Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:05 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmeplease View Post
My aunt has one that age and has used it daily for decades. I have one and it works but I dont use it. Im sure many people are still using them. Its no crazier than watching old tv's, lol
These toasters were made to last, I'm sure, which is something we don't see anymore in mass-produced appliances, or anything else, for that matter. As I mentioned in a previous post, my grandmother had a toaster like the one being discussed here. It lasted years, if not decades, and may well have been working even after she died in 1985; this speaks volumes for the manner in which appliances were built in the 1920s to about the 1960s. We wll never see this kind of quality again, as I am about to explain.

I had a Sharp microwave for 20 years; it finally gave up last month, but I wasn't disappointed when it quit. It gave me excellent service in that time (I bought it new when I moved to my apartment in 1999), which again speaks volumes for how things were built until everything was being made in Japan and elsewhere in the Orient.

However, when my Sharp microwave finally quit (it began throwing sparks near the end, and I saw a bit of smoke in the cavity as well the last time I used it), I bought a Black and Decker microwave, which works very well--for now, anyway. I do not expect the new one to last anywhere nearly as long as the old one did, given the cheap and often slipshod way many if not most appliances are built nowadays; however, what can you do?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
These toasters were made to last, I'm sure, which is something we don't see anymore in mass-produced appliances, or anything else, for that matter. As I mentioned in a previous post, my grandmother had a toaster like the one being discussed here. It lasted years, if not decades, and may well have been working even after she died in 1985; this speaks volumes for the manner in which appliances were built in the 1920s to about the 1960s. We wll never see this kind of quality again, as I am about to explain.

I had a Sharp microwave for 20 years; it finally gave up last month, but I wasn't disappointed when it quit. It gave me excellent service in that time (I bought it new when I moved to my apartment in 1999), which again speaks volumes for how things were built until everything was being made in Japan and elsewhere in the Orient.

However, when my Sharp microwave finally quit (it began throwing sparks near the end, and I saw a bit of smoke in the cavity as well the last time I used it), I bought a Black and Decker microwave, which works very well--for now, anyway. I do not expect the new one to last anywhere nearly as long as the old one did, given the cheap and often slipshod way many if not most appliances are built nowadays; however, what can you do?
The B&D oven is probably a low power one, something like 600 or 700 watts.
They don't cook fast enough for many users.
The GE over-the-range microwave in my place is 1800 watts and you have to watch how it's used. It could easily overcook or make an item too hot. It's made in Korea and been trouble-free for 18 years.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Still running one of these. Think mine is a 1979
Old 09-22-2021, 09:47 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The B&D oven is probably a low power one, something like 600 or 700 watts.
They don't cook fast enough for many users.
The GE over-the-range microwave in my place is 1800 watts and you have to watch how it's used. It could easily overcook or make an item too hot. It's made in Korea and been trouble-free for 18 years.
The cooking time is not an issue for me. If the item I'm cooking isn't hot enough by the end of the cooking cycle I originally set the microwave for, I just run the same item another minute or so. Nine times out of ten that does the trick.

BTW, I purchased this particular B&D microwave because of the price point (well under $100) and because it is much smaller and lighter (25 pounds) than the one I had. As it is, I needed some help to discard the old Sharp microwave due to its size and weight (due to a bad fall I had several years ago, I am somewhat unsteady on my feet, so I don't trust myself carrying anything that heavy anymore) and to install the new one (even at 25 pounds, it is still heavy enough to throw me off balance all too easily).

Your Korean-made GE microwave is doing well after 18 years. My Sharp microwave was in terrible shape when I finally got rid of it; the paint was flaking off the cavity, which may explain why the microwave was throwing sparks shortly before I ordered the new one. The old one would probably still be working today had it not been for that problem, although there were other small things going wrong with it by that time as well, such as the end-of-cycle signal having become so weak as to be inaudible; this signal also alerted the user when any button on the keypad was pressed, and of course I could barely hear that signal either.

The sparks I saw when the Sharp microwave was running were an unmistakable sign the machine was very close to the end of its useful life; had I continued to use it in this condition it could well have started a fire, if the microwave did not blow a fuse first. I live in an apartment, so I have to watch these things very carefully, for obvious reasons.

I have no idea, however, how or why the paint started falling off the inside of the cavity. I did not in any way, at any time, abuse the microwave ( e. g. slamming dishes, etc. into it), so this is truly a mystery to me. I am at a loss to explain why this even started in the first place.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-22-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The cooking time is not an issue for me. If the item I'm cooking isn't hot enough by the end of the cooking cycle I originally set the microwave for, I just run the same item another minute or so. Nine times out of ten that does the trick.

BTW, I purchased this particular B&D microwave because of the price point (well under $100) and because it is much smaller and lighter (25 pounds) than the one I had. As it is, I needed some help to discard the old Sharp microwave due to its size and weight (due to a bad fall I had several years ago, I am somewhat unsteady on my feet, so I don't trust myself carrying anything that heavy anymore) and to install the new one (even at 25 pounds, it is still heavy enough to throw me off balance all too easily).

Your Korean-made GE microwave is doing well after 18 years. My Sharp microwave was in terrible shape when I finally got rid of it; the paint was flaking off the cavity, which may explain why the microwave was throwing sparks shortly before I ordered the new one. The old one would probably still be working today had it not been for that problem, although there were other small things going wrong with it by that time as well, such as the end-of-cycle signal having become so weak as to be inaudible; this signal also alerted the user when any button on the keypad was pressed, and of course I could barely hear that signal either.

The sparks I saw when the Sharp microwave was running were an unmistakable sign the machine was very close to the end of its useful life; had I continued to use it in this condition it could well have started a fire, if the microwave did not blow a fuse first. I live in an apartment, so I have to watch these things very carefully, for obvious reasons.

I have no idea, however, how or why the paint started falling off the inside of the cavity. I did not in any way, at any time, abuse the microwave ( e. g. slamming dishes, etc. into it), so this is truly a mystery to me. I am at a loss to explain why this even started in the first place.
It's amazing how inexpensive they can build an item today! I bought a Panasonic microwave oven in 1986. It was $269 back then. It's a 650 watt and it seemed to do every thing I needed. It was used daily until 2003 when I moved into my present home. I still have it in my warehouse.
Audiokarma
Old 09-25-2021, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

I rarely buy anything modern anymore minus video. I use a 1959 Frigidaire fridge, a early 1980s maytag washer and a 1935 maytag washer. Unsure how old my microwave is but its old. Old wood stoves, chairs, cars, trucks, phones, fans. My house was built in 1878. I jjust cant see wasting money on new things that wont last so I buy old and most will outlast me. The fridge my parents bought new and it was used for years, then was outside under cover for a few years at a campsite, then in a barn until I dug it out to use it again. Try that with anything newer. We made good stuff in this country and a few others. Now its all junk. Sad
Old 09-25-2021, 12:14 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmeplease View Post
I rarely buy anything modern anymore minus video. I use a 1959 Frigidaire fridge, a early 1980s maytag washer and a 1935 maytag washer. Unsure how old my microwave is but its old. Old wood stoves, chairs, cars, trucks, phones, fans. My house was built in 1878. I jjust cant see wasting money on new things that wont last so I buy old and most will outlast me. The fridge my parents bought new and it was used for years, then was outside under cover for a few years at a campsite, then in a barn until I dug it out to use it again. Try that with anything newer. We made good stuff in this country and a few others. Now its all junk. Sad
I wouldn't say it's all junk, although I will say the quality is not what it once was. I have an Aiwa bookshelf stereo system which still works every bit as well as when I bought it 21 years ago, except for the dual cassette decks which quit a few years ago. The CD player and AM-FM stereo tuner, however, are still working very well; since most of the music I like is available on CD these days (and I have a large collection of CDs), I am not concerned about the failure of the cassette decks, although I have an old (1979) Radio Shack cassette deck in storage as I write this. The deck works, and well, but I think there must be an intermittent connection on one of the preamplifier output jacks since one stereo channel cuts out once in a while. Since most of my music is on CDs I already have, however, as I said, the problem with the RS cassette deck doesn't bother me.

BTW, if your microwave oven is as old as the one I replaced over a month ago, and yours still works, that's great; I hope it continues to give you good service. I don't know what make your microwave is, but if it is a well-known brand such as GE, Tappan, etc. and was made two or three decades or more ago, it's not surprising it still works. In fact, if yours is one of the original Tappan Radarange microwaves, and it still works, I'd hold on to it as long as it does work. If I remember correctly, the Tappan Radarange was one of the first mass-produced microwaves in the U. S.

The problem with today's appliances is they are not built with the same quality, precision, etc. as they once were; moreover, most appliances, like almost everything else these days, are made offshore, even though they still bear American brand names. My new microwave, for example, is branded Black & Decker, although I have absolutely no idea who actually manufactured it. My best guess is it was made for B&D by some obscure offshore company no one in this country ever heard of. However, I still have a B&D toaster and a one-cup coffeemaker (same make). The toaster still works well after 21 years, but I replaced the coffeemaker several months ago when the thermostat welded shut. That B&D coffeemaker (my first one, the one in which the thermostat welded) lasted twenty years and was used daily, so I think it gave me excellent service.

Ooops! I goofed. The Radarange microwaves were not made by Tappan, but by Amana, IIRC. I don't know if Tappan ever made its own microwave ovens; they may well have gone out of business by about the 1980s or so, if not earlier, before these ovens became as popular as they are today.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 10-09-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I wouldn't say it's all junk, although I will say the quality is not what it once was. I have an Aiwa bookshelf stereo system which still works every bit as well as when I bought it 21 years ago, except for the dual cassette decks which quit a few years ago. The CD player and AM-FM stereo tuner, however, are still working very well; since most of the music I like is available on CD these days (and I have a large collection of CDs), I am not concerned about the failure of the cassette decks, although I have an old (1979) Radio Shack cassette deck in storage as I write this. The deck works, and well, but I think there must be an intermittent connection on one of the preamplifier output jacks since one stereo channel cuts out once in a while. Since most of my music is on CDs I already have, however, as I said, the problem with the RS cassette deck doesn't bother me.

BTW, if your microwave oven is as old as the one I replaced over a month ago, and yours still works, that's great; I hope it continues to give you good service. I don't know what make your microwave is, but if it is a well-known brand such as GE, Tappan, etc. and was made two or three decades or more ago, it's not surprising it still works. In fact, if yours is one of the original Tappan Radarange microwaves, and it still works, I'd hold on to it as long as it does work. If I remember correctly, the Tappan Radarange was one of the first mass-produced microwaves in the U. S.

The problem with today's appliances is they are not built with the same quality, precision, etc. as they once were; moreover, most appliances, like almost everything else these days, are made offshore, even though they still bear American brand names. My new microwave, for example, is branded Black & Decker, although I have absolutely no idea who actually manufactured it. My best guess is it was made for B&D by some obscure offshore company no one in this country ever heard of. However, I still have a B&D toaster and a one-cup coffeemaker (same make). The toaster still works well after 21 years, but I replaced the coffeemaker several months ago when the thermostat welded shut. That B&D coffeemaker (my first one, the one in which the thermostat welded) lasted twenty years and was used daily, so I think it gave me excellent service.
Black & Decker bought the small appliance division from GE.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

I took a look. Its a GE Model J EM3 001, manufacture date of 1985. Its not real big.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

At home I use a Panasonic microwave, 1200 watts, that I got about 15 years ago.
At the office I use a no-name Asian piece of junk 650 watt one that must be 30 years old and still works well, though it doesn't get as much use as the home one. At the office my students used it a very lot before I retired.

But at home I also use a toaster/convection oven even more. Its modern and fairly safe. Its thermostat is also very accurate.
Audiokarma
Old 11-24-2021, 07:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Is that the one with inverter technology with a stainless steel front?
I found one on the roadside like that. It had a blown up GE-MOV and a burned trace on the control board. After fixing that (and cleaning it up), I sold it on Craigslist for $20.
I think Panasonic builds a better microwave than TV's.
I sold it to a food truck operator who needed high power and stainless steel. (The state requires stainless steel for food service businesses.)
He showed me a binder of licenses and permits and other bull$#!+ documents necessary for the truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panmw.jpg (30.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-05-2021, 02:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sharp R930cs MW

Went by the free public recycling bin yesterday and there was a Sharp MW in there from '07. It was huge and heavy. Looked like a commercial MW. Stainless steel about 900 Watts. Seems to me these large MW's would probably be cost effective to repair. Couldn't lift it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharp_MW1.jpg (48.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Sharp_MW2.jpg (60.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-13-2021, 06:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

You should always pick up a microwave, no matter how bad it looks, just to harvest the magnetron. They're very pricey if you have to buy one.
They're easy to test, even without power. Just check for a short with your DVM between the filament pins and the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MW1.jpg (80.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg MW2.jpg (91.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg MW3.jpg (65.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-18-2023, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well here's a really weird turn of events!

I'm at the Value Village and on the shelf is a fancy looking green handled chrome toaster. It looks like it was barely used.

Looks to be the late 60's or even the early 70's and sold by Eatons under the Viking appliance line. Fully CSA certified.
(Edited: It's a rebrand of a Proctor-Silex from 1970/1971)
This is a toaster I'd use, except for one thing. The plastics are excellent. The cord is likewise in perfect condition. but it doesn't use Mica for the heating element insulation. It uses ASBESTOS!

This is going to live in a bag for the meantime. In the future I have an idea to make a clear acrylic enclosure to store it in so it can be on display.

Last edited by MIPS; 10-19-2023 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2023, 11:29 PM
M is for Memory

Asbestos EH? Time to break out the grinder and nose straw.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma