Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Be careful, though. One call from some little old lady who can't get her daily dose of Radio Bible College, & Uncle Charlie comes to visit. They tend to get VERY pissy about that sort of thing !! Alone in our gummint, the FCC is judge, jury, & executioner, & they take no prisoners. -Sandy G.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Peanut Head

Well yeah...be sure to select a frequency that is unoccupied day AND night...good luck with that too! (Our AM and FM bands are completely full here.)

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:52 PM
AK Member

There's a proud tradition in the Minneapolis area of pirate radio. People have been thumbing their noses at the FCC since it's inception a century ago. I can think of a few things FCC stands for....

We'd like to start a low power FM (LPFM) station here but guess who isn't allowing any more applications.

You're right, if they ever nail you for an unlicensed broadcast, you can forget about ever being annointed with a license of any kind.

http://www.dxing.com/pirate.htm

Lee
Old 07-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Banned

Hey I know what would be neat. After dinner on a winter's evening you could turn off the TV sets and computers in the house, turn off most of the lights, and pretend that it's 1935 and the depression again and listen to tapes of The Jack Benny Show, Fireside chats from President Roosevelt, and old big bands like Benny Goodman and Jimmy Dorsey through your old radios. You could hear Orson Wells "War of the Worlds" and imagine all of those stupid people who believed it was real, got in their old Studabakers and headed for the hills of West Virginia to escape the Martian invasion. 23 Skidooooo. Here's looking at you kid!

(Your family probably thinks you're nuts already so what the hell.)
Old 07-11-2004, 04:04 PM
AK Member

That sounds like a great idea! That's more or less what I had in mind.

Quote:
Originally posted by soundmind
(Your family probably thinks you're nuts already so what the hell.)
My family KNOWS I'm nuts!

Paula
Audiokarma
Old 07-11-2004, 04:41 PM
Banned

Talking

Hey Indiana. Land of Gene Shepherd. Ever read "In God We Trust, All Other's Pay Cash" or see Gene Shepherd's Christmas Story? He made a living on WOR radio NY partly out of talking about growing up in Indiana during the depression and he was a ham radio operator too. That is until lightning hit the house they were renting and split it in two. Years later as an adult, he went back and could still see where it had been patched.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:19 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Ever read "In God We Trust, All Other's Pay Cash" or see Gene Shepherd's Christmas Story?
Never read the book, but I've certainly read that phrase, pasted behind the counters of countless retail establishments. As far as "A Christmas Story", I can't believe that anyone hasn't seen it by now -- it's a treasure!

Shepherd, though much of his best work was "before my time" (I swear), I do know that he worked at numerous radio stations in Cincinnati that I grew up listening to: WCKY, WKRC, WSAI, WLW. He was evidently something of a latter-day Mark Twain, in his own way.

Paula
Old 07-11-2004, 09:44 PM
Banned

He was what is termed a "racounteur", a story teller. His stories about growing up in Indiana were captivating and hillarious. I listened to him as a high school and college student almost every weekday night on WOR. WBAI in NYC rebroadcasts one program per week early on Tuesday morning on their program Mass Backwards. You might get it on the internet.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Paula- Here's a few more-"A Swingin' Safari" billy Vaughan,1962,"Route 66 Theme", Nelson Riddle, also '62, "Java",Al Hirt, 1964, "Washington Square", Village Stompers, 1963. If you'd like, PM me yr address & I'll make you up a tape of these & others. -Sandy G.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:15 AM
AK Member

As usual, mine is the last post in the thread.

Last edited by Paula; 10-28-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 07-12-2004, 01:15 AM
Rolling Along

Quote:
Hey Indiana. Land of Gene Shepherd. Ever read "In God We Trust, All Other's Pay Cash" or see Gene Shepherd's Christmas Story? He made a living on WOR radio NY partly out of talking about growing up in Indiana during the depression and he was a ham radio operator too. That is until lightning hit the house they were renting and split it in two. Years later as an adult, he went back and could still see where it had been patched.
Please, it's JEAN Shepherd.
Spent most of the evenings of my youth listening to him on WOR. Since he was on late, a lot of that listing was done stealthfully “under the covers” with an earpiece I had wired into an old tube radio. He had a nightly radio show for years and did a weekly live show on Saturday nights from a nightclub call the Limelight. He often talked about building radios, DXing and ham radio as well as working in steel mills, his army days in the Signal Corp and reflecting on life and people. He is credited with coining the phrase “night people.”

Flick Lives!

- Pete
Old 07-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Tim Tress

You could fill a couple of CDs with the great instrumental hits of the 50s and 60s; here are a few more titles:

Midnight In Moscow--Kenny Ball
Apache--Jorgen Ingmann
Apples and Bananas, and Calcutta---Lawrence Welk
Sleepwalk, Teardrop, and Moonlight Serenade---Santo & Johnny
Petite Fleur---Chris Barber's Jazz Band
Lisbon Antigua---Nelson Riddle
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly theme---Hugo Montenegro
Up A Lazy River---Si Zentner
Only You---Frank Pourcel
Canadian Sunset---Hugo Winterhalter
Mister Lucky theme---Henry Mancini (love that Hammond organ!)

I could go on and on! I'm showing my age now, as I can remember hearing most of this stuff on the radio when they were hits (I'll be 49 this year)
Old 07-12-2004, 09:58 PM
AK Member

Thumbs up It's finished!

Well, I managed to get the AMT3000 transmitter assembled this weekend, and it went extremely well! I started on it late Saturday afternoon, and it took about three hours to get it assembled, and another hour or so to get it setup and tested. I have to say that this is one of the best put-together kits I've ever run across -- an excellent design, very well-made PC board, quality components, and clear instructions.

When selecting a frequency to use, the instructions recommend staying toward the high end of the dial, because the antenna is supposedly more sensitive at the higher frequencies. I was able to find a nice empty slot at 1610, but then I realized that some of my radios won't even tune that high. The next lowest open slot was 1390, so that's what I set the dip switches to.

It was then necessary to fine tune the RF section by hooking up a DC voltmeter, and adjusting a trimmer capacitor for highest reading. (Should repeat this adjustment when antenna is in its final location.) The antenna itself is nothing more than a 118" long piece of insulated wire. The 72" long ground wire only needs to be used in certain situations, since a low RF impedance path to ground is provided thru the AC adaptor and the house wiring.

With the antenna and ground wires just laying randomly on the floor, I connected my iPod digital music player to the inputs, plugged in the AC adaptor, and fired up the iPod. I adjusted the Gain, Modulation, and Compression pots according to the instructions, and then went into the next room to tune in one of my AM radios. To my great joy and amazement, rotating the tuning dial to 1390 brought in the cleanest-sounding signal I could have hoped for! No hum whatsoever, no distortion, excellent strength.

Naturally, my next step was to grab a portable radio and go strolling about the house to check the range and directionality of the signal. There was not a single place in the apartment that the signal was at all affected. So then I went out to my car to see if that radio would pick up the signal. Sure enough. So then I started the car and drove out of the parking lot and down the road. It was still plenty listenable to the end of the parking lot (about 100 feet from the apartment), but gradually started to fade as I drove further away. When I got all the way out to the main highway (about 400 feet away, I could still make out the signal, although very faintly. I was impressed!

What I really like about this transmitter is that I don't seem to have any of the problems that I've had with FM transmitters: low range, random fadeout, extreme sensitivity to antenna position, etc. The AMT3000 doesn't seem to care where the radio is in the apartment, or what position it's in, or if you walk past the radio, or carry it around. It just sounds great! So, If any of you happen to be driving past my apartment complex, be sure to tune in to AM1390, WPMS, and catch about ten seconds or so of my superb programming.

Based on this experience, I can heartily recommend this unit to anyone who wants an exceptional AM transmitter, and who has basic electronic kit-building skills. You won't be disappointed!

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 07-03-2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Peanut Head

Excellent Paula! Makes me want to build one too!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:42 PM
AK Member

Congratulations on a winner Paula!
It does look like a fun project.

Carl
Audiokarma