Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sony BMCJ-888U Betamovie Signal Converter Unit

Anyone use one of these wayyyy back in the day? I have one connected to a BMC-110 to perform a rear element focus on a replacement Trinicon tube. Using the "Video Out" composite jack on the front and the RF out on the back only yields what appears to be an out of sync picture with a standard TV set. It was enough to determine focusing, but I'd like to be correct. I see mention in the service literature of a "special purpose monitor", but this is not elaborated on at all. Can anyone tell me what I'm dealing with? It appears to be 5-6 repeating images horizontally. Here is a photo of the camera's output:

Old 05-13-2017, 04:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember those, I worked for Sony then and just out of School, the "special" monitor was a Multiformat pal/Secam Monitor with an adjustable H freq /modified Horiz Osc to go Higher than 15.750 but I can't remember if you had to choose Pal or Pal-M for the" forced playback", that is why you see 4x the H rate ,this has to do with Circuit Design and the Drum speed during Record, that also why these cameras never had a video out, just try and find one of sony's small professional monitors, most of them are multiformat and will go above 15.750 .
also you can use that Adaptor to force the deck into playback to View the RF envelope to align tape path using a Scope. ( using the Forced playback Mode)
sorry for the typing errors, I was trying to type on cell phone

Last edited by wiseguy; 05-14-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you VERY much for the explanation. I'll see what I can find as far as a Sony pro monitor.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Assuming that this wouldn't be NTSC, why not try something like an old NEC multisync monitor like a Multisync XL. They would sync to pretty much anything.