Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Peanut Head

"A Walk In The Black Forest"* is one of those instrumentals that brings back fond memories of my youth. Kind of like looking at old Heathkit and Allied catalogs. (*Horst Jankowski 1965)

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.

Last edited by CELT; 07-09-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:09 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drh4683
...the best is when they played "A Walk In The Black Forest".
Great old tune... So many great instrumentals I remember from the 60's.

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 10-28-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:11 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Hi Doug,

When 850 went off the air (or changed formats) it broke my heart. You're right, 1690 is a lot of the sameoldsameold, but at least it's better than 104.3 FM, at least for me.

And I like hearing the static bursts when a thunderstorm is on the way!

Clay
Old 07-09-2004, 09:16 PM
The Golden Age of Hi-Fi

Paula!!!!

I've still got mine, too!! I had a hell of a time convincing my dad I needed such an expensive slide rule. He wanted me to get a plastic drug store model. Luckily, he was working for IBM at the time, and several field engineers told him (literally!) that expecting me to go four years in a EE program without a good slide rule was like him going through four years of life without hands at the end of his arms.

That did the trick!
Clay
Old 07-09-2004, 09:24 PM
On Land

I have an AM transmitter that I bought several years ago as a kit from AES. It uses a 12SA7 tube and performs quite well. I could tune in the broadcast from it while standing at my neighbor's back door. It is pretty simple looking and took only a short while to throw together.

Looks like the one Paula is building should be quite a performer! Alot more hi-tech than mine.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma
Old 07-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Tim Tress

That's the advantage of burning your own CDs; you can put on whatever you want. I have been a record collector for 30+ years, and know too well that most oldies shows only play records which hit in the top 5 on the charts. The programmers have also forgotten that there was more to music in the Sixties than the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Motown! (Henry Mancini, Tijuana Brass, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, etc)
Old 07-09-2004, 09:39 PM
wrongsideofthetracks

Paula, Have you checked out circuits for AM tranmitters with tubes??

You might find a better range, more quiet signal, better quality sound, you might be surprised to find out when dealing with tubes in this type of circuit, I think they are far superior. I know you already bought this unit, but for a secondary system, look around for a tubed unit, I think the superior performance will win you over.
Ron
Old 07-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Peanut Head

Yep, tube transmitters can be great. My brother built at least two of them in the 60's where a tube power amp was used as the driver. That, along with a really long (and properly cut antenna) had a range of around 15 miles...and speaking of spastic er, plastic! slide rules...

Old 07-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Paula- Here's a few more for ya:"Summer Samba-Walter Wanderley,1966, "No Matter What Shape"T-Bones,1965 (Alka-Seltzer commercial), "Mission:Impossible",Lalo Schifrin,1968,"Girl From Ipanema, Stan Getz/Astrud Gilberto, 1964,"Michael", The Highwaymen,1961. One more-"Peter Gunn,"Henry Mancini,1958.Yeah,I know, its 1958, but its Mancini, & its a very "baaaaaad" song,just accept it...<Grin> -Sandy G.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:05 AM
AK Member

Hi Sandy,

Great songs!

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 10-28-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Peanut Head

I still have my Liberty 45 of "No Matter What" too. Well worn and pressed off-center to boot! Speaking of Getz, here's one of my favorites that had the hit "Desafinado" on it. "Jazz Samba" Stan Getz & Charlie Byrd (Verve-MGM Jan. 1963)

Old 07-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Nice to see I'm not the only one who likes "easy listening". Of course, who was it that made a big deal about that obscure song "1900 Yesterday" a week or so back ?!? I'd never heard that one completely thru-I'd catch the better part of it maybe once a year thru the years, but now I've got me own copy of it, & I ain't gonna let it go !!! It's one of those songs everybody's heard, but few know what it is-ultimate background music song, sorta like. -Sandy G.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:08 AM
AK Member

Re: Paula, Have you checked out circuits for AM tranmitters with tubes??

Quote:
Originally posted by spkrman57
You might find a better range, more quiet signal, better quality sound, you might be surprised to find out when dealing with tubes in this type of circuit, I think they are far superior. I know you already bought this unit, but for a secondary system, look around for a tubed unit, I think the superior performance will win you over.
Hi Ron,

When I was deciding on an AM transmitter in my price range, I heard positive comments on the better Ramsey unit.

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 10-28-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:37 PM
AK Member

I use a Ramsey FM transmitter fed by a stereo preamp to broadcast all over my house. I've got the computer, a cassette deck, and a VCR plugged into the preamp. The VCR picks up the music channels from my cable and the computer does CD's and internet streaming radio(KBON for Cajun and WDVX for bluegrass are my faves). I found that amplifying the input to the transmitter boosts the relative strength of the signals to where the hum level is inaudible.

It's a neat setup. It also lets me hear the tone when I receive an email. I told my local home theater shop about it and they have started selling transmitters in their installations.

I have an AM transmitter as well, but prefer the sound quality of the FM. I use the "Radio DJ" toy setup to test AM radios I sell but that's about all it's good for.

A buddy wants to sell me a ten watt FM transmitter.

Pirate radio, anyone??

Cheers!
Lee
Old 07-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Peanut Head

Heh heh heh...a FM pirate station would be totally cool. If you get it, be sure to get a properly loaded antenna on that puppy or it will surely burn up!

Audiokarma