Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sub for a 25XP22

Does anyone know if there is a sub for a 25XP22? I have my mom and dad's set from the late 60s. It was our first color set when I was in High School. The CRT reads very low on all three guns and when you elevate the filament voltage to 8 volts, it shows an H - K short. Also, it is the original kinescope and has a bad case of cataract. I think it a CTC-28.

Here is a thread that I started a long time ago on ARF:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...c.php?t=137346

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 AM
johnny the raster master!

hello there are NO subs for that in my book, but i do have a spare 25xp22

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

25XP22 is a very common tube and mostly paired as a 25AP/XP22. And a 25GP22 are the most direct. There are some 23Vxxx series also. You should have little trouble finding one.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 AM
sampson159

any 23v or 25 inch crt will work electronically.should be an easy task to find one.your crt might need a gentle cleaning if you have a crt checker.i have had very good luck on the rca tubes.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Bob Galanter

I have a 25AP22 and 25GP22 available. Both are NOS rebuilt Chanelmaster tubes. PM me if your are interested.

http://antiquetvguy.com/Web%20Pages/...or%20Sale.html

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Audiokarma
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
any 23v or 25 inch crt will work electronically.should be an easy task to find one.your crt might need a gentle cleaning if you have a crt checker.i have had very good luck on the rca tubes.
That tube's a two time loser! Three weak guns and a nasty cataract.
That CTC28 was TOTL for 1968. It's worth a new CRT.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

I must be lucky, got a zenith from a little old lady a while ago, has the 25XP22 and test great and has a nice pic. It was in a combo, so maybe it was just stashed out in the living room and not used much (for TV anyway). It does have a slight green cat, but nothing so bad I feel the need to correct.

http://videokarma.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=50
Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks to everyone who responded. The CTC-28 is in good condition. As I may have mentioned, it was the first color set that mom and dad bought. I remember that a huge truck stopped in front of the house (blocked the street) and delivered the set. Dad was a buyer for Singer (Link trainer) and had some good contacts. I don't know what he paid for the set but it was less than the price at the stores.

I went into the army shortly after the set was delivered. My cousin would come over to mom and dad's whilst I was away and watch "Mission Impossible". That was in Baltimore, MD. My cousin eventually moved to NE Florida years later. And, I moved to the same street, three doors away. So, the set has followed us and I wanted to eventually get it back into shape, complete restoration, replace the caps etc. I usually work on B/W tube sets but also have a CTC-9C set there. Right now, I am in Australia and will be back in the US at the end of March. Then, I want to get going. I will contact you guys then.

Thanks for the help, I don't get any time with the soldering iron here in Melbourne
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

you will like working on that 9, very nice sets.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
you will like working on that 9, very nice sets.
I am sure that I will. I got it off of Washington,DC CL over a year ago. It had a brightener on the CRT. All three guns had zero emission. But I had bought a care load of used CRTs a few years ago. One of them was a 21CPY22 (I think) which was the correct CRT. Emissions on that tube looked new. So, I changed the CRT and stuffed the three electrolytic capacitors. I was rewarded with a very bright raster that is way out of adjustment. No redplating of the HOT. So, I was happy to know that the CTC-9C has the major components in good condition. I look forward to replacing the caps, cleaning it up and watching it. I bought enough NOS tubes to have any that I need, including the HOT.

Thanks again guys.
Audiokarma
Old 12-19-2012, 10:14 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

For the 25XP22, any 25xxP22 with the same socket will work, and also many 23VxxP22 types will be an upgrade. My favorite is the 23VCGP22, which was the deep black-face Sylvania upgrade tube. Note: 25VxxP22 will NOT work (too big). The 25XP22 was actually a lower-priced catch-all substitute for most any and all 23" delta gun tubes.

Charles