Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:32 PM
Motorola Minion

What IS after ATSC

I mean for those of us dependent on OTA, how long until I hafta scrapall my converter boxes?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:14 PM
M is for Memory

What is after OTA? DOOOOOooom!

IIRC it is going to be a market driven transition, so those boxes may have use for some time yet...Once they are done just get a ATSC 3.0 box and a HDMI to composite adapter to replace them.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-28-2017, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cellphone TV only since they are hogging up all the TV channels..I'll stick with internet TV via Youtube and other free video sites.I could care less about the mainstream nets since they all air rubbish now.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Motorola Minion

I'm really not trying to be pretentious, but with over 60 channels, preamps and big antennas out the wazoo, but only watching a tiny fraction of subchannels like METV, etc mostly for old movies, cartoons and sitcoms of the 1960's.

Sure, almost everything else and all commercials are rubbish to me. I mean, just listen to Frank Zappa'a "I am the slime from the video" from 1976, its been going down hill since I first picked up a HV probe.

Dependence on OTA is due to my serious aversion to paying for any content via cable, DBS or anything else.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

You can relax.

"...every TV station that converts to ATSC 3.0 will be required to continue to provide ATSC 1.0 service."

Read the whole article HERE

Audiokarma
Old 04-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Seems to me the folks who insist that all this stuff be changed NEVER heard the old adage " If it ain't broke, DON'T go "Fixing it"...
Old 04-28-2017, 06:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Seems to me the folks who insist that all this stuff be changed NEVER heard the old adage " If it ain't broke, DON'T go "Fixing it"...

I completely agree with you! Further to your point, backward compatibility was considered a high priority (or even critical) once upon a time. Now, it almost seems as though system designers avoid it like the plague. OK, I'm exaggerating, but it sure isn't held with much reverence these days, generally speaking.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've noticed the number of interesting digital sub channels increasing lately, so I don't think over the air TV is going anywhere. But what worries me is that if they change format again and we all have to get new converter boxes, what if those won't output anything useful: no composite video or ch 3/4 RF output of good old NTSC. Maybe the new boxes will output in the current version of ATSC on ch3/4 and we'll have to hook our new converter boxes to our current converter boxes Or I suppose I could just get every show I like on VHS or DVD and be done with it.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:30 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
You can relax.

"...every TV station that converts to ATSC 3.0 will be required to continue to provide ATSC 1.0 service."

Read the whole article HERE

That is the best news I've heard (read) all day. I don't want to have to convert my TV to yet another broadcast standard if it isn't absolutely necessary.

I am not against progress, but this business of the TV industry "reinventing the wheel" every so often (DTV, then 4K, then eventually 8K..., and now ATSC 3.0) makes me wonder. I like DTV because of its much sharper picture and more channels (by way of subchannels of existing stations), but some of these other innovations....sheeesh! Ever-larger screens, curved screens, and, again, ATSC 3.0, to name but three. At least the FCC is requiring (not simply asking or allowing) TV stations to operate using the ATSC 1.0 standard along side of the newer one; this should calm viewers' fears that their new flat-screen HDTV will be rendered obsolete when the new standard takes effect. It won't happen. That is, there will be a new broadcast standard, but the nation's TV stations and networks, which have already spent millions (!) on upgrading their transmitters, studios and antennas for DTV, will not necessarily have to switch to ATSC 3.0 unless they desire to do so. Even if and/or when they do make the switch, however, viewers need not worry about the change rendering their expensive HDTVs obsolete in the blink of an eye, as DTV itself did to NTSC CRT TVs.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:03 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
... in the blink of an eye, as DTV itself did to NTSC CRT TVs.
Actually, there was an 8-year long transition before the analog cutoff. Eventually, there will be a similar transition to ATSC 3.0 only (except that it may be different dates for different stations), but I expect people will not pay attention until the last few months, just as they didn't pay attention to the analog shutdown date until it was almost too late. As before, this will make no practical difference for pay service subscribers.
Audiokarma
Old 04-29-2017, 06:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
That is the best news I've heard (read) all day. I don't want to have to convert my TV to yet another broadcast standard if it isn't absolutely necessary.
If the transition is handled like the current transition here (Australia) from MPEG2 to H264 you will probably be forced to upgrade the converter boxes sooner rather than later. I've scrapped all of my MPEG2 only boxes as they are basically useless now.

Yes, every channel still broadcasts it's main channel in SD MPEG2 that even the oldest 1st generation converter boxes and digital TVs can still receive - however the bit rate keeps dropping and it is reaching the point that it is unwatchable. The last of the HD MPEG2 channels converted to H264 recently. I think some stations are dynamically adjusting the bitrate depending on what considered higher priority as sometimes some channels look fine, but at others they look like youtube at 360p.

I watch more youtube than I do OTA TV, so it doesn't really effect my own viewing that much. It just makes it harder to sell used TVs.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:37 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
There's always room for improvement and plenty of profit to be had in snake oil.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Why, WHY upgrade to better pictures when the programming hasn't improved in DECADES? Broadcast TV is mediocre and cable TV is HUNDREDS of SUCKEY programs! I don't need higher definition or better sound. I'll stick with DVD, Amazon or the subchannels.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:08 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
Why, WHY upgrade to better pictures when the programming hasn't improved in DECADES? Broadcast TV is mediocre and cable TV is HUNDREDS of SUCKEY programs! I don't need higher definition or better sound. I'll stick with DVD, Amazon or the subchannels.
Hear! Hear!

My parents wouldn't watch "Two Broke Girls" in 4K, HD, SD, or on a 32 line mechanical set; they find it repulsive, period.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:17 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Hear! Hear!

My parents wouldn't watch "Two Broke Girls" in 4K, HD, SD, or on a 32 line mechanical set; they find it repulsive, period.
I am 60 years old (will be 61 in July) and have no use whatsoever for the newer TV shows (Two Broke Girls or any other), either. I watch the subchannels of channels 19 and 8 in Cleveland (MeTV and Antenna TV, respectively), plus my own collection of classic TV shows on DVD and VHS, as those are the shows I grew up with in the '60s-'70s. The only network programs I watch anymore are the NBC Nightly News and, on rare occasions, Dateline, on channel 3 in Cleveland.

The quality of today's network TV shows has gone right down the drain as far as I am concerned. Those shows wouldn't look any better in any of the newer formats than they look now. I am reminded of something I read in an old issue of, IIRC, the (now defunct) Electronics Illustrated magazine years ago, in its letters to the editor department, in which someone wondered what the violence on TV shows of that time (late sixties) would look like on a 50+-inch wall-mounted TV. The writer went on: "Heck, even a (TV) station (test) pattern (shown on a standard TV) will frighten our children!" There was a fictional cartoon picture near the letter of a baby in a playpen, with a large-screen TV on the wall. The set was showing a test pattern from a fictional TV station, "WNVI", bigger than life, and the baby was screaming its heart out, scared to death. I can remember (in fact, I will never forget) seeing a Conelrad test on TV when I was seven years old, in 1963. We had a 21-inch b&w Crosley TV at that time, and I was watching a program that had just gone to a commercial. The Conelrad test came on after that commercial; when I saw that huge Civil Defense logo on our 21-inch TV screen, I jumped up, scared out of my wits, and ran down the hall from our living room to the back of our house--that's how frightened I was. I was sure something awful or even horrible was about to happen.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-30-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Audiokarma