Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA CTC-5 Vertical Output Transformer and/or Centering Pot

In another thread, I was advised that I should look carefully at the vertical output transformer and/or vertical centering pot in my CTC-5 for the cause of a failure of vertical sweep. I haven't been able to troubleshoot the set yet, but in the meantime I've been wondering how hard it would be to find a VOT or centering pot for a CTC-5. If old stock has long since been exhausted even from the darkest corners of the earth, is anyone rewinding VOT's? Can the pot be repaired using pieces from other pots that can be found? Is the only option basically to find a parts donor chassis?
Old 03-13-2020, 12:23 PM
M is for Memory

Most pots are obtainable or can be cobbled together(IIRC Mark Opatt specializes in recreating vintage controls)...if it is a rheostat (wire wound resistor based pot) that can get tricky. Most sets used rheostats for vertical centering, but RCA around that time used carbon comp pots in places you'd expect rheostats so anything is possible.

Vertical output transformers and most sweep transformers are usually hard to find for most sets. You might find one (might take a LONG time), but don't count on it.

There are companies that can wind transformers to spec, and home rewinding is possible (I once did it on a Zenith monochrome vertical output), but they are expensive and tedious respectively.

If you already paid for it then in your shoes I'd trace the fault down and test the parts for correct resistance and confirm they failed before trying to source them.

That bang you heard could be a very wide variety of things. Could be something as simple as the ground and B+ shorting together from a poorly routed replacement cap lead.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 03-24-2020 at 11:15 AM. Reason: blasted smartphone autocorrect.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've had trouble with intermittent vertical on mine. It's happened twice; I'll pull the chassis, check everything 4 times, sub tubes, etc. Then, all of a sudden, it starts working again. Right now it's okay...I wish I had a good answer. Come to think of it I don't recall checking the vert centering (don't even recall where it is!) I'll take a glance at it tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a couple NOS RCA vertical transformers - post the part number and I can dig though my stash.
Dan
Old 03-18-2020, 03:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

The vertical output transformer for my CTC-5AA appears to be RCA part 102133. (And while we are at it, the flyback is part 102132.) If you have either or both of these, please PM me!
Audiokarma
Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

I don't have either of those - (102133 crosses to a Thordarson Y107 yoke)?
I have 113390, 115835, and 116119 in vert., and a half dozen Thordarson 26S__
Dan
Old 03-19-2020, 10:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for looking, Yarehobbyso$. 1956 was a very long time ago, so I'm not surprised when such parts are not found. I checked the RCA parts list and also SAMS. They match. For a CTC-5AA, the RCA part numbers printed in those lists are:

102132 Flyback
102133 Vertical Output Transformer
102285 Deflection Yoke

I doubt if I need a flyback or yoke. I might need a VOT when I eventually get access to the chassis. Thanks for looking!