Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE 14T007,First TV Restoration

Bought it at an estate sale this morning and wanted some advice as far as a tube TV restoration. I've restored plenty of tube radios in the past,so I'm familiar with tube circuit safety,paper caps,testing and replacing tubes,etc. I've just not messed with a TV before. I assume that it needs to be handled like a radio;capacitor replacement (electrolytic and paper) before powering it on even though it is in good shape. Also,is the screen protector plastic on these? I've seen glass ones,but this one feels like plastic.Is there anything else I need to know?
Old 08-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Screen cover is plastic on these.
Capacitor replacement will likely make it run, there will probably be other issues like bad resistors that will need to be dealt with as needed.

I recall these being a bit of a pain to recap because the boards are mounted on the steel chassis and need to be detached to access the back side, screws however, not soldered so a bit easier.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 AM
M is for Memory

Original service lit advised not soldering on the foil side of the board unless necessary. It advised to crush the original part on top of the board and solder the replacement to the lead stubs of the crushed original.

They are not service friendly as a first resto, and if HV is gone it can be a royal pain to diagnose.
I had one of these as a first tube set. After months of screwing with it I set it aside for ~10 years till I had done enough easier (and comparably hard) sets to be able to do it for sure. I had a parts set and a original still sort of working on original caps....Did all three in the course of a couple of weeks.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4