting those places.

Chris, next time you're back home, you'll have to check out Underground Retrocade in West Dundee. They have 100 machines! $15 entrance fee. Unlimited free play on all machines.
http://undergroundretrocade.com/

Then if you're still fiending, check out Galloping Ghost. Not as good a location, but they have (I shit you not) 400 machines. Same deal. One admission fee. All games unlimited play.
http://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/games_list.htm

BTW, I'm talking about arcade machines. If you're strictly talking pinball, then stick with Emporium. At least you can have a brew there.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thank you for the information, and welcome to Videokarma, xefned. Both places seem to have lots of good games including some nice pinball machines.

Audiokarma
Old 08-04-2014, 02:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

My partner(Steve) worked as an arcade tech for many years, in Spokane, WA. He loved the job, but unfortuneatly he was let go(not enough work). The company he worked for repaired the arcade games for people as well as owning their own arcade at the mall in Spokane. It was in the basement of the mall, with the ceiling open to the first floor. We were just up in Spokane last month and we went to the mall. Steve wanted to see if anyone he knew still worked there. The arcade was no longer there, and the floor had been all closed off. No longer could you look over a rail into the basement arcade. It was just all floor. Someone had bought a bowling alley in Spokane and also the arcade business. She runs both from the location.

Steve had told me, that at the time, if the arcade game or pinball machine didn't pay for itself in 3 months, it wasn't worth keeping it.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

The super at my old building used to repair arcade machines at his place. I had a loan of two of them at one time, I could just open them and trip the switches to simulate coin insertion. I really liked the swiveling table model with some version of Brick-Out. Probably a 12" color screen in that unit. I could swear that it is partially visible in one of my old photos, I'll have to check that out.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:16 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV
Thank you for the information, and welcome to Videokarma, xefned. Both places seem to have lots of good games including some nice pinball machines.
Ya I wonder though if they have the real 80s arcade consoles and not these newer crap digital machines??

I mean I like MAME but it doesnt sound AS GOOD as ther original games did at all!!

Here is another retro arcade in New Hamsphire

www.classicarcademuseum.org